F/A-37 Talon from STEALTH

Meh, I enjoyed the movie, and I like the aircraft. Is it stealthy? Hell no. Plausible? I really doubt it. Entertaining for 2 hours? I sure think so.

Price is a bit steep, but I'd probably still get it if/when I could afford it.

The price makes me wince a bit... but the subject is very cool, and its a big aircraft, just look at the size of the cockpit. While I enjoyed the movie for what it was, I loved the aircraft. It looks like you get parts to make all three variations from the one kit.

The price makes me wince a bit... but the subject is very cool, and its a big aircraft, just look at the size of the cockpit. While I enjoyed the movie for what it was, I loved the aircraft. It looks like you get parts to make all three variations from the one kit.

All three variations?

They were all the same poorly designed AC. Joshy-Washy says in the movie "Only three Talons were ever built". I don't remember there being separate variations except for Jessica Biel's bird having no redundant flight controls. :worship: Maybe that was the prototype? :P

On a related note, I think that the AC are kind of contradictory. When one looks at it from a non-fighter standpoint the Talon makes sense as a very-high-supersonic, long-range precision strike AC with stealth. The lack of rearward visibility could be attributed to a need for very streamline aerodynamics and maintaining a stealthy shape.

But it still grinds me that at no point in the flick do ANY control surfaces move or the engines display TV capability, and yet Joshy-Washy can still out-maneuver a Su-37 with an engine out. Also, the 'I can see all of my wingmens' faces on the screens' concept...did anyone NOT find that offensively stupid?

Not too hard to understand why it bombed harder than a squadron of BUFFs.

All three variations?

They were all the same poorly designed AC. Joshy-Washy says in the movie "Only three Talons were ever built". I don't remember there being separate variations except for Jessica Biel's bird having no redundant flight controls. <_< Maybe that was the prototype? :P

On a related note, I think that the AC are kind of contradictory. When one looks at it from a non-fighter standpoint the Talon makes sense as a very-high-supersonic, long-range precision strike AC with stealth. The lack of rearward visibility could be attributed to a need for very streamline aerodynamics and maintaining a stealthy shape.

But it still grinds me that at no point in the flick do ANY control surfaces move or the engines display TV capability, and yet Joshy-Washy can still out-maneuver a Su-37 with an engine out. Also, the 'I can see all of my wingmens' faces on the screens' concept...did anyone NOT find that offensively stupid?

Not too hard to understand why it bombed harder than a squadron of BUFFs.

The movie makers didn't design it to be realistic. They designed it to look cool, and it does look cool. I find it no more "offensively stupid" than any other movie aircraft out there.

Though I will agree that with the amount of CGI in that movie, the lack of moving control surfaces was rather crappy.

I kinda thought the faces in the on screen displays was sort of 'Macross-ish' myself ...

Gregg

I will give you that (and later in Joshy-Washy's AC the MFDs are displaying proper readouts). But that was the 1980s. This was the 2000's.

Dude, it was a MOVIE. Plan and simple. Check brain at door and drool at the pretty girl. Shall we rip apart other movies too? Let's see

Top Gun

Behind Enemy Lines

Iron Eagle

The list is endless. Nuff said

Yeah, why not?

Quentin Tarentino had the right idea of Top Gun.

The SH certainly cannot outrun a SAM, esp with drop tank fitted. And what SAM in the world has a burn time of three minutes an the incredible HOBS necessary to keep tracking the SH after a couple of those J-turns? And lastly, what kind of arms manufacturer fits a shotgun to the head of SAM?

Don't get me started on Iron Eagle.

And I'm just as anal about the F&F franchise (though they are a bit more enjoyable)

Edited by sv51macross

Well I've got news for you guys, apparently the F/A-37s ended up looking the way they did because the director apparently liked Macross (more then likely Macross Plus with the FS winged YF-19 in it). As such the stylistic touches aren't coincidence.

As for me, I like the film. It has its cheese, but it was better then some of the other crap to come out during that period. It also had one of the better soundtracks to come along in recent times as well. By that I am talking about the score album by BT, not the rock stuff, although the tune "Invincible Skin" makes me want to drive like a maniac to work as I sing the lines "Burn Baby Burn". But I have always had a Beavis complex (yes, FIRE FIRE FIRE!). :cheers:

Now somebody just has to do an EDI UCAV. I need something to go with my Testors and Monogram F-19 Stealth fighters.

Well I've got news for you guys, apparently the F/A-37s ended up looking the way they did because the director apparently liked Macross (more then likely Macross Plus with the FS winged YF-19 in it). As such the stylistic touches aren't coincidence.

Aside from fanciful aerodynamics that would have a hard time working in RL, what styling cues are shared? Yes both have fwspt wings but the shape of the wings on the Talon is closer to the Su-47 IMO than the YF-19, and the Excalibur's wings sweep back, the Talon's wings sweep forward.

Outside of Macross 7 and Dynamite 7 (Mac7 movie, what DYRL was to SDF) what VF did not allow the pilot to see behind him in some way? And if the director was a fan of Mac 7, then he does not deserve his eyesight or testes.

Well, the movie was directed by Rob Cohen, he did the first Fast and the Furious movie as well as a movie I did enjoy, the first Dragonheart ...

Gregg

"...and a Motec Systems Exhaust..." the stupid *** let that enormous bug-up slip through. Motec makes engine management systems, not exhausts. Then again, that grinning flaming-homosexual blond they cast as the lead is just as bad. That whole movie was so full of tech errors and cliches I classify it as a comedy and not an action film.

-Who the heck replaces floorpan panels with diamond-plate?

-Since When did the 1998 Eclipse GST come with a 6-speed?

-Amazing how the 4G63T recovered from it's fried piston rings to be able to spirit Dom away from the cops.

-Nitrous is not explosive. Those bullets would have just made the world's biggest silent fart.

-Why the heck would you dump a SR20DET into a S2000?

-Why the heck would you even build a S2000 into a drag car in the first place?

-Wow, even in the late nineties it only took $15,000 to turn a burnt-out rusty hulk of a Mk-IV Supra into a ten-second show-quality drag car?

-And then that drag car can withstand several jumps that would in a normal vehicle drop the block out of the engine bay?

You get where this is going...:tumble:

Yeah but like Matt and I said, they're just movies ...

You think us aircraft and car guys have it bad, think of how all the gun folks have had it in a lot more films over the years ...

Gregg

Yeah but like Matt and I said, they're just movies ...

You think us aircraft and car guys have it bad, think of how all the gun folks have had it in a lot more films over the years ...

Gregg

Lol guns, don't get me started on that.

And it's true that the FA-37 doesn't resemble the YF-19 too much, just Forward Swept wing that swinged forward vs back. When we went to watch it a few years ago, everyone cried someone in the production was a Macross Plus fan. Ehem, YF-19 -> FA-37? X-9 Ghost + Sharon Apple -> EDI? Ups they forgot the love triangle and the singing diva, but if you insert too many similarities then someone would likely think of suing.

And for godsake, it's a movie.

PS And after watching Jessica Biel in a bikini I really forgot that I was watching such a bad movie.

PPS I think I need to go castrate myself and gouge my eyeballs.

Edited by Inquisitor
  • 5 weeks later...
"...and a Motec Systems Exhaust..." the stupid *** let that enormous bug-up slip through. Motec makes engine management systems, not exhausts. Then again, that grinning flaming-homosexual blond they cast as the lead is just as bad. That whole movie was so full of tech errors and cliches I classify it as a comedy and not an action film.

-Who the heck replaces floorpan panels with diamond-plate?

-Since When did the 1998 Eclipse GST come with a 6-speed?

-Amazing how the 4G63T recovered from it's fried piston rings to be able to spirit Dom away from the cops.

-Nitrous is not explosive. Those bullets would have just made the world's biggest silent fart.

-Why the heck would you dump a SR20DET into a S2000?

-Why the heck would you even build a S2000 into a drag car in the first place?

-Wow, even in the late nineties it only took $15,000 to turn a burnt-out rusty hulk of a Mk-IV Supra into a ten-second show-quality drag car?

-And then that drag car can withstand several jumps that would in a normal vehicle drop the block out of the engine bay?

You get where this is going...:thumbsup:

damn dude...

CALM. DOWN.

It's just a movie... not even one that you were required to watch. (at this point that could go for either F&F or Stealth). Remind me never to go see a movie with you, I'd likely come out of it wanting to kick you in the throat, lol... sheesh. It's people like you who take all the fun out of going to see a summer blockbuster.

Anyone who goes to see a film (other than a historical doccumentary) expecting accuracy is setting themselves up for massive dissapointment... AND epic fails when they whine to others online about said-discrepancies.

(meanwhile, back on topic)

I'm no fan of the design (beyond FSW, I don't see much of a Macross comparison... but I didn't like the VF-19 (in any of it's variants) or 21/22 for that matter) but for that price, it had darned well better make your coffee too. (unless the resin company is ALSO taking a cue from Macross 1/72 resin products, which companies like Yellow Submarine, B-club, etc regularly price well north of the $100 mark). Someone will be sucker enough to buy it though, so maybe they'll trick it out.

Edited by Skull Leader

LOL interesting thread

For the FA-37 kit: Well the kit is in resin, producing the masters and the kits does cost a bit. If you look at the Collect Aires line, a lot of their kits go for over $100. If this one's mass produced (1/72 1/48 or whatever) in injected plastic, you may see it go out for $40 +- a bit depending on the company,etc?

Has there been any hollywood fighter plane type movies that have been accurate? ESPECIALLY the newer CG ones - I don't really think so. Its basically eye candy - and for the guys, not just the planes.

OT: Whats your take on the vf-25, the one from Macross Frontier. Multicolored plastic kits from Bandai to go with it too :thumbsup:

LOL interesting thread

For the FA-37 kit: Well the kit is in resin, producing the masters and the kits does cost a bit. If you look at the Collect Aires line, a lot of their kits go for over $100. If this one's mass produced (1/72 1/48 or whatever) in injected plastic, you may see it go out for $40 +- a bit depending on the company,etc?

Has there been any hollywood fighter plane type movies that have been accurate? ESPECIALLY the newer CG ones - I don't really think so. Its basically eye candy - and for the guys, not just the planes.

OT: Whats your take on the vf-25, the one from Macross Frontier. Multicolored plastic kits from Bandai to go with it too :thumbsup:

I understand Shoji Kawamori's desire to 'get away from stealth designs of current times', but there is no way that aerodynamically the VF-25 would be better than a Sturmvogel II or Excalibur. The design from the standpoint of a spaceplane is good though, multiple maneuvering thrusters, good visibility, and flexible flight controls. As well, seeing an effective melee weapon is cool too. I just think that, like the sv51, the VF-25 seems a bit...spindly, though transformation is slick.

The Bandai 1:72 kit...less impressive. The forward fuselage cannot lock together in GERWALK and some of the proportions are off in Battroid mode as well.

I understand that 90% of the people who saw Stealth were too stupid to see the Talon II and think anything but "Duh-uhh, purrty airplane." but I feel that they should have been the littlest bit believable as combat aircraft. The only thing that they had going for them were the internal weapons racks.