Airfix 1/24 Ju 87 Stuka

Alright, tonight I'm hoping to get the 5 round belt done up and posted, as well as the sanding/smoothing/sealing up of all the seams, and get the groundwork ready for the scribing - sunken rivets sure, but the 'pop' rivets - oh that'll be fun.

Also, getting a lot of good info on how I'm going to get myself ready for painting the acrylics. First time using Acrylic paint, so in the Tools & Tips I asked a couple questions that I couldn't find in the search engine.

All that aside, I'm thinking that this Stuka is going to be finished sooner than I thought!

Excellent - it'll be more in detail than the pictures before, and it'll have more/better pictures taken as well. It really is quick and simple David, it'll give anything a nice touch in this scale, and I can see it working very well in 1/32nd as well. 1/48 may be too small.

JP, thank you very much!

David, that would be pretty cool!

Last night not much got accomplished - and for good reason too, the young pilot in training wasn't happy with his... well... he didn't say, he just wasn't happy. Not in the slightest - and he obviously takes priority over the Stuka... though every couple hours he was reminding me of the devastating effects of dive bombing, dropping his own loads for daddy to deal with.

Anywho, I've taken my pictures and writeup to work with me, and shortly - David - the how-to in the tools and tips section will be up.

Happy Modeling!

Mark.

I have a 1/32 F-15C that im tempted to open up some pannels on or maybe on my 1/32 zero. Just need to get the scales right!

Looking forward to it.

David

You know, opening panels is not the hard part... I find the hard part to be in knowing what lies beneath. Duplicating it is the good part, and for me, painting it is the fun part. Mark here is an excellent example of this. Research, research, research...

-Al

Research, research, research...

Until your eyes are bleeding... Al is right - if you're going through the effort of opening them up, it's hopefully to show what's underneath. There is a lot more plumming than I thought in this one - but, it is definitely giving me the look I was hoping for.

Alrighty, the How-To in the Tools & Tips section on the MG rounds is up.

12 out of 10! Thanks Chuck! And I'm happy you're enjoying the rest of the kit too.

Tonight I'm hoping that I get a chance to work on the kit a bit more, but it all depends on how the little aviator is feeling. If I do get a chance, then I'm going to finish off the panel joint lines. This will be the last time I'm gluing fuselage halves together like this, and not just from the PITA with filler and sanding. The "Welding" method is by far the better choice, especially for the strenght. I keep worrying about the bottom and top of the fuselage cracking down the road from the weight of everything inside this bird. I've run both thick and thin superglue inside the seams, an let it run inside the fuselage, but I hate hearing the model creek everytime I pick it up and all I can think is that there is still more to put on...

Anywho, once it's all sanded down, I'll begin working on the smaller details around the a/c... starting with the canopy sections.

Until then,

Happy Modeling,

Mark.

Once it's on the mirror and finished it'll be fine, but between now and then, I'm still crossing my fingers.

Mark,

I'd forgotten all about this thread and I've spent the last 20 minutes catching up and giving myself an inferiority complex. I think I'll take up needle point now, know any good websites? ;)

Just amazing work, sir! :thumbsup:

Mikester! Thank you very much. Don't know needle point, but the wife does know a few gals who get together and do needlepoint, she can ask them... if I recall, she calls the night "Stitch and Bit....." well, we wont finish that... anyway, thank you for the compliments!

I'm drifting from book to book tonight looking for something, and a small little sentence popped out that got me scrambling to make sure it was true... sure enough, I'll be dammed... the Stuvi Gunsight was replaced on the Stuka's at the same time as the control column went from the rounded oval to the control stick. Sweet jebus, I'm building a Revi C-12-C! (Happier, as there's a whole heck of a lot more reference material out there on it).

Joyous is me...

Hello all,

Did some more work tonight. Got a lot of the filling/sanding done on the one side of the wing - unsure of how well the gaps were filled, I decided to mask off and hit the wing with some primer. This way I'll be able to tell if my methods are working, and if not, fix them sooner rather than later (later being after everything has been rescribed and rivets put back in). So, the LH wing was the subject matter. Needless to say, I'm glad I did this - more work was needed in areas. But, while at it - and Jake, this one's more for you - I took some quick snaps of the metal panels after the quick coat of primer.

Here are some shots of the nose panel I did:

1-23.jpg

2-21.jpg

3-20.jpg

A quick one of the tail - still work to be done it seems:

4-17.jpg

And the wing panel:

6-13.jpg

Well, looking at this wing though, some more work is needed along the edges, and some area's along the fuselage, but other than that, looks like it's coming along well. I'll get back at it tomorrow night once the paint dries, but until then all,

Happy Modeling,

Mark.

Got some work done on the Jumo tonight as well - dirty? Yes, very. Once the final coat dries, tomorrow night maybe - as a break from filler and sandpaper - I'll put the final bit of black pastel chalk mixed with pencil lead to give it a bit of a sheen. The hose underneath needs to get cleaned up, and faded out a bit, then it'll be time to bust out the soy sauce for oil spots/stains... love that stuff. It's great on rice too!

The grime you see just above the heads (best seen in the second picture, under the spark plug wires) was achieved by dusting the area with a mix of black, brown, and grey pastel chalk, and then using a very thinned gloss black (about 5% GB, 95% thinner) it was applied using tweezers. It's not quite dry in the pictures, but that's pretty much what it will look like.

1-24.jpg

2-22.jpg

3-21.jpg

4-18.jpg

Mark.

I'm thinking that I may just try the foil over the leading edge of the wings and see if that works. If not, I could always pull it off. Worth a shot I think.

On the block tonight - elevators!

Edited by Kostucha

As sad as it sounds - seam filling is my weakest point. Always hated it, because it's such a PITA to get it right - like I said before, this will be the last time I'm gluing parts together like this, I'm going to give the "welding" method a go on the Fw 190. But, you're right David, it's not that much work. I'm hoping to have the whole a/c under primer by the weekends end. Then... onto the RLM's!

Looking good Mark,the engine looks very nice.

I take it your FW-190 is in 1/24 scale,have you found any after market decals for it as i also have one of these,by the way i have not recieved your stuka dec's but as soon as i do i will let you know :thumbsup:

Keep going your doing great.

Clive.

Edited by viper494

Thanks Clive!

Yeah, the FW-190 is going to have it's markings painted on as well - so I'll be prepping the decals and send them over to you soon. They're not in great shape, a couple of water spots on them, but the important ones are good to use though.

Mark.

Thank you Ben!

Tonight a lot of good progress was made. The needed filling in some areas was done, while in others - that heat tape works great! Man that stuff is awesome. So, inbetween working on that, I worked a bit more on the engine. Oil cooler up on top of the Jumo was finished again, and the two lines, as well as the engine exhaust manifolds. So, without further delay, pictures!

8-8.jpg

6-14.jpg

4-19.jpg

3-22.jpg

2-23.jpg

As for the soy sauce mentioned in the last post... this is what it helps with:

1-25.jpg

Gives a bit of a cleaner oil stain on certain things. Anywho, let me know what you all think. Thank you, and happy modeling,

Mark.

Thank you Gents!

Tonight I'm thinking that everything leading up to - but not including - the radiator should be finished on the engine (there's a bit more plumbing to throw on there, as well join the engine exhaust manifolds to the rest of the engine at the middle (in the second picture you can see the gap from underneath).

I'm also going to tackle the gap in the RH wing at the landing gear post. If I'm right, and I really hope I am, then I can start scribing panel lines tonight and adding the popped rivets in. That's the hope at least.

Thanks again for looking.