Airfix 1/24 Ju 87 Stuka

Nothing too special tonight. Just a quick picture from the camera taken some nights ago of the LH side.

stuka1.jpg

It's friggin cold outside (camera's in the truck right now), and the paint is still drying a bit on the LH fuselage side, so I'll take pictures sometime this weekend and upload them. Anywho, there's some more fun I'll soon be working on in the Defense of the Reich 2 GB... a preview if you will.

Thanks again everyone!

Mark.

Looking ccol

Hi Mark could i plug you for some ideas on referance to the engine ,do you know where i could get some from as im having trouble wiring the thing up.Im making the Battle of Britain Ju-87B-2 .Thanks for the help on this its most appreciated.

Clive.

Clive,

Here's a link to the "Building the Ju 87 B/C/R" http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=194116

In there the last update I had has a lot of engine and wiring information. If this doesn't help, PLEASE let me know what more information you would like to see and I'll post it up in that thread so that there can be as complete and consice a collection of information on building the Stuka as possible. I'd be more than happy to help!

Mark.

John,

Glad to see you're enjoying the site! You'll find many, many members here make the experience all worth it. The combined knowledge of all the members here is simply amazing! Everything from tips on building, to historical information on specific subjects! Can't wait to see some of your work!

Mark.

Tonight the first batch of pictures I e-mailed to photobucket finally showed up! It only took *looks at watch... *

Anywho, these pictures show the work that was started on the LH fuselage side in the rear part of the fuselage:

Panel cut out:

1-17.jpg

Starting the groundwork for the runners on the bottom half - guess who ran out of No. 113 Evergreen at this point?

2-16.jpg

First bit on the vertical stabilizer:

3-14.jpg

Realized I forgot to drill through the holes on the forward vertical truss - so it was added as best I could without breaking anything:

4-11.jpg

Hopefully the rest of the pictures show up soon - shows the completed vertical stabilizer above the horizontal stab. mount (the part you've seen tonight), and the work underneath, including the tail wheel assembly. After the back end was done, I then went back to the very, very tedious and boring center section and finished all that off. (The Stuka for right now is drying - final paint has been sprayed and the next thing to do is the control cables, electrical cables, and finally attaching LH and RH fuselage halves.

More pictures soon hopefully.

Mark.

Al, It's the Ju 87 B-1/UI (W.Nr. 5136)

Alright folks, more pictures showed up - yeah, that in combination with the continuing internet provider issues I'm going through explain the delay in posting. Anywho, here are some more pictures for you all:

All the framing inside is done...

1-18.jpg

First coat:

2-17.jpg

Outter layers of the vertical stabilizer framing:

3-15.jpg

Second coat:

4-12.jpg

Dirty/Darker coat with a little bit of the red oxide coming through the paint on the vertical stabilizer (the camera unfortunately doesn't do it justice):

5-9.jpg

Some of the electrical wiring and control cables in:

6-8.jpg

Some more:

7-3.jpg

Shot of the vertical stabilizer up close (I was test fitting the tail section at this point - everything still fits:

8-3.jpg

Some of the electrical boxes being the bulkhead are now installed with wiring (first coat):

9-2.jpg

Internal tail wheel with the tail wheel locking control cable with spring:

10-1.jpg

At this point, finally, both fuselage halves are as complete as they need to be before they are joined together. Mind you, there are still a few more parts to install, but that'll wait until the fuselage halves are together so I don't have to worry about spacing/fitment:

11-1.jpg

Fuselage halves glued together:

12.jpg

Amazingly, it all fit! Very minor fitment issues and the parts went together like a charm - thankfully as many of the guide pins had to be removed:

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Next up is getting the internal parts in, finishing up certain parts - the open panel over the fuselage mainly, the joint line and the remainder of the framing in that section, spent brass casings, and a few smaller details (the roll of toilet paper). Aside from that, and the little bit of filling, I'm also going to drill through brass rods at the front, center and possibly the rear of the fuselage at the wing joint to ensure that the bottom doesn't split once she's standing on her own legs. The it's onto the wings... figured out a great way to ensure the right dihedral angle involving a small print out, 4 small holes, 4 small pins, and a beer (or other type of drink...) More on that later.

Thanks everyone,

And happy modeling!

Mark.

Thank you all very much!

Work is slowly progressing - it's been a busy week - so much for a vacation week, it's been anything but. Gripes aside, I'm getting the wing halves on the LH side slowly ready to be put on... and the fuselage for the most part has been smoothed out from any joint lines and the right areas rescribed. Had an issue afterall with warping of the vertical stabilizer, however, with a nice little cut and a couple pieces of evergreen slipped in and glued, she's upright again. Makes me happy! Most of the work left on the fuselage is building up areas around the panels and putting in the rest of the panel frames... fun, fun, fun...

Looking over the plans again, I'm not going to be opening up the rudder or elevator. Access panels yes, but not the whole sheet of skin. Not on this one at least.

Again, thanks for the comments. Clive I'm glad I could help!

Mark.

2 1/24 Stuka's being built at the same time, ahhh, 1/24 is making a comback, I swear! Yours is looking marvelous, the engine is just stunning - the standard has been set good Sir, and you've definitely brought up my motivation to get this one done right.

I'm really looking forward to getting at my engine, but patience... patience... It'll fun to compare your Jumo 211Da (B-2) with my 211A-1 (from the Ju 87 B-1). Once the filler is dry on all the tail plane pieces, work can continue for sure! It's that horrible point of the build that really is the least enjoyable part - filling, and prepping things for the final paint work. BUT, it is still enjoyable none the less.

I keep going over in my head how I'm going to approach this one... get all the wing angles and tail plane angles just right - the initial idea of "pinning" the wings didn't work as well as I would have hoped... I'll figure something out. One thing at a time, right? Anywho, it's another late night at work so I wont be able to touch the Stuka until tomorrow, however, it'll be a fun time... the light at the end of the tunnel keeps getting brighter and brighter. The way I see it...

1. Fill, scribe, clean the fuselage, tail plane, rudder & elevators, finishing off the panel frames

2. Fill, scribe, clean both wing roots and attach them to the fuselage getting those smoothed out

3. Finish off outter wings, get those prepped and sorted out and attach those to the wing roots (RH outter wing needs a lot of work still)

4. Prep up canopy sections, mask inside, paint them, glue them onto the fuselage

5. Attach LH landing gear leg, mask, paint aircraft, horizontal stabilizers & elevators, and other parts

6. Attach horizontal stabilizers & elevators, and other landing gear leg along with any other small bits (such as tail wheel etc.,)

7. Build up, prep & paint firewall, finish everything forward of the firewall and mount it onto the bird

8. Attach final canopy pieces, bomb load and any other touch ups.

My hope, by the end of November I'm well into the Fw 190. I'm hoping about a month to a month and a half this one's finally wrapped up and sitting on a nice piece of mirror.

Anywho, that's my two cents for the night. Thanks again everyone!

Happy Modeling!

Mark.

Thanks JMan! Got the Stuka from my LHS. Honestly, I thought I was getting a good deal - and in the end it wasn't too back, total came to about 85 CND, but I would definitely look at getting one from somewhere else - possibly Squadron - better price.

Good day everyone!

Updates have been a bit slow as my only connection still is at work - last weeks "vacation" really didn't pan out to being one, was at work more than away... anywho, I did manage to get some work done. Work started on the landing gear. The kit was missing a couple points - panel lines, and bolt holes - not to be a rivet counter but these are 6 pretty big holes that are easily seen, much bigger than the average rivet... So, again, I've said it before but I must say again, Hobbydecals dry transfers are amazing! Here's the LG showing the stencil:

DSC01932.jpg

Looking at some pictures, the spats sometimes had dents, some minor, some big... decided to try and make it look somewhere in the middle, and still show the panel definition:

DSC01934.jpg

Work then progressed to getting the LH wing on - looking at fitment, there was no point to worrying too much about the filling on the leading edge of the outter wing when I was risking cracking it trying to "stretch" the outter wing to fit onto the wing root. This is what I used to get the right 8 degree angle on the wing:

DSC01928.jpg

Ended up getting it right on:

DSC01929.jpg

After that, the size of this bird really began to show itself:

DSC01930.jpg

That was that ordeal... not the easiest wing to get mounted up at the right angle... but it's on there, and I'm happy with it.

...Oh yeah, don't mind the canopy, it's there just to keep the dust and crud out of the cockpit while the fuselage is getting prepped for paint.

Moving onto the RH wing, the planning was set out as to which panels were going to be cut out and which ones were going to be left... a beer later, here's what I came out with:

DSC01935.jpg

The first place I wanted to start was the MG17 bay. I wasn't happy at all with the setup here, so I started with the evergreen. The first step was to layout the ground work and a few lines going through:

DSC01939.jpg

This was all hit with grey first, so that the second group of parts wouldn't obscure them from being painted. Once that was done, I began working on the MG17 adjustable mount and support piece, as well as ammo can and spent casing/belt can. Here's the kit part and the new ammo can - still waiting to be painted:

DSC01943.jpg

The handle, retaining pin, and other small details still need to be added to the can itself though, but that'll be after painting.

Work went out for the side and rear compartment walls - corrigation isn't the most fun to make, but, it'll work:

DSC01948.jpg

DSC01949.jpg

And once it was all hit with the grey, this is what it looks like:

DSC01951.jpg

There is still a lot of work left here to add in - the MG17 will be one of the last pieces to go in, as there is still some work left to put in forward of the main wing spar as this will be exposed as well. All fun though - this wing is definitely a lot easier than the fuselage, which still has some work to go into it, but the parts were doing their usual 24 hour dry time... but the wing in itself though will be much quicker and easier to make than the fuselage was, funny how the flatter surface makes like that much easier.

More updates soon, and happy modeling!

Mark.