"Odd Rods" in 1/72 needed..

Hi all.

I have a request;.... if anyone has a couple of spare 1/72 scale "Odd Rods" laying around, I'd like to take them. (These are the IFF antennae used on most Soviet produced jets produced after about 1960.)

The parts are so tiny, they probably have no real value, but you would have my eternal gratitude, and one owed favor! even if they have been painted or have been stripped off an old model, that would work too.

I will need two of them. But one is a start..

Thanks in advance;

AC

Why not just make them from scratch. It's not difficult, even in 1/72 scale. I do it regularly. You just need some fine wire or stretched sprue and a small drill bit. Mark the location, drill the holes to fit the wire and glue it in place. Then, if necessary, you can trim the wire or sprue with clippers or fine scissors.

Ed

Thanks for the suggestion but thats not what I want to do on this one.

Anyway, hopefully someone has an old Mig or a Sukhoi laying around in a garage or attic Кость Двор (Boneyard)

AC

Sorry scooter, but do not be crazy!

It is really such simple to do it. Just cut off one small, one middle and one longer piece of plastic rod (made from sprue over candle).

It is work for few minutes.

I just cannot simply imagine a modeller who cannot (do not want) to make such easy thing...

The worth of postage could be several times more expensive than the thing...

Please, try to "wake up"

Edited by tiger331
Sorry scooter, but do not be crazy!

It is really such simple to do it. Just cut off one small, one middle and one longer piece of plastic rod (made from sprue over candle).

It is work for few minutes.

I just cannot simply imagine a modeller who cannot (do not want) to make such easy thing...

The worth of postage could be several times more expensive than the thing...

Please, try to "wake up"

To Tiger331:I am sorry to and destroy your unimaginable fallacy, and the other implicit remarks within your message can be read as a negative evaluation of my skills and work ethic. Now I see why some say the hobby and its traditional spirit of co-operation has deteriorated over time. It was a polite, simple, workable request, but evidently one that is met with some derision on your behalf. I apologize for wasting your time.

Thank you to the others for the other polite suggestions, and I will move on.

Actually they are flat 'blades' rather than rods.

Thin, aluminium, airfoil shaped blades with parallel sides and a rounded tip.

In three sizes - short, longer, longest - hence the name 'Odd Rods'

Quite a few etched-brass sets include them - by far the best medium to represent them in 1:72 scale.

Ken

(Thanks)

Here are some from the tail of a Mig-21 - they are the three rods on the top. Conceptually they look like this, but sometimes they are on a small base - and the three attached to a base are what I was looking for.

Below that are some underneath and Su-22. just adjacent to the ventral blade.

Usually in 1/72 kits they come like that which makes them easier to mount. They are basically a flat blade x 3.

DSCF0650.jpg

DSCF0607c.jpg

Edited by scooter

Do you know what they do? some sort of air data I'm sure.. The chick in the red shirt in the first pic looks like she is wondering what they are also... Or she's like me and just smacked the trailing edge while looking down! :worship:

Edited by C-130CrewChief
Do you know what they do? some sort of air data I'm sure.. The chick in the red shirt in the first pic looks like she is wondering what they are also... Or she's like me and just smacked the trailing edge while looking down! :rofl:

These are the IFF antennae used on most Soviet produced jets produced after about 1960.

scooter, I don't thing tiger331 wanted to be impolite towards you. Probably he doesn't know your modelling skills and what he gave, was just a friendly advice on how to recreate them.

My view on this matter. I have yet to see the correct odd-rods myself. I admit I usually make them myself from 0.3mm (in 1/72) lead wire. But I haven't seen them yet in PE form with a base. You usually get them the shape of three sticks interconnected with one at the bottom - which is again wrong. Even if you somehow manage to recreate the base, the lower connecting stick is too high for the base to cover it; so you either have to thin the lower connecting stick (and risk ruining the whole piece) or find another solution. My best bet would be recreating a diamondshaped base from thin sheet styrene or similar material and using scrap pieces of some PE fret for recreating the antennas. I don't think buying any PE set just for the odd-rods justifies the expence...

I don't think it was an attempt to be rude, either. Probably, like me, he was just wondering why Scooter would want to search high and low, and spend money on something that could probably be a five minute job and very inexpensive as well.

Thanks DonSS3 and Sebastijan.

I really did not want to offend Scooter, but as you stated, I just really did not understand the reason for such simple thing. And I also tried to advice him...

And I have to say that this is really good forum, where is possible to find solution for anything.

Over.

Attached is a picture of Odd Rods (SRO-2 in origin) replacement - newer Parol IFF on Czech Mi-17. The antenna is of triangular shape and it is possible to find it on more modern Soviet/Russiaa A/C.

http://s703.photobucket.com/albums/ww35/ti...nt=IMG_2739.jpg