Part.2

(“The verdict…â€Â)

Time to move on to “Part.2†& as promised I will give my final verdict regarding China. To keep it short I can tell You guy’s that China is probably worth between 8.5 and 9+ on a scale from 1 to 10. OK, so that’s the short version of things but what is probably more interesting is to hear the motive behind the grade. Well, that might take some more time to sum up so for those interested: grab Yourself a refill of whatever it is Your drinking and: Sit back, relax & enjoy…

To start off with: it’s a well known fact that China is a communistic country. It therefore is obvious that thing are done a bit differently over there. What struck me though is the fact that it doesn’t resemble any of the images which we hold of it here in the so-called “Free Westâ€Â… If You go by the “regular†questions like “Do people enjoy the same freedom like us in the West ?†and many questions alike, then You will receive the general answers which apparently seem to justify our general idea. However, once Your in China itself, once Your able to experience their “way of life†first hand so to speak, then You start realizing that things indeed aren’t the same in China. Yes, they are different but by no means they are necessarily bad…!!!

Now I realize that this is not the place to talk politics but unfortunately it’s impossible to avoid it in order to try and produce a reliable picture of China. Therefore I want to make it clear that none of the following is written to be a political statement. Nor is it written to chose any side’s, either “the west†or any culture other than “the westâ€Â. It’s only meant in an attempt to give an impression of what one might find when setting off to China…

Culture:

What can I say… Your either interested in it or Your not. If not, than You certainly shouldn’t go to China. It’s history goes back at least 6000+ years so it’s obvious that they have an extremely rich culture. Good part about it is that much of it has been preserved & can still be seen today in nearly the same condition as it was back then. Furthermore, much of the “new stuff†is still based upon the “old way’s†which add’s to that mystical influence China can have on one. The country is too large to see it all within one trip so should You go over there to enjoy it’s history & culture it might be wise to put some time in planning Your trip carefully. Visiting Beijing will always be a good starting point for it will show You some of it’s “recent past†giving You some idea how it must have been in the “tight†communist day’s. Furthermore You find the national Museum right next to Tiananmen Square which in it’s turn is next to the “Forbidden Cityâ€Â. Furthermore “the Temple of Heaven†is also just a dash away…

History:

As far as history is concerned, Beijing might once more be a good starting point due to the various sites which are accessible as well as the National Museum. Within an hours drive You’ll be near the Great Chinese Wall and although this part is completely rebuild, it will give You an extremely good impression as to how things must have been… However, there’s much more to China then just Beijing. I already mentioned the Gobi dessert during my flight to & from China and if one is more of a “nature-freak†then this location might be worth visiting. In a totally different way a place like this will also be able to tell You it’s own story regarding the country’s history…

Food:

Well, I guess I already covered that one within my update’s. Just to make sure we’re all on the same page: when it comes to food China sure has it all. It’s able to offer You some delicate restaurants similar to the ones You’ll find in the West. It also enables You to experience the food offered on the streets. It does take some gut’s to try that stuff but I already mentioned some guidelines which might come in handy for those who dare to try…

Weather:

Just like most of us are accustomed to, China holds all the seasons as we basically know them. Once again things are slightly different though. I hit the country by the end of the rain-season, resulting in “hazy†skies most of the time. Furthermore the smog-level in Beijing & Shanghai most probably also played their part… If weather is an issue it might be wise to search the net for the best time of year to visit China. I already mentioned that, before/when planning this trip, I hadn’t plan on going so far abroad. Therefore I just made a decision and went ahead with it…

Politics:

I already mentioned that it would be impossible to mention some word’s regarding politics. I also mentioned that I think it’s inappropriate to go into the matter too deep on this site. First of all this is a modeling-site and not a “political forumâ€Â. Second of all this site is all about modeling and already offers us to put up “off-topic stuff†which I think is pretty awesome as it is. I also think that we have to do whatever we can to keep things the way they are on this magnificent site and always “think before we hit the post-button†!!! Of course we don’t always succeed in doing so but at least we have to try, right ?! Anyway, when it come’s to politics it’s obvious that things are different in China since they’ve adopted a system which isn’t equal to the one we are accustomed to in the West. Never-the-less, once You’re in China You cannot help but to question the system which we have come to know soo well. (Referring to our own Capitalist system…!!!) To give You an example: dis You know that there is a dedicated office in Beijing at which the Chinese “common man†can hand over it’s critiques regarding the system and the party..??? I for sure didn’t & it surely took me by surprise to learn. Of course we can ponder upon the fact if anything is done with those complaints, but I think that’s besides the point. The heart of the matter is that they go about things differently, but not necessarily in a bad manner.

All wrapped up together:

To sum it all up, this trip has been a blast from the very start till the very end. Of course: what goes for one doesn’t necessarily work for another but as far as I’m concerned I’m pretty satisfied with the way things unfolded. Of course I had a “bad†moment every now & then but in the end it was all worth it. To me taking a holiday-break is meant to charge the eternal battery and I sure have been able to do so. Besides all of that I even got much more than I bargained for. Some of them You can only dream about & some of them You would never ask for it to happen in life. Never-the-less, I cherish them all. They not even have made my trip complete, but have also made me more complete. I have returned a well-rested wiser man & I’m sure that China will have that affect for anyone who’s willing to accept it…

(End of Part.2)

“Check Six…..â€Â

Spooky.

Part.3

(“Contemplating…â€Â)

Well, You guy’s probably thought this part would never show up… For those that haven’t lost interest and which are also taking the time to read this final part: I feel honored !!!

As the “subtitle†might suggest, I would like to take some time to contemplate on thing’s in life which all of us experience from day to day in regular life. Besides the fact that I feel a strange urge to put in this final part I also feel like it’s the right thing to do.

First of all…:

• Aigore

• ALF18

• Angels49

• Av8fan

• ChernayaAkula

• DErickson

• GreyGhost

• Haneto

• Holmes

• JMan

• Loftycomfort

• model madness

• Richter 111

• Singeri

• SMX M

• Speedlimit

• thetoe17

• Tomcat Trebor

• And everybody else who took a peak, enjoyed (or didn’t) but didn’t leave a comment.

I would like to thank all of You for Your support. You’ve all made this trip extremely enjoyable and contributed in the very essence of this site !!! All of You showed interest and took the time to let me know we’re all one big family that’s always around to turn to and never fail to support. That being said I also would like to come to the very essence of this part of the update. Part of me feels extremely sad to tell You guy’s that I will be “off-line†for some time…

Now before I go on I would like to make one thing very clear !!! I’ve seen some post’s from time to time coming from people who made a similar statement. They also often included a reason which often read something like “I’m fed up with so & so and I just want You all to know that I quit !!!†OK, just for the record: that’s not my reason, nor is it my intention to “draw attentionâ€Â… The reason why I’m telling You has already been said: I regard some of You as very dear friends which I don’t want to leave worrying. Some of You might remember a recent post from Angels49, explaining his current condition ?! Such a guy deserves our support from time to time & I really want to play a part in doing so. Due to circumstances I won’t be able to do so and I just want to make it clear that there is a very good reason for going off-line for some time…

Currently there is a lot going on in my personal life. I’m not going to bother You with any details, but like others I’m also not going to leave You in the dark so to speak. Last year I had a very bad tour in A’stan which really got to me. Sending home colleague’s (from various nationalities) in a box does tend to get to some-one… After I came back a lot has happened & I indicated that it would be wise to transfer me to a different unit within my beloved Air Force. Right until I was about to set off for China, things suddenly started to move. Out of the blue I was offered a different position with the AF & basically I had to decide within a week notice. For those who know me a bit better, it might be clear that that’s not my way of dealing with tough decisions… I always take my time thinking things through before I commit myself to anything. Now that I’ve returned from this refreshing trip it’s time to “face the music†so to speak. Part of me doesn’t really look forward to all of that but at the same time another part of me regards them as new challenges which surely will be fun to deal with. Basically I ended up at a crossroad & I’m not quite sure which way to turn. There are no sign’s to guide me & to make matters worse, every option hold’s some good but surely also some bad, all making the “decision-process†more difficult. Should I simply give up or should I put up a fight. I already know some of You will be thinking: “Common man, don’t give in. Go in gun’s blazing !!!†Rest assure though, I will !!! I’m sure things will turn ugly but as they say: “All is permitted in Love & Warâ€Â. Guess life is a constant mix of “Love & War†each and every day.

Besides work I also have to make some other tough decisions which all of us face from time to time. In contrast to the issue at work these thing’s demand some tact & delicacy since they are concerning people made up out of flesh & blood !!! Dealing with a situation is one thing but when it comes to dealing with thought’s, feeling’s & emotions one has to be very cautious since they are part of the basic essence of our existence…!!!

All of this has a “happy†side though: Right now I’ve been given an opportunity to contemplate on certain things and reflect upon my actions, hopefully enabling me to make the right decisions & maybe even find some answers to questions that have “haunted†me for a long time without me even knowing it. Therefore I’d like to look on the bright side of things, rather than leaving You in a sad mood. Hey, life is to good to pass up on and every influence gives one an opportunity to gather experiences unknown before, wisdom beyond knowledge but most of all make us a better person if we sometimes take a moment to stop & think… I can only hope that these word’s might be somewhat inspiring & that it even might help some of You to make the right decision should You be called upon. In the meantime I once again would like to thank all of You once again & I promise You:

• I won’t lock off immediately & will still take the time to answer any reactions on this thread.

• I won’t give up modeling either ‘cause it brings me way to much joy

• I will show up again through time to say “Hi†to all of You.

Before signing off I would like to share one last picture with all of You. I bought this picture in Beijing ‘cause it appealed to me in a particular way. Back then I didn’t even know how appropriate it all would turn out to be… Tomorrow I’ll set off to arrange a proper frame for it. She will become the center piece in my living room, being the last thing I see before I set off to work, being the first thing I see when I come back home again, being the last thing I see before I go to bed and once again being the first thing I see again when I come downstairs in the morning. She’ll always remind me of my trip to China and all the adventures I’ve been granted. She’ll always make me cry. Some will be tears of joy & some of them will be tears of pain but all of them will have been worth the effort. She’ll be the lady of my life till the end of times and once “we†have become old & grey she will have inspired me each & every single second of every breath that I take. I hope that she, and the story behind her may inspire all of You as she does me and even may be used as a desktop by some. Trust me: she’s worth it !!!

Be cheerful and embrace life for it’s too precious to let it slip by…

Yours truly,

Spooky.

134.jpg

"Mari nanie mithi Indian Rani"

Spooky,

Wow! What a great trip! And amazing photography as well!

I'm going to lift your travel guide idea and prepare my own for my upcoming trip to Tokyo. Truly an inspired way to keep track of all the bits and pieces of information needed during your travels.

Glad you're home safe, and hope all works out well for you in the future!

I´m happy you decided to share your awesome trip to china with us, and face it...your pretty nifty with camera :o

(I´ll go through your pics and select a few and comment as well.....you´re far better with Photoshop than I am)

And as Gregg said, you´re starting another journey.... I´m wishing you all the luck with this and I do understand. (never the less drop me a line or two on e-mail when you feel like) Life never runs on a straight line but is full of sudden turns, traffic lights and roundabouts, it´s like driving through europe without a map or a GPS navigator :P

Anyways, such is life and all we can do is accept it...take tha bad with the good and move on. Like a car life is useless spending standing still :)

Cheers mate! :woo:

WOW, Spooky what a great day by day picture by picture showing of that beautful and mystical country! Hopefully one day all of us will be able to make the trip, but if not at least we will have a few pictures to show us what the Chinese culture has to offer the world! Thanks so much!

Spooky.

Thank you for your wonderful words and thoughts.

Your trip has been exceptional by the way you write and I am glad and pleased that you have gotten home safe and well.

It has been such a pleasure to "keep you company" in a matter of speaking by reading your adventures, trials and tribulations.

Finally the "Mari nanie mithi Indian Rani" { :wub: } has an aura of grace and beauty and I am sure she will bring many treasured memories

to life and remind you of your Stay Both in Shanghai and Beijing....

HOLMES ;)

Hi there once again HOLMES,

and once again thank You very much for Your kind comment. I realy enjoyed the company of all of You as well during my trip & I sure hope that I can count on it again once I set of for yet another adventure. As You have been able to read that make take some time though since I've got some "stuff" to sort out. Rest assure though, allthough I won't be on ARC as often as I use to be I'll allways think about all of You since You're all locked into my heart.

As for "Mari nanie mithi Indian Rani", I hope that she may inspire all of You as she will inspire me for many, many years to come. I've got the feeling that I've come to know You a bit better reading Your comments & I'm very sure that You would be "moved" even more if You only knew the entire story behind her. Oh well, as much as this site is all about the details, some things are simply not meant to be shared... (Sorry guy's.)

Gotta go now. As mentioned I've got a lot on my mind right now. Just want to do the right thing and keep track of the reactions which will/might be posted in the near future & respond to them before I "log-off" to take care of business 'cause You guy's deserve it !!!

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

Hey Spooky,

It seems one journey ends and another is about to start for you ...

I wish you well in your impending decision ...

Choose wisely and I'm sure you'll be rewarded ...

Thank you for including me in your group of followers, it's been an honor to follow your travels and Thank You for sharing your marvelous trip to Exotic China ...

I wish you well and may the road always rise to meet your feet ... ;)

-Gregg

Hey Dude,

the honor is all mine my friend !!! It's me that has been blessed, having a bunch of "unknow" friends that have taken the time to keep track of my where-abouts...

Rest assure though, I've been arround this funny blue marbel for quite some years now. She's brought me a lot of interresting adventures, given me millions of beautifull memories, shown me a lot of "ugly" places and even has smacked me on the head quite a few times... (And I'm telling You, that realy hurt's...!!!!!)

Never-the-less, if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't want to have it any other way (well okay, except for a few things...) !!! Out of all my journey's, the journey through life most certainly is the most beautifull one. It'll show You all You want to see & even much, much more. All we have to do is open our eyes & allow them to see it all.

I'm sure things will work out in the end & I'm looking forward to the day I will log-on again and say "Hi" to all of You again. I'm even looking more forward to telling all of You things have worked out fine & that all is in good order once again. Let's grab a drink & toast to that, shall we...???!!! :wub:

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

Spooky,

Wow! What a great trip! And amazing photography as well!

I'm going to lift your travel guide idea and prepare my own for my upcoming trip to Tokyo. Truly an inspired way to keep track of all the bits and pieces of information needed during your travels.

Glad you're home safe, and hope all works out well for you in the future!

WHOOPS !!!!!

Sorry GVoakes...!!! For some reason I inadvertedly missed commenting on Your post. Truly sorry for that !!!

Firts, thank You for Your comment & nice of You to chip in as well. Welcome aboard my friend !!!

For some reason I thought I'd allready answered but apperently I only did so inside my head...

Anyway, nice reading Your going to Japan & that You will be preparing a travel-guide simular as the one I showed in my trip-report. As a matter of fact... You've just reminded me of something !!! I've been to Japan back in 2006 & after I returned I've sworn I would one day return to that beautifull country. Once You've been there it really get's under Your skin so to speak... I had actually somewhat forgotten about my "promise" which I made back then & in between I've mentioned "India" as my possible next destination.

I think I should reconsider that and go to Japan instead !!! While I was over there I was only able to see some parts of the Tokyo-district. I've promised myself that when I would return I would travel the entire country North to South as I did when I visited South Korea & Taiwan.

Anyway, I don't know what the purpose of Your visit to Japan is/will be. However, You do have to enclose a visit to Shima Onson and make sure You book a Ryokan while staying there. The country side is beautifull when I visited it in late autumn. Beautifull clear blue skies, hill's as far as the eye could see, and probably the best of all; beautifull coloured leaves on the trees, turning the hilly country-side into the most beautifull mozaic You've ever seen...

A Ryokan is a traditional Japanese hotel, and the one I stayed in was equiped with some hot-springs. If I remember correctly, two of them were indoors. Three of them, however, where located outside. I'm telling You: nothing beats lying in a hot-tub outside with chilly temps outside, the nightly heavens filled with stars above You and a light drizzle raining down upon Your face as You relax and suck it all in...!!!

Should You need some help creating Your travel-guide, just shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can get You about. I even think I have my old travel-guide from back then which might be of some assistance. It's not as fancy as the one I created for my last trip since You "sharpen Your skill's" along the way, so to speak. Never-the-less, it might be of some assistance...

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

I´m happy you decided to share your awesome trip to china with us, and face it...your pretty nifty with camera :wub:

(I´ll go through your pics and select a few and comment as well.....you´re far better with Photoshop than I am)

And as Gregg said, you´re starting another journey.... I´m wishing you all the luck with this and I do understand. (never the less drop me a line or two on e-mail when you feel like) Life never runs on a straight line but is full of sudden turns, traffic lights and roundabouts, it´s like driving through europe without a map or a GPS navigator :P

Anyways, such is life and all we can do is accept it...take tha bad with the good and move on. Like a car life is useless spending standing still :bandhead2:

Cheers mate! ;)

Ahhh, one of my first and maybe even best friends of ARC...

Thanx for Your wise word's my friend. Couldn't have put it any better & I'll take them to heart (as You know I often/mostly do). Furthermore, Your comment lifts my spirits as it indicates that I've been able to get my point accross exactly the way I intended. Logging off will probably be one of the hardest thing to do & I'm not looking forward to it, yet it's something I feel I have to do right now. However, I don't mean to upset anyone or make them worry about me. I'll return some day. Maybe I'll have changed a bit but in general it will still be the same 'ol me: Cheerfull, funny and fully "plastic-minded" as I think most of You have come to know me.

As for the pic's: that's a deal my friend. We'll work that one out off-line so You can also rest assure I will most certainly drop You a couple of lines. :D

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

Edited by Spooky 01

Hi Spooky,

Thanks again for an insight into your trip, in mind and body, for the photo essay I would give you an A+.

The future, who knows what it holds for everyone but we make decision every day that affect the next. Which ever decision you make it will be the right one for you and that is all that matters.

Thanks once again.

Peace

Robert

WOW, Spooky what a great day by day picture by picture showing of that beautful and mystical country! Hopefully one day all of us will be able to make the trip, but if not at least we will have a few pictures to show us what the Chinese culture has to offer the world! Thanks so much!

Hi there JMan,

thank You for Your nice comment. I'm glad I have been able to be of some service.

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

Wish you the best of luck my dear friend. You and a select others have been my inspiration to continue modelling even through some pretty F***** up times. Please come back to us soon, as you will surely be missed! Godspeed!

Edited by JMan
Anyway, I don't know what the purpose of Your visit to Japan is/will be. However, You do have to enclose a visit to Shima Onson and make sure You book a Ryokan while staying there. The country side is beautifull when I visited it in late autumn. Beautifull clear blue skies, hill's as far as the eye could see, and probably the best of all; beautifull coloured leaves on the trees, turning the hilly country-side into the most beautifull mozaic You've ever seen...

This time I'm just a tourist. It'll be my second trip (my wife's first) and we're concentrating mainly on Tokyo this time around. However, we are booked in for 2 nights at a Ryokan/Onsen in Hakone. Hot spring fed bath in every room, as well as 4 communal baths.

Our plan is to go for 6 weeks at some point in the future and do the country from north to south. However, as air fares were so ridiculously low, we felt that this was an opportunity too good to pass up.

A good friend at work took a month and travelled through India - based on the pictures he brought back and the discussions we had, don't reconsider your next destination too quick! (Of course, this individual also spent a month in Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam - ah, to be young and single!)

Edited by GVoakes
Hi Spooky,

Thanks again for an insight into your trip, in mind and body, for the photo essay I would give you an A+.

The future, who knows what it holds for everyone but we make decision every day that affect the next. Which ever decision you make it will be the right one for you and that is all that matters.

Thanks once again.

Peace

Robert

Hi Tomcat Trebor,

thanx again for pitching in & once again thanx for Your nice comment.

As for the mark which You've given me: WOW, what can I say...??? I can hardly believe I'm worthy of that... Maybe I should tell some people real close to me to have a good look at all the nice comments You guy's are posting over here regarding littlo 'ol me...

As for my future... Only the god's know what's written in my book of life my friend. Part of me feels sad that I'm not able to take a peak from time to time. Another part of me knows that it would not be right to do so, though. We have to play with the hand we're dealt with in life. Sometimes You win, sometimes You loose... It's all in the game and if You're not able to face that reality You shouldn't sit at the table and play...

Once again thank You for Your wise word's my friend. I'll make sure I take them at heart.

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

Wish you the best of luck my dear friend. You and a select others have been my inspiration to continue modelling even through some pretty F***** up times. Please come back to us soon, as you will surely be missed! Godspeed!

Thank You once again my friend. Rest assure I will return. In the meantime You'll have to rely on those others though from time to time.

Never-the-less, You know how to contact me whenever You're in need...

Godspeed to You as well my friend. I shall return.

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

This time I'm just a tourist. It'll be my second trip (my wife's first) and we're concentrating mainly on Tokyo this time around. However, we are booked in for 2 nights at a Ryokan/Onsen in Hakone. Hot spring fed bath in every room, as well as 4 communal baths.

Our plan is to go for 6 weeks at some point in the future and do the country from north to south. However, as air fares were so ridiculously low, we felt that this was an opportunity too good to pass up.

A good friend at work took a month and travelled through India - based on the pictures he brought back and the discussions we had, don't reconsider your next destination too quick! (Of course, this individual also spent a month in Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam - ah, to be young and single!)

Sounds good my friend. Seems You allready made the right choices. I'm sure You & Your wife will have a great time.

One small tip. (probably not neccessary since You've alreay been to Japan Yourself before...) Before You set off, make sure to learn something regarding their culture. I found out that the little things I knew & put into practise worked miracles !!! Things that I'm reffering to are:

* make sure to have business cards on You

* hand things over, holding them with two hand's

* accept things using two hand's

* make sure You understand their "bow-ritual"

* etc., etc..

As for India...

Well I thought I was pretty sure about that & it sure is a country which is high on my list. For the time being it has however been removed from the top of my list for the time being... Who know's, maybe that might change through time. If so I'll make sure I'll bother all of You once more with a simular trip-report...

As for being young & single: Yeah that sure has it's charmes. Right now however I think I need some time to fix that situation... Oh well, yet another challenge to add to my current never ending "problem-list"... :monkeydance:

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

• 11 months later...

Hi guys, yes, I know, this is OLD stuff, but I HAVE to answer back since I've been living and working in Shanghai all these years (will be going back to the U.S. sometime next year, finally. As much as I love China, I want to go back now). It doesn't help that I'm a Chinese-American who've been living in the States since age nine! ;)

LOL, reading Spooky's report, it's a case of many de javus....Beijing sites and sounds, been there, done that. Ohh yes, the Chinese Air Force Museum, worth a trip, if you don't mind locking your "seriousness" away and let your "*** imagination runs wild". It's like reading all the Chin-glish all over the city (Shanghai included).

Also, remember what you said that "Shanghai is a construction zone"? Well, back in 2009, it WAS. The whole entire city was being in the process of torn up, rebuild, torn up and rebuilt again in preparation for the World Fair. HELL, the sidewalk near my apartment was torn up no less than 6 times in order to get everything in place! Those shoddy and "soft" bamboo construction lattice works? Yep, they were so all over the place back then, it rarely raise an eyebrow from me!

ohh, not meant to be an insult, the guy who said the Great Wall was built by slave labor, he is correct, in some point, Qing Shi Huang, or the first emperor of China was a great man, he standardized all the languages, measurements, and weights in China, unitied all the education system and set up the laws. But as any historians, even Chinese one would say, he was also one major cruel tyranicall @$$hole to boot too! He forced many labor intensive projects, such as Ah Fang Palace, a palacial palace set up for his pleasure and his concubines. It cost many lives and of course, built by slave and forced labor like the Great Wall. Of course, to top it off, there is his burial grounds, the size of a small city with its famous terra cotta warriors....

The food....Ohh yeah, THANK god my mom is helllava of a cook, Most of the so called "Chinese foods" here in the States can be characterized as "Ameri-nese" food. They are far sweeter and doesn't have the offical geniune taste of the real stuff. That's because they have been so adapated to Western tastes, it lost all of their original flavor. I'm sure I'm gonna miss some of my favorite dishes, such as Fu Qi Fei Pian, Water Boiled Fish, Fish with Preserved Sour Vegetables when I move back. Also, if you ever go to China, try some hot pot. It's a GREAT experience! However, go with a few people, 4 at least. Going to Hot Pot alone is BORING!

Fighting over train tickets in Shanghai...hmmm...Where did that happened before, why is that SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOO familar...Ohh yeah, been there, done that!!! AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA! :P

Anyway, I'm not gonna comment too much before I get too carried away. But a hint of pointer, next time you or anyone else goes to China, make sure you add in the Ancient City of Xi An and Cheng Du to your plans. Xi An is the ANCIENT Capital of China. Beijing is slightly more modern (most important dynasty capital, Yuan (Mongols), Ming and Ching). But Xi An in some cases is FAR more Important since the first official Empire made its capital here, the Qin dynasty and its first emperor's tomb, Qin Shi Huang's tomb, is located just outside the city. Also, probably the most important, and glorious dynasty, the Tang dynasty, made its capital here also. Unlike Beijing, which had its old city wall razed to the ground, Xi An's wall is still present and is worth it just to go see it and see what it was like during the Tang Dynasty. As mentioned, Qin's tomb is just outside the city proper, why visit there, hope you guys heard of something called the Terra Cotta Warriors.....HELL, if you want to experience the entire first emperor's burial COMPLEX....its gonna take much longer and its far larger than that! The Terra Cotta Warriors is just 1/6th of the burial site! Also, Hua Qing Chi is the place to visit if you want to learn one of the most Romatic, also the most Tragic love story out of the Tang Dynasty. The place is also the site of the revolt in which several KMT (Chinese Kumintang party) general kidnapped Chiang-Kai Shek, forcing his hand and foring his cooperation with the communists back in 1939. A lot of even more ancient history in that place.

And also, place Guilin on the plan if you are interested in nature. Don't know the place, watch Star Wars Episode III. The battle of Kashyyk....When the wookies scream, notice the background, those mountains, yep, they from Guilin! Great natural settings to visit. Guilin's naturally formed Lime Karst hills doesn't exist elsewhere in the world and have inspired countless Chinese poets and writers for generations.

Ohh another tip, when in China, NEVER EVER discuss any issues concerning Japan or Japanese WITH anyone, that is, not unless you want an evil eye at best or at worst, a punch to the face! Safe to say, despite all the Japanese culture on the streets like Astro Boy and Anime, Chinese HATES Japanese, and for good reason!

PS: Ohh spooky, did you get a chance to vist the Summer Palace in Beijing, if not, make that your top priority next time if you are in Beijing! Both the old and new Summer Palace are worth a vist! Old to understand the Chinese political and psychological psyche, and the new just to soak in the breathtaking view and the man made beauty!

Chinese HATES Japanese, and for good reason!

In that case I don´t agree with the Chinese.

PS: Ohh spooky, did you get a chance to vist the Summer Palace in Beijing, if not, make that your top priority next time if you are in Beijing! Both the old and new Summer Palace are worth a vist! Old to understand the Chinese political and psychological psyche, and the new just to soak in the breathtaking view and the man made beauty!

You´re asking/telling Spooky? If you take a close look at the post above yours, you´ll see Spooky being a Banned Member. I don´t know the reason, but think he won´t respond to your post unfortunately........

Very interesting to see some comments against Chinese/Japanese from some Westerners indeed.

Well,just like our beloved ex-ministor Mr.Zhou Enlai said,something is forgivable,but unforgetable.

Yufei

Very interesting to see some comments against Chinese/Japanese from some Westerners indeed.

Well,just like our beloved ex-ministor Mr.Zhou Enlai said,something is forgivable,but unforgetable.

Yufei

Yufei, I think you misunderstood the comment this westerner made: if the Chinese hate the Japanese, than I don't agree with the Chinese. If the Japanese hate the Chinese, than I don't agree with the Japanese. I have no problems with either two, just didn't understand what StryderK's comment (about the hate thing) added to the discussion......

Yufei, I think you misunderstood the comment this westerner made: if the Chinese hate the Japanese, than I don't agree with the Chinese. If the Japanese hate the Chinese, than I don't agree with the Japanese. I have no problems with either two, just didn't understand what StryderK's comment (about the hate thing) added to the discussion......

First of all, although I lived in the States most of my life and is a U.S. citizen, I was born in China and came to the states when I was nine. So, I still have a lot Asian influences in me.

Second, understand a little of the Chinese and Japanese history, especially WW II, and stuff like **** of Nanking (Chinese: The Nanjing Massacre), in which over 200,000 Chinese civilians were raped, killed, or buried alive over a three week period. Start with the two Japanese officers, who had a macabre contest in which they went out, and see who can cut off 100 people heads first, at that time, it was all the rage on Japanese newspapters....and it wasn't the outrage type (rather, the celebration type).

Then there Unit 731, which used live Chinese (and Allied POW) as human test subjects in germ warfare. And also, learn about the "Three All" campaigns that the Japanese used against the Chinese civilians in WW II.

And that's just recent. If you go back to the Mogol days, the littany of abuses and warefare between Chinese and Japanese goes back several thousand years, made worse starting from the 1900's. Even today, after living here for the past 5 years now, there is a deep rooted, simmering sentements against the Japanese and their atrocities commited by the Japanese during WW II. Stuff like the "Confort Women" and the fact that some Japanese prime ministers (the most recent two years ago) keep on saying that The Japanese treated Comfort Women "kindly" and they are all "Volunteers" really throw monkey wrenches in things. And the fact most Chinese still view that the Japanese never truly, whole heartly, with remorse, apologized for their crimes also raises hatred here. One of the Chinese fellow who work with me says if any Japanese talks to him and ask him for direction, he would flip him the bird and scream some well..."ephitiphs" at him! A lot of Chinese places has sign up front that says "No Japanese devils or dogs allowed!" (with the Japanese flag on the ground that says "Trample ME, I DESERVE IT!" ) . Back in 2004, when Japan tried to become a permenent member of U.N, the outrage here in Shanghai and in several more Asain countries, especially in Korea and the Philpphines (Countries conquered by Japaanese in WW II), was, well, outragous, to the Japanese. They could not understand why angry mobs of angry young Chinese attacked every Japanese they saw, burned down and looted Japanese businesses and establishments, and even almost attacked Japanese consulates and embassy! Sorry to say, us Asans has long memories, and these memories die hard. Not saying any of these are right or wrong. But it just the way it goes here. If you value your life and personal belongings here, if you hit China, Korea or any other of the Asian nations conquered by the Japanese in WW II, it's best not to say anything Japanese related. Chinese MAY like and some even LOVE Japanese culture such as anime (The co-worker opposite of me has a table full of Japanese anime dolls and Astro Boy toys), but that's as far as it goes. Us Chinese will NEVER EVER forget what the Japanese done to us during WW II, just like the jews will never forget what the Germans did to them in that conflict either.

Then there Unit 731, which used live Chinese (and Allied POW) as human test subjects in germ warfare. And also, learn about the "Three All" campaigns that the Japanese used against the Chinese civilians in WW II.

They also did live dissections of women and children, w/o anesthesia. What the nazi's had in numbers, that unit and another like them, more than made up for in brutality. MacArthur only let 7 of that unit be prosecuted for war crimes, even though he knew of their other atrocities in order to keep the Russians from getting their hands on the intel. I know, different times and all that, but after reading about that, I lost ALL respect for him.He could've just had them executed, instead most lived comfortably into old age and, unapologetic about it too. I lost enough respect that, if he were alive, I wouldn't **** on him if he lay on the side of the road on fire and my bladder was about to explode.

Sorry for the continuance of this threads derailment.