Looking for a Decent U-2

I'm sorry if this is a repost of a repost, but I've searched for two weeks on several websites, and searching for U-2 on google is useless unless you're interested in a band. I'm looking to do a U-2, and I'm not even that specific about variant. I know in 1/48 Testors is about the only thing going, but I keep seeing a lot of Airfix 1-72 kits. Has anybody had any experience with these? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

If you want to do one in 1/72 the Airfix kits (and their MPC clones) are pretty nice kits.

In 1/48, the TR-1/ER-2s from Testors are pretty good, but the U-2A/C kits are the same plastic as the old Hawk kits, but with better decals. Lots of detail bits from CE can be found on eBay on a regular basis.

I built the Airfix U-2C in 1984 and still have it. It's a pretty good kit for it's age. Special Hobby makes a TR-1A in 1/72. I have this kit but have not built it yet. It got mine from Roll Models. SH72024. They also have an ER-2. clicky

Hi-Planes makes a U-2R as I recall, but I can't find their page now. The link I had seems to be dead.

I've got one of the Italeri 1/48 boxes with the TR-1 version....I had heard horror stories about it but so far it's been a dream. I'm putting in the Cutting Edge sets and doing some scratching of my own but I really can't complain a bit about it.

Chris

The High Planes kit is okay, but it is not easy to build as it has a lot of thick flash on it. The Italeri ones IMHO are the way to go.

In 1/72, Minicraft/Academy (back when they were one company) did clone the Airfix U-2C/E a few years back and they build up nice. I think they might be due for reissue from Academy in fact.

As for the U-2Rs, they pop up on eBay from time to time. The basic kit has been offered in about five versions:

U-2R

TR-1A/ER-2C (TR-1s were new build airframes made in the 1980s, externally they look almost like U-2Rs and today they are just designated U-2Rs along with the rest of the fleet. The ER-2 was NASA's purpose built U-2R/TR-1 airframe)

TR-1B trainer (hard to find, but was issued in the 1980s)

U-2R Senior Span (most recent issue from 2 years ago with the big dorsal pod on it)

I did the old MPC(Airfix) a couple years ago, its great if you don't have a lot of shelf space.Not too much sanding and filling. I added a scratch built sugar scoop to the exhaust. It has 3 options, really a nice kit in 1/72 scale and I think its available from time to time.---John

P1310031-1.jpg

P1310020-1.jpg

Edited by john53

P.S. I also built the Testors, old Hawk in 1/48, fun build but wings were warped bad and little or no detail in wheel wells and cockpit. Also it takes up quite a bit space---John

Edited by john53

If you want an early U-2 then the Hawk kit is tyhe only way unless you get the testors Kit and use the expensive cutting edge backdate set (if you can find it)

Cutting edge did lots of nice resin stuff & decals, all of which are getting harder to find and more expensive!

Julien

I've built the Airfix U-2 three times, and enjoyed each one.

Airfix_U2_SAC.jpg

U-2A SAC

Airfix_U2_Nasa.jpg

U-2C Nasa

Airfix_U2_Test.jpg

U-2D USAF

I've never got my mits on the Academy kit, so can't comment on that.

And I've built the Special hobby TR-1A. Not as easy as Airfix, but then more rewarding.

SH_TR1A_1.jpg

Intending to fit the superpods on this one soon.

I've built both the Italeri and Testors kits in 1:48. Given that I'm not a detail fanatic the Testors, for me, builds up to an acceptable model with a few minor enhancements: I think I replaced the pogo wheels, had to add the "sugar scoop", and do one or two other minor additions - it's a long time since I built it.

The Italeri U-2R/TR-1 I built as the two-seater. Make sure you remove the "fences" on the tailplane if applicable - iirc the U-2R had then, the TR-1 didn't, or was it vice-versa? Anyway, building the kit as a twin-stick had two major problems: you need to omit the pods on the wings, which results in a lot of workas the kit is not designed to leave them off; and the rear floor is much too low, the top of the seat barely comes up to the cockpit sill if you built it per the instructions. Also some fit issues elsewhere.

Doing them both in the same scale makes you realise just how much larger the U-2R/TR-1 was. Also impressive in real life - I used to live and work near Alconbury in the 80s and regularly saw them overhead in the circuit.

Edit for typos

Edited by MikeC
I've built both the Italeri and Testors kits in 1:48.

They're the same plastic.

IIRC the 1/72 clone of the Airfix kit wasn't done by Academy, it was done by another Korean firm (whose name escapes me at the moment). It was actually much nicer than the original Airfix kit in that it has very petitely done scribed panel lines (Airfix's are raised). I've used the canopy from a junked Hasegawa F-104 on it, and it's a big improvement over the thick-ish canopy in it and the Airfix kits.

J

They're the same plastic.

J

Sorry Jennings, but oh no they're not! One (Testors) is a U-2C, the other (Italeri) is a U-2R/TR-1. Two very different aeroplanes.