Airfix 1/24 Ju 87 Stuka

Jocke,

Thank you very much!

Alright all, as promised, pictures...

Got most of the radio finished up tonight. All that's left is the "empty box" and the rails, then onto the radio panel in the fuselage. Some small minor details are left to make - where the wires will plug in from the RH fuselage half to the radio piece. I think I got it pretty close but I was running out of space fast. Here are the pictures:

Front Face - some detail left to do on the lower right hand side:

2-14.jpg

The LH side:

3-12.jpg

The RH side:

5-8.jpg

Top Views:

1-15.jpg

6-7.jpg

7-2.jpg

And something for size comparison:

8-2.jpg

Looking forward to input. Thank you again everyone.

Mark.

Al, thank you. Yes, I absolutely LOVE working in 24 Scale - give a lot more oppertunity to throw in a little detail here and a little detail there that otherwise would be... well, not impossible (read: looking at Pierre and what he can do, I would LOVE to see him work on a 1/24 scale a/c and see what he could do, the man has a gift!). But yes, I am really enjoying 1/24.

Mark.

Würger... oh Würger... where has my Würger gone... oh! There she is, hiding behind the Stuka...

Edited by Kostucha

Thank you all very much! Coming from guys like yourselves, that really does mean a lot. For the first time in a long time, I've really been truly enjoying this build. It is afterall a hobby, and should be enjoyed. Each of us have similar motivations to the hobby, and at the end of the day, if we're all enjoying the builds, sharing them, talking about them among fellow ARC'ers on the forum, then it's a good thing. Building things on this Stuka, then turning around and sharing it with you all has really been the highlight of this build. Input, help, advice, and just general discussion - that's something I missed on all my other builds before I became a member of this Forum.

In other news, I've almost completed the write up on building the Ju 87 B/R/C models (tips, colours, details, etc). I'm hoping to have it submitted onto the Forum under the Props section sometime around this weekend.

Further as well, in compiling information the Fw 190 (eh, I've got to do something when nothings happening at work), reading up on the aircraft of Sturmstaffel 1. Amongst some of the rumored truths of the unit, really reading up on what they were, what they did, how they flew... wow... and it's a unique looking 190 with the add-on armour. I'm not sure if I want to make an A-6 (White 1 or White 2) or an A-7 (White 5 or White 11). This one I'm sure will be a lot of fun as well... the real thing is one awesome looking bird.

Mark.

Edited by Kostucha
Thank you all very much! Coming from guys like yourselves, that really does mean a lot. For the first time in a long time, I've really been truly enjoying this build. It is afterall a hobby, and should be enjoyed. Each of us have similar motivations to the hobby, and at the end of the day, if we're all enjoying the builds, sharing them, talking about them among fellow ARC'ers on the forum, then it's a good thing. Building things on this Stuka, then turning around and sharing it with you all has really been the highlight of this build. Input, help, advice, and just general discussion - that's something I missed on all my other builds before I became a member of this Forum.

In other news, I've almost completed the write up on building the Ju 87 B/R/C models (tips, colours, details, etc). I'm hoping to have it submitted onto the Forum under the Props section sometime around this weekend.

Further as well, in compiling information the Fw 190 (eh, I've got to do something when nothings happening at work), reading up on the aircraft of Sturmstaffel 1. Amongst some of the rumored truths of the unit, really reading up on what they were, what they did, how they flew... wow... and it's a unique looking 190 with the add-on armour. I'm not sure if I want to make an A-6 (White 1 or White 2) or an A-7 (White 5 or White 11). This one I'm sure will be a lot of fun as well... the real thing is one awesome looking bird.

Mark.

Cant wait!

Thanks JMan.

Progress is coming along with the Stuka. I managed to get the radio mounted into the RH fuselage half, and will be working now on the main transponder underneath it. This big box looked a little blan, so sometime ago I decided to take the main access panel off of the front. Once that's done, and the antenna spool in the rear cockpit installed in the floor, the entire RH fuselage will be complete.

Only problem being is that there is a long laundry list outside of the model build that needs to get done and simply, it takes priority, so trying to find time to build and sneak that in is becoming a bit difficult. No excuses though, just things that need to get done.

As I said before, I'm hoping to have the RH fuselage half completed by the weekend, as well as have the write up done on building the Ju 87 B/R/C posted.

Thank you again to everyone for your continued interest and comments with this build,

Mark.

What's more, and I think this may be a little bit of an interesting point - I managed to get exact paint chip colours of the metal undercoating (such as over areas like the engine firewall).

It seems interesting, how the Stuka - like many other Luftwaffe aircraft of this time had the Gold/Green undercoating, some left exposed, other parts were then oversprayed with a red oxide, and then RLM02.

I'll post up the pictures of it later on - once I get the internet connection at home working again.

Further, the 190 will be an Fw 190 A-6/R-8, of Sturmstaffel 1, flown by Leutnant Werner Gerth, 6 March 1944 (where he downed 2 B-17's over Braunschweig, 3 minutes apart!), (I believe it was White 1 that he was flying), when they still had the MG's in the nose and the idea of what the Sturmstaffel was to be was first being experimented with in February/March/Arpil of '44. Ballsy pilots...

Mark.

Edited by Kostucha

Hi Mark

Just read through this thread and i must say this is a great build,i picked one of these kits up for £5 yesterday and the only thing missing was the kit plans.I have already started it but for me its all guess work till i get in touch with Hornby tomorrow,to which im hoping they will be able to help out with the plans situation.Looking forward to the rest of your build hope to see more progress soon good luck.

Clive.

Hi Mark

Just read through this thread and i must say this is a great build,i picked one of these kits up for £5 yesterday and the only thing missing was the kit plans.I have already started it but for me its all guess work till i get in touch with Hornby tomorrow,to which im hoping they will be able to help out with the plans situation.Looking forward to the rest of your build hope to see more progress soon good luck.

Clive.

Clive,

I posted a quick message with regards to this issue you're having, like I said, PM me if interested, I'd be more than happy to help.

JMan,

Thanks for your post! More to come on Monday.

Alright everyone, got 5 quick pictures for you. Managed to get the upper radio mounted in, the radio cover, a couple of small extras (map section and a small pouch of junk ontop of it, and the section of radio with the cover removed. Lots in there, but not much will be seen when it's all together. But, gives the effect.

Top View:

DSC01851.jpg

DSC01853.jpg

DSC01850.jpg

DSC01844.jpg

DSC01843.jpg

After I take care of some other things here and there, I would hope to be able to start the internal framing of the LH fuselage half and the tail structure. Thanks all!

Mark.

Edited by Kostucha

Thank you Janne

Funny you should mention that Al... I did send an message to the gentelman overseas rebuilding 5136 asking if either one smoked (gunner or pilot). The pilot didn't, that's known... the gunner/rad op? Unsure of. But, the roll of TP is going in where the 4 black wires and one thick one go forward of the radios on the LH side... figured it would be easy access to both the pilot and rad op/gunner.

There are still some minor touch-ups that need to be added to the radio's, however, as space is getting tight, and there are still a couple more parts to put in on the LH side first, I'll wait with those until LH/RH fuselage halves are joined together before I add them in. space is getting REALLY tight in there...

Brewer, thank you!

Well folks, gave myself a bit of a kick in the butt to get moving on this one - told myself that I wouldn't build the 190 until this one's done, soooo... I want to get the -190 completed for the DOTR2 GB... time to get 'a cracking I guess eh?

Ian, thanks for the compliment.

Al, I've gone with Military Aircraft Monthly. Not an easy choice, but I'm thinking that this will be the subscription. As always, if another magazine has an issue out for the month that has something(s) that I want, I'll pick up that issue individually, but yes, MAM for the birthday!

Stuka is coming along nicely. I'm happy with the results within the LH side of the fuselage. Unfortunately there is only one thing that is frustrating me, and that is the issue of my internet connection at home - seems the provider has really dropped the ball - again, so until I can get that connection working, no pictures. The work internet wont allow me to use sites like photobucket and other things... but there are some nice ones that will be posted (hopefully) soon!

I did manage to get the issue of "warped spine syndrome" (you know, you cut the top panel off of the fuselage and the whole dang thing wants to keel over and die on you when it starts to warp in the opposite direction...) Ahhh, thank goodness for a steam iron.

As well, all the details inside the cockpit are FINALLY finished - that is, up to the steps of where I'm supposed to be - finished off the map case for the pilot, thermos, and the antenna cable spool wheel assembly. Soon, SOON the LH & RH fuselage sides will join forces together under the mediation of superglue... and that, I can't wait for.

I'm hoping also to hammer out the engine section of the fuselage info for building tips on the Stuka by end play today!

Take care all, and happy modeling!

I'm just that much closer to the Wurger