Airfix 1/24 Ju 87 Stuka

Thank you!

I'm going to attempt to use the stencils to put on the markings underneath, this will hopefully give a good white & black comparison. I've compared the colour to a number of references and it seems to be pretty darn close. With the right amount of pastel work before and during weathering, I'm hoping to make it just right.

Cheers!

Mark

Mark, you truly are an inspiration!!!

Your craftsmanship is enviably good and it shows in every piece you put into this project

I can only imagine how good it'll look when done...

Greetings!

FAB

Edited by Fabster

Wow, been away from this for a while and am staggered by what you've achieved in the meantime - simply marvelous stuff. Even on the screen that sight looks miniscule ! Keep it up, brilliant stuff.

Obant.

:wub:

...it's over.

I was painting the upper side with the RLM 71, which I must say did come out pretty darn close to what I was hoping for... the Stuka fell and I was helpless but to watch her thunder in on the hard floor.

I've been sitting here for a couple hours looking over the parts, and almost ready to pack everything up and walk away from the hobby. Then... somehow I started to laugh. It's but a hobby right? Life goes on, it was a heck of a run, but there will be more kits. Unfortnately, this one was just never destined to be finished.

So... she really didn't hold up too well to the fall:

DSC04979.jpg

DSC04980.jpg

And honestly, I don't think I've sworn so loud in my life before... I'm going to go for a smoke and have a drink I think... anyone want a perfectly intact 1/24 Jumo 211 from a B-1?

Ironic isn't it, this one ended up thundering in exactly like the original 5136 did so many years ago...

I'm actually alright with it. Again, it's only a plastic kit.

I've got everything boxed up, found all the parts I think, and am putting it all aside for later down the road. Luckily, the engine, which I feel took the most effort, is completely intact, as it was sitting in a seperate box, wrapped up and waiting.

This one will get done, I'm sure of it... just not right now.

Thanks though.

Cheers.

Kostucha,

Yikes! I've been down this road before!

But listen, I'd be more than happy to receive all the pieces, put it back together and send it back to you for completion. God knows, I've wished I could of sent some of those kits I broke when they were 3/4 of the way finished, to someone else!

Larry

Wow, thats terrible. I feel for you, man. The same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago. I opened up my apartment window with my Academy 1/32 Sufa sitting on top of the instruction manual and a strong wind blew in and shifted the paper sending my model falling onto the hardwood. It took me about 5 days to re-sand the spine area, re-scribe and get the paint back on her.

I hope you can recover from this, it would be a shame if you gave it up.

Blimey - it's a shame, an absolute shame. On the up side, it's great to hear how well you're coping with this cruel accident and I, for one, am still looking forward to following your other projects - as always, all the best...

Cheers ..

Obant

:D

• 3 months later...

Talk about diggin this one up from the grave.

Recently found a donor kit - well, not really a donor, it'll be started with a few lessons learned the hard way put into the build. But, ALAS, a 1/24 Stuka should hopefully be finished.

Thankfully that orininal Jumo engine is still mint - so it'll be used for this build. My wife suggested something interesting - she likes the picture of a Stuka (all closed up except for the open cockpit) getting an engine swap done... so maybe that'll be the length of the scratch building. 1/24 Diorama of a simple Jumo swap in the field. Hopefully with just a little tinkering I might get away with just keeping it a B-2. I will be using the 1/24 Airscale cockpit dials though - MUCH better than anything I could have done with either the kit panel, eduard instruments, or what I had done before.

Anywho, ya... she's not going to stay in a box for too long...

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark, whats your email addy? I have a great pic you could use to build from!

PM Sent! Can't wait!

Could turn it into a rather large crash diorama. I hear you're not afraid of rather large dios.

lol

Hang in there.

I've got a stockpile of 1/72 kits that'll be filling up display cases, along with 1/48's, showing various RCAF, RCN aircraft. I'm thinking that with the larger ones (1/24's) and the LMM build, a diorama once in a while would be a whole heck of a lot of fun.

Cheers!

Mark.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Kostucha,

Sorry to see the accident, however you have skills and willpower visible from your build to put that back together blindfold, you cant come all that way and be defeated by that, no way. You are surely made of stronger stuff than to waste all that effort. Take a lungfull of air and tackle it, once at it you will have it done before you realise it.

I must heartily thank you for the build, I have spent years assembling Stuka refs for the Airfix kit for a build of that nature so I commend you most greatly for what you have achieved so far. I would be interested to see what refs you referred to, also is that all from post war books ? Did you have access to wartime manuals ? I find details on the stuka cockpit and engine area very thin on the ground.

Did the restorer of the B1 you refer to have refs we havent seen in print ?

In what country is he ? PM me if poss rather than inundate him with comms !

I would love to also communicate with him. To know someone is doing that is great news.

This is truly a great reference thread you have made. I now wish to know how the full size one is progressing.

To tackle my Stuka is now made a whole lot more easier. The shots I have of the German museums stukas interiors will make more sense now.

Now get the glue out and show us you can get to the finishing line !

BOBC

P.S. if one ever drops anything, unless its acid or sharp, lift the foot to intercept, break the fall, lessen the impact speed etc.

Edited by BOBC

I feel your pain Kostucha.

Same kit same level of progress. All the painting was done and it was sitting on the dining room table, only surface big enough to hold it, waiting for decals and weathering and final details. The cats got on the table and started fighting. They knocked it off and I caught it by the wing tip. Only one dive brake broke off. Chased the cats away and put it back. Well cats will be cats and I didn't catch it the second time. I have another tho and like any other model that got broke, I will apply what I learned and try again.

Larry

• 11 months later...

Does anybody know what happened to Mark? He hasn't been involved in any modelling site since December 2011, and I can remember him making a farewell post at the time, but I could never figure out why. He and I chatted extensively back in the day, and he even sent me a Revell Beaufighter kit. I hope he's OK - does anybody know his status?

Kev