So I'm working away at my F-14B and I'm trying to get the colors right. Firstly I know Gypsy 100 had the typical TPS but I'm a bit confused. I was looking at the reference picture here:

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-colours.htm

I assume that this is the typical scheme that my cat would have worn?

FS 36320 Dark Ghost Gray on top

FS 35237 Medium Gray on the front sides, a bit around the intake sides and the vertical stabs... correct?

FS 36375 Light Ghost Gray for the bottom and side of intakes...

Sorry for asking but in the picture as per the link above sometimes it's hard to tell what color goes where especially on the vertical stabs...

So is my above description correct?

Also which of the grays would be on the front part of the INSIDE of the air intakes? (35237 or 36375)

Thanks for the confirmation...

-Greg

Ugh... good thing I asked.

One more question though... since I have to use Tamiya paints can any of you suggest which paints to start with and what mix to go with? I assume I'll have to mix certain Tamiya grays with white and or black to get the right shade...

Any help here would be tremendously appreciated.

-Greg

I had seen in a previous post from VFA-103 guy that even the drawing is not necessarily correct, let alone the FS numbers. The exact placement of the colors seems to differ from certain squadrons and machines, your best bet would be to find a pic of the aircraft you want to replicate (and the time period of course) and go off that. good luck! (im sure a Tomcat Mafia Consigliere will be here shortly to giver you even better info than myself)

Hey guys... ya I'm using the Fightertown decal set as well... can't beat it frankly :-) That said, even though there are great color instructions, you can't really tell where the 3 different FS colors are on the jet. In fact it looks like all of the top is 35237, ALL the sides 36320 and only the very bottom 36375... but again that's what IT LOOKS LIKE... i'ts very hard to discern any shade differences from the instructions... so it appears to be quite different from the linked scheme above...

-Greg

Andy DUDE!!!! You are a life save mate... I really appreciate these pics they will be my guide :-)

One further question... I would assume based onthe above picture that the gray bits inside the air intakes (just at the front) would be in 36320?

Also, what would the underside look like? The complete underside in 36375? (except for the fuel tanks)?

Thanks.

-Greg

Andy DUDE!!!! You are a life save mate... I really appreciate these pics they will be my guide :-)

One further question... I would assume based onthe above picture that the gray bits inside the air intakes (just at the front) would be in 36320?

Also, what would the underside look like? The complete underside in 36375? (except for the fuel tanks)?

Thanks.

-Greg

As confirmation, the Fightertown decal instructions are usually bang on and they confirm the above. For the intakes, I'd go with 36320 since they usually sprayed them the same as the sides. It's too bad there isn't a pic of the underside, but I think you have it correct with 36375 everywhere but the tanks.

48015_VF-32_Tomcatweb.jpg

Another quick question... there is one panel line that I see pretty much in all the 2D drawings of Tomcats but can't find it on photos of the real thing:

48015_VF-32_Tomcatweb-1.jpg

When building my F-14B should I remove this panel line or leave it in?

-Greg

What Nick said........

The radome was one piece, no panel lines.

The only thing I can think that line is, is the old demarcation line from where the aft part of the radome was painted and forward part was not. This was common after right after the cross over from the G/G scheme to the TPS there where birds out there that had a line there. Those lines went away after a few years, when the plane went through corrosion the radomes where sanded down and repainted, thus eliminating the line. I remember some planes having those lines, it was basically two layer of paint, the forward part thin, the aft part a few millimeter thicker.

Since it's a Bravo and the last cruise, that line would not be there, the radome would have been sanded and repainted at least 15 years earlier.

Reddog :soapbox: