Hobby Boss Lynx Mk.90 / 95

When I heard Hobby Boss would be releasing the Lynx Mk.95 with decals for the Portuguese Navy I was very happy about it. Last night, I brought one home.

Upon opening the box, I imediately noticed that the Portuguese Crosses of Christ looked off, too skinny. Comparing the decals with a photo of a Navy Lynx confirmed it. Next the lettering. Hobby Boss decided to print the word "MARINHA" (NAVY) in black lettering. The Portuguese Lynxes have these in white. Also, the font looks wrong too, but even if it was right, the decal is unusable. Hobby Boss also forgot to add the Portuguese Navy symbol, which would go on the pilots doors.

The antennas underneath the tail boom are also wrong for the Portuguese Lynx (at least for those I've seen and we don't have that many in our Navy). It will be just a matter of cutting the parts to the correct shape though.

Hobby Boss also forgot to give any painting indications, except for the exterior.

These are my initial thoughts on this kit. I'm glad I have this option to build a Portuguese Navy Lynx, but the decals will have to come from another source (which I don't know if it exists).

Ricardo

Edited by madcow

Whats about the shape and details accuracies of HB Lynxs?

Possibly the Airfix is the best mould of this subject, leaving behind the Revell/Matchbox and Frog kits.

But... are HB Sea Lynx better than Airfix? Im not sure.

Any help to add light is very appreciated.

Cya.

Heyy, my bad. I wasn't aware of those old markings on the Lynx. It's the first time I see them and I checked many Lynx photos.

I just ordered Santa Cruz's sheet :tease:

Ricardo

• 3 weeks later...

Well even if I am not a 1/72 guy I picked two of these kits and feel somehow disapointed by the differences in the construction of the real deal and the representation made in this small model.

In my personal collection I may have well over than 400 Lynx images. The following images have the real Lynx in the background in a walkaround I made in 2002.

This first image shows the difference in the raised detail of the real Lynx and the rows of dimples created in the Hobby Boss kit. Honnestly in this scale they look more like tiny holes. But gladly this is light years better than that old Airfix model that is devoided of any of these.

Lynx_01.JPG

Anyway I will fill all those dimples. What I need to find out is that the smallest Archer 1/35 dot rows will look cool here or overscaled.

This second image is nearby the cabin area. The real Lynx is quite complex.

Unfortunately the undersides are also too plain and at least the ones under use in my country have one zillion bumps and apparatus underneath.

Lynx_02.JPG

And finally the interior.

Lynx_03.JPG

I was expecting some wall cushion detail. A common feature in real choppers and something kit manufacturers normally add. For example the real old Monogram kit has an outstanding interior.

Well - the kit is quite good. Nevertheless I feel a certain disapointment for the fuselage outside and inside detail.

If you guys need images of the real one, just ask! :thumbsup:

Edited by Nuno Andresen
Luis - a FAA Flettner?

May be... I have an Airfix Sea Lynx and wish to take on of these HB kits. One for FAA and the other for the COAN, of course.

Well even if I am not a 1/72 guy I picked two of these kits and feel somehow disapointed by the differences in the construction of the real deal and the representation made in this small model.

If you guys need images of the real one, just ask! :whistle:

Many thanks for your observations and revealed details. Im concerned abouth the shape and accuracy of the nose zone, specially in earlies Sea Lynx.

Cya!

Edited by El pibe vitina

The Hobby Boss kits are nice generally but while they make most everything needed on a sprue somewhere, the right sprues are not always included. So far I have only seen Sea Skuas in the German release with the special scheme (which is not armed in pictures I've seen) but the alternate scheme is a stock german machine so I guess they should be in that kit but they should be in all the others too. Some kits leave out Berp Blades when they need them and also the newer rear gear sponsons. There is a clear sprue that has bulged window side doors but so far I have only found it in the German kit (I see it is in 90/95 kit too, the H sprue) when it should have been in the two British kits also, or even all kit as a choice along with original side glass doors. Also please note that the later tail rotor (Part F6) is molded with the blades turning in the wrong direction (Airfix got it right) Check pictures as the rotor changed direction when updated but the kit rotors both turn the same way and the F6 one is wrong. I think you can build a nice kit but you need to study pictures and in some cases borrow from other Hobby Boss Lynx kits or loot the Airfix kit....

Cheers

Bruce

Edited by RCAFFAN

I knew that Dave, I guess I shouldn't be typing late at night.....(or maybe it was indigestion :thumbsup:)

Cheers

Bruce

Edited by RCAFFAN
This first image shows the difference in the raised detail of the real Lynx and the rows of dimples created in the Hobby Boss kit. Honnestly in this scale they look more like tiny holes. But gladly this is light years better than that old Airfix model that is devoided of any of these.

For me, the recessed rivets are not problem, no aircraft kit ever has truly accurate surface detail and the BH kit does at least create an impression of the surface detail even if its not strictly correct.