F-101B Voodoo Aftermarket Afterburners

I know this subject must have been visited in the past, a brief search on ARC hasn't provided much either. Does anybody out there working on aftermarket afterburner cans for this kit? I have found these to be the most laborsome part of building this kit (even more than the intake trunking) and it is holding me up from finishing the project. I get disgusted everytime I look at those cans just thinking how much time I have to put into them so they don't look like mechanical abortions, just not gonna do it. Heck, I would rather build a Testors B-2 kit than work these cans.

I know this subject must have been visited in the past, a brief search on ARC hasn't provided much either. Does anybody out there working on aftermarket afterburner cans for this kit? I have found these to be the most laborsome part of building this kit (even more than the intake trunking) and it is holding me up from finishing the project. I get disgusted everytime I look at those cans just thinking how much time I have to put into them so they don't look like mechanical abortions, just not gonna do it. Heck, I would rather build a Testors B-2 kit than work these cans.

I have not seen any or even know if there is some. The F-101s are pretty simplistic. What parts are you having problems with? The 2 halfs seam or the back part where it connects to them? I have a feeling you already have all three together so I might not be able to help you.

The only resin I've seen for the AB nozzles are the short ones for the single-seat conversions. You're right, the kit nozzles can be a PITA. Those and the way the main gear struts attach to the wings.

Ben

Definitely, new parts here would help both with assembly and better detail. About all you can do to the kit parts is sand, sand, sand, and then sand some more. Rescribe and polish. Tis a lot of work but about the only path to a more correct profile and to get rid of the seams.

I'm not entirely happy with the ones I'm currently working on. I made the lighter bands around the circumference too wide, but I'm done messing with them. This project needs to be done and kicked out of the workshop. I very unproudly state- this kit kicked my butt, and its been awhile since I admitted to that kind of outcome with a model.

DSC_0503.jpg

Rick "I'm done with Voodoos for awhile" L.

Wow Spruemeister, I'm glad someone else shares my take on these things. Your cans look pretty good (not meant to sound bad), if I could get mine to look half as good as that I would stand up proudly and claim them as my own.

If someone has really good accurate masters made up. Let me know. I can make molds and cast them. If not, I might take some time and make them myself. However, I have a lot of projects in line already.

Cheers,

Harold

Harold,

I just received my 1/32 F-8 bang seat, you do great work. I honestly believe more of these Voodoo's would get finished if there was an afterburner alternative available. The kit provides a lot of airplane for the money (which frees up more for aftermarket stuff) and it gets more oohs and ahs sitting in it's case unfinished than some of the other planes that are finished. I cannot provide good masters for the cans, but I would gladly contribute financially towards getting some, there are many talented modelers here on ARC.

This is how my F-101 will sit until I find a solution for the afterburners

DSC_0350.jpg

There are two sets in the works right now both long and short.

Cheers

Mike

Okaaaaaayy..

So somehow the 2 Mikes have managed to see every kit in my stash that needs help..and are making corrections.

Looking forward to these as well.

Okaaaaaayy..

So somehow the 2 Mikes have managed to see every kit in my stash that needs help..and are making corrections.

Looking forward to these as well.

I have been toying with a few F-101 things for a while now. Its my fave Century Series jet :unsure:

There are two sets in the works right now both long and short.

Cheers

Mike

Mike:

Most excellent! Any time frame for completion? Save 5 long sets for me. I'm planning on doing 5 RCAF Voodoos.

Mike

Mike:

Most excellent! Any time frame for completion? Save 5 long sets for me. I'm planning on doing 5 RCAF Voodoos.

Mike

Probably late this fall. We have a ton of other stuff on the go and I really want to make sure the can liners are done right.

I would definitely welcome some resin replacements. The detail isn't the biggest problem with the kit parts. Its the lack of crisp, straight molded joining surfaces. There's alot of fiddling with filing and sanding to get the parts to come together straight without gaps. You have to paint the interior before joining the two main halves with the turbine face/flame holder because you aren't going in there after assembly to clean up the internal joint or paint. The nozzle cover has to have the same treatment of its joint. You cut off the internal guide ring so you can sand a flat surface to mate with the duct pieces and get it to line up correctly. Then you sand for a half hour to get it tapered like the real thing, instead of the bullet like ogive curve as it is molded. The variable area nozzle petals inside do need some better detail treatment too, but the assembly and the shape are the biggest problems with the kit parts. Resin will fix that.

Rick L.

Did you already put all 3 pieces together?

all three have been joined together and the detail has been sanded off. Still have a lot of filling, sanding and shaping to do as well as rescribe. Fortunately, the entire project can be finished without the afterburners. Now that I know there may be a set available by the end of the year, work may procede.

I spent about a week on my F-101 exhausts. I thought the missle bay area was alot harder than the exhausts! This is the best pic of my outcome. I scribed them before I heard of Dymo tape so the bands didn't turn out as good as they could, but I was happy to get them done. She sat on the shelf for about 6 months finished except for the exhausts. That'a a good thing about this bird, you don't need the exhausts on to paint her up and stuff. Niw she is up on the wall in the shop collecting dust! Your paint work is really good by the way! I think they look excelent!

P1140109.jpg

Curt

Definitely, new parts here would help both with assembly and better detail. About all you can do to the kit parts is sand, sand, sand, and then sand some more. Rescribe and polish. Tis a lot of work but about the only path to a more correct profile and to get rid of the seams.

I'm not entirely happy with the ones I'm currently working on. I made the lighter bands around the circumference too wide, but I'm done messing with them. This project needs to be done and kicked out of the workshop. I very unproudly state- this kit kicked my butt, and its been awhile since I admitted to that kind of outcome with a model.

Rick: - Don't dispair. They look good.

Probably late this fall. We have a ton of other stuff on the go and I really want to make sure the can liners are done right.

Thanks for the reply Mike. I look forward to them.

IMHO this is one of those cases where a resin part would not be an improvement over the kit parts, the real ones do not have a lot of surface detail, it's all in the painting like in Spruemeister's example.

Ken

Ken: - True but they're still a PITA to complete. They take much longer to finish that is necessary. A good set of resin replacementswill be a welcome addition IMO.

Here are a couple of shots of the burner can of a CF-101 Voodoo at the Canada Aviation Museum. IN the second spot, note how the heat from the engine has discoloured the paint. It's on both sides of the fuselage in the same spot.

BurnerCan.jpg

BurnerCanandExhaustSmudge.jpg

Mike

Good stuff on the way no doubt, will be watching for these as well as the Tornado crew...Will these cans be for sale at Columbus, Mike?

Metroman,

The Trnado crew will be at the Nats but the 101 cans won't. Look for the cans late this fall. Between gearing up for the Nats and working on other projects, spare time to fiddle with the cans is at a premium.

Cheers!!

Mike