Well I chickened out of my first choice of schemes (I was going to try Kemp's), but I guess if I'm building my first tri-plane it's gotta be red.

This is where I'm at. I do have a question :

Did the Red Baron ever fly a Dr.I with a white engine cowl?

I searched forever and never figured it out. (I originally had this one painted white and I thought it looked excellent)

Thanks

-Brian

rb2.jpg

rb1.jpg

Edited by jordan03
Well I chickened out of my first choice of schemes (I was going to try Kemp's), but I guess if I'm building my first tri-plane it's gotta be red.

This is where I'm at. I do have a question :

Did the Red Baron ever fly a Dr.I with a white engine cowl?

I searched forever and never figured it out. (I originally had this one painted white and I thought it looked excellent)

Thanks

-Brian

rb2.jpg

rb1.jpg

No, the Red Baron never flew a triplane with a white or silver cowling--what you have seen in the past is artists (bad) renditions and replica aircraft with incorrect markings

He flew more than one tripe and only two were reportedly all red.

ps ensure both ailerons on your aircraft do not droop down--one up-one down

Have a look at; theaerodrome.com for more info

Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a

[quote name='Snowbird3a' date='Jul 21 2009, 08:17 AM'

ps ensure both ailerons on your aircraft do not droop down--one up-one down

Have a look at; theaerodrome.com. for more info

Tony

OH NO!

Thanks Tony I will see if can fix that without destroying everything else!

Brian

Jordan,

Your Fokker Tripe is looking very good so far.If you're still want to do Kempt's tripe,check out the decal reviews for the Streaked Fokker fabric on the Aerodrome and AeroScale web sites.These new decal would be great for your next Fokker.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Looks good, I am working on a Tripe myself in 1/32. I am trying to master the Fokker striped camo, which is worse than I thought it would be.

One question. Are the undersides of your wings light blue or tan/CDL?

Edited by JasonB

Er . . . . sorry to break it to you but 425/17 MvR's all red Dr1 was, er, all red (except for the rudder and the tyres ok, ok, and engine and machineguns and cockpit surround cushion and . . . .). What I mean is the undersides and interwing struts and undercarriage struts were red as well. Not absolutely sure but I think the same was true for his other 'all red' a/c. It is a lovely looking build though and I might be wrong so please do not just take my word for it.

Jason B, what I do for Fokker streaky olive is paint on a base coat of Humbrol 72 khaki drill and then, using an only-just-damp brush (a bit but not much wetter than you would use for dry brushing) of 155 olive drab streak on the OD in N shaped strokes. This looks good enough in 1/48 and I would have thought should look even better in 1/32

Jason B, what I do for Fokker streaky olive is paint on a base coat of Humbrol 72 khaki drill and then, using an only-just-damp brush (a bit but not much wetter than you would use for dry brushing) of 155 olive drab streak on the OD in N shaped strokes. This looks good enough in 1/48 and I would have thought should look even better in 1/32

Thanks

I tried several techniques similiar to that, using both acrylic and oils (I don't do enamels) and couldn't get a satisfactory result to my liking. After my last attempt my temper got the worst of me, and lets just say that I no longer have an entry for the group build...

I've been using a profile I found on Wings Palette and for better or worse I think I'll have to stick with it. (I'm almost finished with it). This build is just for my shelf so I can live with any inaccuracies. Let me know if it jeopardizes it's status with the Group Build guidelines. (I'm sure I will do at least one more!

this is the link Dr.I Profile. I will post pic later tonite.

Thanks again for all the input it's been a great help.

-Brian

Well here is where I stand. just have a few more things to do and she should be finished!

Like I said in my last post as far as the markings go, I've had to make due with what I had on hand.

rb6.jpg

rb7.jpg

rb8.jpg

Thanks again for all the info

-Brian

• 2 weeks later...