Airfix 1/24 Ju 87 Stuka

Thank you... but tonight isn't a good night... I dropped the landing gear. Clipping some of the brass off with my old metal cutters they broke. A piece of the cutter hit me in the face, and next thing I knew, the lower landing gear portion made last night, turned back into just as many pieces as I stared with. *sigh*

With that, I put everything down, went for a smoke, made myself a drink, walked around the yard a bit, and then went back and began picking up the pieces. What didn't help was the rubber tire bouncing, taking parts with it along it's flight path. Mind you, the thought of a crashed Ju-87 diorama did cross my mind...

The plan is to rebuild as much as I can. The upper piece is still good, and rather than building up the lower piece as frustrated as I was, two piles were made - usable, and unusable parts. After that was done, I decided to start from the top down... with the upper part of the strut still good, I began constructing the top half of the scissors out of what else, but the beer can I had finished. That piece is now drying from it's hit with paint, and I've decided to call it a night.

At the end of it all though, I can't help but laugh. Tomorrow I'll be going into town and hopefully finding a place that's open, picking up new cutters, and carrying on.

I do apologize for no pictures tonight, tomorrow though, if all the stars align, my zodiac sign helps out, my lucky numbers work, and I get the good blessing from my better half... I'll finish the landing gear.

On a side note, my face is doing much better now!

Goodnight/good morning, and I'll talk to you all soon!

Mark.

Hello all,

Alright! Progress. And Pictures. Progress Pictures!!!

Today I started redoing the scissors. Looking at the one completed last night, I wasn't happy at all. So, rather than just beer cans, it was a combination of thin brass plate and beer cans. First couple of pics show the upper scissor being made:

firstcut.jpg

UpperScissor.jpg

This is the upper strut with the scissor mounted on it:

UpperScissorcomplete.jpg

Once happy, it came time to rebuild the lower strut and get it all together. That went well I must say, so with the wheel now completely assembled, all that needs to be done is just finishing paint, weathering, and cleaning that rubber tire - that darn thing works better than a lint-roller at picking everything up.

strutsprepainted.jpg

And finally, I didn't push the strut as far as it's supposed to move... sitting with an "estimated" model weight on the wheel, you'll see the strut on the left, and it almost fully compressed on the right:

upanddownprepaint.jpg

Next thing after the strut is painted and good to go, then it's setting up a jig with the intent to line up both main wheels properly, and construct the strut mount inside the wing root that I'm working on right now... then hopefully without damaging anything, tuck the strut away until almost the very end.

Well, hope you enjoyed the pictures. let me know what you think so far.

Mark.

Oh my... this is sooo cool!!! :)

We are surrounded by talented people here in ARC!!! Excellent work, Kostucha! I am following you with much interest!

Congrats!

FAB

Edited by Fabster

Thank you very much! Tonight I hope to prep the wing root for the landing gear alignment. Once I have the point marked out, I will then get to work on completing all the work within the fuel cell area of the wing root, as well as the framing inside the wing (as you'll be able to see through the openings in the wing spar and from the panels forward and rear of the wing spars).

I'm aiming at completing the wing root section by the end of the week. Hopefully there will be some good pictures up tonight. Thanks again for all the comments.

Mark.

Well folks,

Didn't get done as much as I wanted to tonight. I opted to spend most of the night with the little guy rather than hiding in my garage, no matter how much this Stuka keeps calling my name. I did get at the wing root again tonight, specifically at the portion of the lower area behind the secondary wing spar. AND, I got my drill bits today. so, figured, what the heck, why not drill some holes. First picture is showing the opening under the wing with the rivet holes put in:

5.jpg

I also put in the inner frame where the smaller panel behind the big one is removed. Through this one - if my information is correct, there will be lines and linkages to the landing gear (break cylinder, actuator, and the break line itself leading up to the wheel).

Carrying on, I finished up some work behind the wing spar, as mentioned, cutting and fitting the "ribs" of the wing - only what will be visible through the openings in the wing spar:

4.jpg

There is still work on the back to do though, in this section I'm still going to add the break system (mentioned before).

Further to the last two pictures, here are a few from around the wing, focusing mainly on the "hollow" spar section, and what you will be able to see through it. Debating on whether to put the fuel tank in or leave it out once things are said and done. Likely will leave it in, but, who knows.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

As you can see I'm jumping back and forth between the landing gear and the wing root. It's really a matter of how much time I have to work. The landing gear takes much more time than laying in rough evergreen, and depending on what's going on around the house, I'll pick my battles wisely with the Stuka. Tomorrow hopefully everything in the back will be done, and the night after I can lay out everything for the front half and the remainder around the fuel cell area, fit the mount for the landing gear, and work on everything around the top half of the wing root, having the whole shoot and sha-bang glued together by Sunday-ish.

Enjoy!

Mark.

Thank you all very, very much! I've found a great picture (obscure, but great) showing the shape of the bottom of the fuel tank on the wing root. Go figure, it was staring me in the face all along. It's a picture of a Ju-87 on the factory floor, the section of wing I'm working on is being worked on, and way in the back corner, took me a few glances to see it, but there is the fuel tank on it's side, bottom facing out!

Going to be making that out of a piece of balsa wood.

Thanks again!

This is fantastic. I love the landing gear. When I am bending wire, I have difficulty getting the precise shapes that I need OR the wire just doesn't keep the bends as I thought it would. What sort of tools do you use to bend the wire?

I have the narrow files with the rubber grip about 4 mm in diameter, and use that for most bends, but more or less, anything else that's nice and round can be used, and I "over bend" the wire so that when it's released it has the perfect shape/bend. As well, I use either solder or brass wire. I've tried copper before, and it was just a pain.

Hope this helps!

Mark.

Decided this morning looking at the Stuka, that I'm going to open up one of the "skin" panels over the wing, and the fuselage to show the inner workings of both areas. The wing will show the control linkages for the ailerons and flaps, as well as the electrical wiring for the wing-tip light. The section on the fuselage will be opposite to the First Aid kit section, showing control linkages to the tail, electrical to the tail light. I'm hoping I can put this portion in directly behind the open bulkhead aft of the gunner/radio operators section As well, depending on the panel layout and lines, I'm hoping I can do the same for the horizontal stabalizer and the vertical stabalizer.

Tonight I want to finish the fuel tank area in the wing root, and then be able to move onto the section forward of the primary wing spar.

Just a few quick update shots. The fuel tank is measured out and almost ready to be painted. The area between the spars that will hold the fuel tank is finished on the bottom half. Once the tank is in, then the straps will be connected, as well as the two fuel lines, the two ribs overtop the tank will be mounted in, and after that, well, everything forward of the spar will be installed. Here are the pictures of what's finished tonight. (I'm happy that the corrigated section finally came out clear on these pictures).

Mark.

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

I'll have to show you guys how I ended up having to build the fuel tank. The idea of shaving down the balsa, yeah, that didn't work out so well. Ended up building the tank like the real things were pretty much built - get the sides cut, wrap the rest of the tank around the sides, and shave it down leaving a little lip on the edges, then it's the space to put the lines in and finally having the fuel filler cap and other cap put in... furstrating? Somewhat. Happy with the final product, definitely. I'll have those pics up later tonight after work.

Mark.

Well folks,

Lots of progress tonight - I had to... turns out Sunday I leave for a week for a quick course - gotta love the airfoce... anywho, with that, I set down to lay out the groundwork for final installation of the tank...

Started with everything forward of the primary wing spar. As a side note, this isn't everything that would be on either side of the spars in the actual aircraft. What is being put in is merely only what would be seen through the open ports in the spars, and the access panels opened. Now that I've mentioned that, let's continue on. Starting with the runners, then the ribs, I added the plumbing after that, and finished off with the runners overtop. They will lay flush with the upper portion of the wing root. Don't ask me how much it took to get the right height for the upper runners to sit flush... I don't want to talk about that... anyway, here's a few pictures of that:

1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

Here I tried to represent the plumbing in the forward section that would be seen through the panel. I couldn't figure out what the connector colours were in the black and white picture, but they were definitely not the silver of the lines. Given that they were two different colours, the only two that stuck in my mind for "opposites" would be red/orange and blue... so that's what was put in. I tried to take as clear a picture as I could, hope it looks clear in this one:

3-2.jpg

Next was finishing up the fuel tank. All that needs to be done is to drill in the two small holes that will be the locations for the fuel line and vapour line in the bottom (the thick and thin ones underneath), making the mounting straps underneath and above, and the fuel filler cap and the small cap on the other side. The flash on the camera was the only way I could get a clear shot with the lighting I had this time of night, however, the tank is much more dull and less orange, but a faded red that is bang on with the Red Oxide paint chip sample I found. The wrapped piece around the two side pieces worked out better than expected. Here's some pics of top and bottom:

4-2.jpg

5-2.jpg

And finally a quick dry fit of the tank in the assembly:

6.jpg

Enjoy! Hopefully I'll have the whole shoot and sha-bang done tomorrow.

Mark.