Well I just recently bought a Blue Angels F-18 by Hasegawa and when I opened the box the first thing I noticed was the terrible colouring of the decals. The last time I looked the Blue Angels had bright yellow trim, not dark yellow trim as Hasegawa seems to think. They are almost a tan colour. The decals are completely the wrong yellow and I need to buy something else that looks right.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket decal sheet in 1/72 that they would recommend buying which is the correct yellow?

Thanks,

Mark

Microscale did Blue Angel F-18 decals in 1/32, 1/48, and 1/72.

Microscale 48-1000 and 72-889 are the Blue Angel decals from the 2004 season. Microscale 32-70 was an older season.....maybe 1987 or something like that.

You can currently buy the 1/48 or 1/72 direct from Microscale: http://www.microscale.com/

To be honest, with the world wide popularity of the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds, I'm surprised that a good aftermarket decal company hasn't picked up that mantle to put out a nice, well fitting, high quality, and up-to-date set of markings for each team in 1/48. I've never used the Microscale Blue Angel decals, so they may be great. I know that Tamiya has a 1/48 and 1/32 boxing of the Thunderbirds, but I've heard that the decal quality could be a little better.

Hope this helps.

JED

Edited by B-1 Nut

You may not want to hear this, but I have heard that no matter what decals you get, the yellow over dark blue paint just will not quite do the job. So some folks advocate using two sets of decals and laying one set directly over the other to make it pop. If I were building one, that is what I would do.

Edited by DutyCat

Dutycat,

The problem of the blue "bleeding" through the yellow was identified by Hal Tippens many years ago. That is why his first published sheet of the F-4J in 1/48th scale, were specified to Microscale that there must be two layers of yellow so as there would be no bleeding. The Yellowhammer 1/48th scale sheet for the F-4J remains to this day, to be best sheet available for a Blue Angels Phantom in 1/48th scale. I am sure that whenever David Klaus bought the Yellowhammer decal line from Hal, he continued the tradition of "getting it right" like Hal did. I will let you know as I have recently purchased the Yellowhammer 1/32nd scale sheet for the Tamiya kit. Cheers!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Edited by SonyKen
  • 1 year later...
JASMINE DECALS have Blue Angels in 1/48, 1/72 and 1/144. I don't know whether the yellow's the right tone, though. On the sheets, against a light blue background they look a tad bright, but on a dark blue model they might be the right hue.

Has anyone ever used Jasmine decals and if so what is the quality like?

Thanks

Jasmine Decals are awesome! I used the Blue Angels decals on my 1/144th models.

DSCN3274.jpg

DSCN3221.jpg

They go on just like any other mainstream waterslide decals and the color is awesome; none of the blue shows through what-so-ever! Sorry for the poor photos.

V/r,

John

Edited by John King
  • 2 weeks later...