Trumpeter LAV-25

I just finished my Trumpeter 1:35 scale LAV-25

LAV25_1.jpg

LAV25_2.jpg

LAV25_3.jpg

LAV25_4.jpg

LAV25_5.jpg

All in all, a pretty fun kit to build, and an interesting little subject sitting next to the monster M60A1 and M2 that I already have on the shelf.

Paint is Model Master Acrylic "US Army/Marine Desert Tan". I used a pastel chalk sludge for the weathering and then adding the soot from a Tamiya Weather Master set (set C IIRC). I wanted the front armor panel to look like it had been dinged up a bit, from hitting rocks and other fun stuff....so I took my rotory tool and beat on it a little bit.

What do you think?

They have a AA version?

SIGN ME UP!

Check this out....this is a pretty easy weathering technique that I use.....and I am a weathering idiot, so if I can't screw it up, you should have no trouble at all! I use the same technique for aircraft, though it seems to apply much better to armor subjects

Take a stick of pastel chalk, I get mine from a little art supply store that sells them individually, so I don't have to buy a whole pack with colors I would never use. I find a good burnt umber works well for desert. Then, I take my hobby knife and scrape the stick until I get a nice pile of colored powder. Usually I do a 2:1 water to powder ratio...1 teaspoon water to half teaspoon powder...but I go a tad heavier for armor. Then add a couple drops of liquid soap and mix it up. I let that sit and apply future and decals, then after that is all dried and cured, I apply some MM Acryl flat coat. Once the flat coat is dried and cured, it's time to dirty it up. I let the sludge sit so the bubbles from the soap go away...but there is another reason too. You get all that nice thick sediment settle to the bottom....starting at the wheels, or roadwheels/threads...apply a thick coat of sludge, making sure to get some of that thick stuff from the bottom. Then, brush the sludge over the rest of the model. Then, once it is covered, go eat a sandwich. Come back in about 15-20 minutes and see what you got. The sludge should be dry or getting really close. If I were doing an aircraft, I would typically give it a nice bath under the sink and lightly scrub away the sludge, leaving a slight hint of dark grey and the panel lines. But, for armor I get a paper towel and dip a corner in water. Ring out the towel before hand so it doesn't take off too much and just start wiping. Obviously you want to wipe in the direction you want smears to go in....front to back, maybe horizontally on the sides. Just keep on wiping stuff off until you like what you see...and then if you want, add some more in places, or add a different shade...whatever. I never wipe the wheels or threads though. In fact, once I am done with the chassis, I usually go and add a second coat of sludge to the wheels...really thick, and let it run down so it settles in the bottom of the rim...that makes a cool effect.

Very nice. I would suggest repainting the barrel (gun metal color) or if you have something that shows it tan, weather the tip up some and the inside of the barrel (that part would be painted).

I like that AA pic with the 19 shot pod on top. Get some!

Yeah...when I was looking for reference photos online I could have sworn I saw the barrel tan....now I just checked and it's gun metal. Oh well....that is an easy fix!

Do want that LAV-AD!

I also like the look of the Command vehicle and the mortar carrier!

I looked thrue my books and couldn't find a picture of the rocket pod in use,the SAM pods,yes,but not the rocket pods. It does look cool with the Vulcan,one Sidewinder pod and the 19 shot pod all bunched up! Get one Paul!!!!! Gordon has them. Thanks for the weathering tip, I'll give that a whirl on my way too clean LAV! :thumbsup:

Don't know about in use. The LAV thread in research. You posted on that thread. Had some nice pics.

• 2 weeks later...