Oups !

My Huey box just fall behind my stash...! Oh man, it will be hard to dig it out before a while :jaw-dropping:

Oliver, we need a step by step on your paint. Hey, why not on the hoist ?

Forgive me Oliver, I may ask too much and I know sharing a build is a lot of work

Norbert

Oups !

My Huey box just fall behind my stash...! Oh man, it will be hard to dig it out before a while :o

Oliver, we need a step by step on your paint. Hey, why not on the hoist ?

Forgive me Oliver, I may ask too much and I know sharing a build is a lot of work

Norbert

Hi Norbert,

I love to do a step by step. Anything you guys want to know ...ill be more than happy to share how I paint the Huey. Just let me know.

I plan to paint the hoist by next week.

Oliver

Holy Hell, Oliver.... I swear I should melt my stash and turn it into a set of knitting needles. Damn, that's just nuts.

No, dont melt anything. LOL

Thanks so much for the kind words,

Oliver

Your work on painting and detailing are excellent. What I don't get is why not apply those skills to make it accurately? You state that you don't care if it is accurate or not, which is evident in the "stretchers", hoist and ammo box (on a MedEvac?). Your builds would be much better if they were accurate.

Your work on painting and detailing are excellent. What I don't get is why not apply those skills to make it accurately? You state that you don't care if it is accurate or not, which is evident in the "stretchers", hoist and ammo box (on a MedEvac?). Your builds would be much better if they were accurate.

...because, and just speculation on my part, he is also having fun and increasing his skill set as well as doing this as a hobby and break from his painstakingly accurate work as a prop master on several TV shows and theater productions.

Though, one would question why not take up knitting as a stress reliever?

But since I know Oliver and hang out with him at both my show VALLEY CON here in LA and at a mutual hobby club in Burbank we go to, I merely stand in awe of his work, and I learn from him. Accuracy is fine and noble, but at what point does it tend to obscure are "hobby" and screw up our "fun"....as far as "better" - they're awesome as they are, and I get to see all of his work close up - truly amazing what he has done over the years.

I wasn't trying to downplay or degrade his work. I am just one who strives for accuracy. For me that is the fun part, making them as accurate as possible, the whole process of researching them, etc. To each their own though.

Edited by HeavyArty

Because, as was pointed out, he's doing it for fun, for creative release, to take a break from a job where accuracy is demanded and expected of him. Considering I build nothing but speculative models, I can appreciate that, it's nice to take the artistic license with things. Accuracy and Effect are not bonded together, they can happen at the same time, but you can have awesome effect without being perfectly on the mark, true Artillery is proof in pudding of that - Fire For Effect is not always something people would call Accurate, but boy does it have an effect.

I've seen ship models where they had details all over the place, extra equipment in all manner of places, and I'll admit, the effect was stunning, quite impressive, but you step back and think for a moment, then realize it's perhaps a little Too busy, but let's take a moment and remember here, and I'm going to seperate this for effect:

What we are doing is Art. Like painting, or photography, or sculpture, there are many different styles - Abstraction, Realism, Surrealism, etc. Not all of us proscribe to the same school or style of presentation. However, it is no less artistic what a person does because it does not fall into your school of thought. The world of paintings would be stale, and bland, if the only school presented was that of Realism, or Pointilism, or Brutalism. Take but a moment, gentlemen, and recall that we, in the modeling world, stand at the convergent point between Painting and Sculpture, that we are an art, as much as a science, and that Artistic License is not a crime, but a difference of opinion in this field.

Alright, there's my little philosophical moment done, I'm outta here for now.

I got it and again, didn't mean to diminish his work. I don't consider what I do as art. I am not an artist. I see it as representing actual vehicles as accurately as possible. I guess I am in the realism camp if you want to put an artsy fartsy tag on it. Just the way I see it. As I said, to each their own.

I was not actually meaning it as an attack, per se, but directing people to the differences in schools and thought, and that it's a diverse field.

There's nothing wrong with realism and the replication of existing subjects, but it's equally important not to let it exist as an ultimate limit to things - if everybody stuck to what had only been demonstrated and proven, and nobody went out the far end, the helicopter might well have not come to exist, we wouldn't have HIMAT aircraft, guided missiles wouldn't exist, etc etc etc. A little outside the box is always a good thing.

I don't see how much of the last post applies, but O.K. I am not talking about stifling initiative, but if you are building a Huey, it should look like an accurate Huey. If not, say you are building a what-if project. Thats my only point.

Hi guys.

I just got home and read all the back-and-forth blogs that came in today regarding my Huey and whether or not it's accurate. Since it's my build that's being discussed, just wanted to throw in my thoughts.

First I would like to thank everyone for the interest and the support on the Huey. It makes my day everytime I get constructive feedback. Because I still consider myself to be at the learning stage I build for fun and because I love modeling and everything that goes with it. I'm not doing it for a living or to have it judged by the military.

I've said from the beginning that my Huey is a ficticious build and that it does not exist in that version. Although I appreciate all the feedback I'm still going to continue to build it from my vision.

I understand that some modelers spend countless hours on research to make sure they get just the right unit, color, model or pattern. As I said I'm still learning so when I get a feeling that I want to figure out how to make something that's what I do.

As was already so "artfully" expressed, if everyone built exactly the same it would get pretty boring. Imagine going to a museum and every painting is accurately just like the one next to it. I don't agree that in order for anyone to be better in their modeling they must always be accurate. I do however respect all opinions. I hope that my Huey can still be enjoyed with an open mind.

Thanks again for the interest.

Oliver

Hi guys.

I just got home and read all the back-and-forth blogs that came in today regarding my Huey and whether or not it's accurate. Since it's my build that's being discussed, just wanted to throw in my thoughts.

First I would like to thank everyone for the interest and the support on the Huey. It makes my day everytime I get constructive feedback. Because I still consider myself to be at the learning stage I build for fun and because I love modeling and everything that goes with it. I'm not doing it for a living or to have it judged by the military.

I've said from the beginning that my Huey is a ficticious build and that it does not exist in that version. Although I appreciate all the feedback I'm still going to continue to build it from my vision.

I understand that some modelers spend countless hours on research to make sure they get just the right unit, color, model or pattern. As I said I'm still learning so when I get a feeling that I want to figure out how to make something that's what I do.

As was already so "artfully" expressed, if everyone built exactly the same it would get pretty boring. Imagine going to a museum and every painting is accurately just like the one next to it. I don't agree that in order for anyone to be better in their modeling they must always be accurate. I do however respect all opinions. I hope that my Huey can still be enjoyed with an open mind.

Thanks again for the interest.

Oliver

Oliver,

I seriously doubt you'll find anyone that loves the Huey more than me and I am enjoying your build. Course I have known for quite a while where you were headed so I've had time to adjust to the idea of a cammo Marine medevac Army gunship! When it comes to what-ifs, go big or go home my friend! Rock on, and build this beast. I can't wait to see what's next.

Ray

Wow! That's quite a discussion here! :D

As for me, I fully accept Sauraqnmon position despite I'm a rivet counter and try making my builds to look as the real things, but...

Most of us build their models just for fun, for their own gratification and from the other hand, modeling is a kind of art.

I hope you will agree that OOB build can look awesom being painted and weathered deftly. We can say 'Wow, it's really awesome!' watching the build, but if one makes model so as it looks as an exact replica of the real thing down to the last rivet, but if he paint it in a slipshod manner, what can we say then?

So I agree with Oliver in his point that he builds his Huey just for joy, for his own pleasure, not to be judged. And I follow his Huey in-progress threads with a great pleasure and admiration. His skill is amazing and his ART of painting is commendable and brings joy to all fellow modelers and especially Huey fans despite how strictly they judge the build. :thumbsup:

Come on Oliver, keep it up!

Alexander.

;)

"It's only a model"........

Build what you want. You have not misled us. Don't worry about that. Man, if I post any pics of ANY of my models, I will be in serious trouble.

Now, at the museum, I would be disappointed if anything was painted in a manner that wasn't period-correct, or what not. This isn't a museum. I can tell you right now that I appreciate the skill, eye, and abilities of those modelers that put out those models that are fantastically accurate and represent exactly what unit they served in....etc....

Oliver, you have demonstrated, to me at least, that you have the ability to do that same detail. You did not say that is the direction you were going in. Maybe that got lost in all the posts. We can work with that. Next time, one BIG LONG POST about your build. Hehe. That way, no confusion (I hope).

Keep on keeping on Oliver. I LOVE the weathering job you are doing on the interior. Can't wait to see the exterior (no pressure here!). If you ever, and I mean EVER, get tired of the model that will end up on your shelf........feel free to send it to me or Ray. I won't care if you build something that is Unit-specific later on. This is a sweet build. Me likey.

I will support EVERY modeler on their build, no matter if it is a bit off accurate, or if it is meant to be perfectly inline with history. Lord knows my builds aren't historical right now. Some will be, some won't.

Keep in mind, no one here is beating up on you. Just that everyone has different ideas. Its groovy baby, yeah!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I may have not done as much research and posting pics of Hueys, but I will say I love the Huey as much as Ray does!

Okay, maybe almost as much as Ray does...........*Brittmac slinks off into the darkness...............

Edited by BrittMac

Oliver, I'm not saying your model isn't great. I was just wondering why you chose to model a what-if and add parts that were not there or don't really fit right. With your skills, you could build an amazingly accurate model. Just my take on things. You can build it how you want, as long as you are happy with it, thats what matters.

Greetings and Salutations to all Globally.

A couple of thoughts.

First, any discards Oliver has are coming in my direction, I know this man on a personal level, as a member of one of the clubs I belong to as well as an attendee to the big show - Valley con - i put on here in Southern California. Plus I live not far and can be to his house faster than anyone can fly from the east coast or across the Pond !!! (lol)

Second - read the threads he actually owes me an OOB for my ATC-H ( just a gentle public reminder Oliver )

Third, guys got more talent at this stuff than anyone I've see (except for the guys at my last show who had a gogeous Hind - featured on this website when we did the Valley Con photos back in April of this year) Oliver is just plain damm good -takes his time and does it "right" ( his version of "right")

Fourth, guys a Hollywood pro, works on the TV Show Monk among others, and no offense to him or my friends in Hollywood, they do take liberty's with reality sometimes to make it look right for the camera.

Fifth, you've got to admit the work is stunning.

And finally, it is only a hobby, and each one of us brings our own vision of what we want to this hobby, which is what makes it fun - for me at least - and I've been doing this for over 30 years - and I'm still learning and not tired of it yet.

And one big final p.s. - if Oliver states that he is still just learning and beginning I wonder what awesome work he'll do when he "arrives" !

Just one rotorheads opinions...

George :sunrevolves:

Greetings and Salutations to all Globally.

A couple of thoughts.

First, any discards Oliver has are coming in my direction, I know this man on a personal level, as a member of one of the clubs I belong to as well as an attendee to the big show - Valley con - i put on here in Southern California. Plus I live not far and can be to his house faster than anyone can fly from the east coast or across the Pond !!! (lol)

Second - read the threads he actually owes me an OOB for my ATC-H ( just a gentle public reminder Oliver )

Third, guys got more talent at this stuff than anyone I've see (except for the guys at my last show who had a gogeous Hind - featured on this website when we did the Valley Con photos back in April of this year) Oliver is just plain damm good -takes his time and does it "right" ( his version of "right")

Fourth, guys a Hollywood pro, works on the TV Show Monk among others, and no offense to him or my friends in Hollywood, they do take liberty's with reality sometimes to make it look right for the camera.

Fifth, you've got to admit the work is stunning.

And finally, it is only a hobby, and each one of us brings our own vision of what we want to this hobby, which is what makes it fun - for me at least - and I've been doing this for over 30 years - and I'm still learning and not tired of it yet.

And one big final p.s. - if Oliver states that he is still just learning and beginning I wonder what awesome work he'll do when he "arrives" !

Just one rotorheads opinions...

George :woot.gif:

Hi George.

Ok, George you called me out on the OOB for your ATC-H. Thanks for having my back. See you on the 5th.

Oliver

Done. finished, completed.....Wow! that look longer than I expected.

I finished this morning the Huey cockpit.....very happy about that.

The hoist is bigger than expected but once I will close the 2 fuselages you wont be able to tell the little scale difference. Guys, thanks again for all the support.

I hope you like it.

Oliver

Here are some photos.

medevachuey652.jpg

medevachuey661.jpg

medevachuey653.jpg

medevachuey658.jpg

medevachuey656.jpg

medevachuey659.jpg

medevachuey669.jpg

medevachuey670.jpg