We drove down to Concrete, Washington yesterday to see what might be interesting in the way of old aircraft. I had heard that this was one of the "must-see" fly-ins and I wasn't disapointed. Concrete is situated in a valley east of Skagit-Bayview with a paved runway and some of the soothest grass parking that I have ever seen.

The hangars are filled with some of the most incredibly re-finished aircraft and I thought that some of the guys here might like to try this one on for size.

Name that plane!

Barney

DSCN3189.jpg

DSCN3190.jpg

DSCN3188.jpg

Ow, my freakin eyes!!!

More like, "Ow, my freakin' polishing arm!!!"

Beautiful little plane. Don't know what it is, but from the look of it, I'd guess a Curtiss model. And is that a Dauntless-style dive-brake under there? That'd make for some fun during flour-bombing competitions :) .

:wave:

How close would I be in saying it's a Ryan. Not sure what model but pretty sure it's a Ryan.

You can see in the first pic it says 'Ryan' on the tail... :wave:

Nice little plane. Looks like someone has some time on their hands to keep it looking spotless.

:)

That little sweetie would be a kick in the arse to fly, it has a stick instead of a yoke....so you have a hand free to do other things such as...cuddle the seatcover that is if you have one with you. My headset that I had allowed me a free hand as it had a mike button that could be attached to the yoke, so instead of holding the mike with one had and the yoke with the other..I had on hand free most of the time. However not on takeoff, any a GA pilot knows the reasn for that. However things change over time....uhhh Slick got any comments on that :thumbsup: .

Added: Barney is that first one in the second series a Lockheed "Vega"?, if not it's a very close facsimile. Looks a lot like Willy Posts's "Winne Mae".

Edited by Angels49

:tumble:, G'day rcaf 101,

Thanks for that. I did notice that after I'd posted my reply. Number 3 in the second lot that Barney posted is also a Ryan, an STM perhaps. I think there's an early Mooney in there as well, the little red single seater rertractable tricycle undercarriage bird.

:worship:,

Ross.

Some how my responce to Angels49 was deleted. The big yellow bird is a Howard DGA-15...DGA,( Damned Good Airplane) followed by not one but two Mooney Mites, a WACO RNF and finally a Ryan STM.

The quality of the restorations in this hangar and 4 others owned by one guy are really beyond imagination. The pinking tapes on all ribs and stringers have been blended into the finish in a manner that I have never seen before and I've done enough of this type of work.

Barney

Wheel skirts would be the hardest to do with metal foil. Cowling looks hard but there would be a seam line on it, so the foil would be workable.

• 2 weeks later...

Great shots of some absolutely beautiful airplanes! The Ryan and Howard are especially nice.

Although, I have to say that the Globe Swift is tops on my list of vintage GA planes. There's one that hangared at my local field. An absolute delight to fly, by all accounts.

Kevin

Ok..here's a start..

LouisanaHeatwave.jpg

SSFSMustang1.jpg

Ok..so they're not models...well, not yet at least. I've got to find a decent P51H to tinker with.

The first Mustang is one that I designed the paint scheme that will be going in one of my 1/48 D models.

These are for MSFS FS9.

Thanks for posting the pix...great looking aircraft.

KJ

I can see why you'd need protective goggles to look at some of those planes. The finishes are remarkable. Nice collection and the photography was superb. :wave: