SH-60/HH-60 starport-side gun-mount and some other weapon-configuratio

I´m awaiting the two Hobbyboss kits of the HH-60 and the SH-60 to arrive via mail... :)

Now my question is: Does anyone has any pictures of the gun-mount on the starport-side in the door? I already learned that if I attach the missiles on the left side (will be Hellfires for the HH and the Penguin for the SH) no additional machine-guns will be mounted on that side.

Other question: Are quadruple Hellfire-launchers always used for the HH or could I use a dual launcher as well?

HAJO

Hey-

For SH and HH only quad Hellfire launchers. Although the dual launchers

will soon return to Marine Cobras, so they may make their way to the Navy

helos also.

With Hellfire loaded, you can mount an M240D or M60D in the forward

window on the left side of the HH, just no minigun (GAU-17).

I have some pictures of the door gun mount, but I am away from home for a few days.

It's pretty much the same as the Army though.

Phil

Hey-

I assumed we were talking about the Navy HH-60H, not the HH-60G. The Navy develops thier own gun mounts so they are not the same on the HH-60H as they are on the HH-60G.

I'm fairly sure that the gun mount above on the MH-60J is not the same mount they would use for the minigun on an HH-60H. The minigun is a little heavier, so the mount attaches to both sides of the door and has a pin which can be pulled to swing it out of the way. If no one else has a pic, I'll find one when I get home this weekend.

Phil

Excellent walkaround, thanks a lot for the link!

So, am I correct if I build a SH-60 with a Penguin on the port side and a torpedo on the starport side?

HAJO

HAJO,

Are you talking about the SH-60B or SH-60F. There is a difference in that the 60F doesn't have radar and never carried the Penguin missile. Also, the Penguin missiles are no longer in the inventory.

The SH-60F can carry a total of 3 torpedoes, one on the starboard pylon and two on the port side one on the standard pylon and one on the extended pylon. The two attached pylons can also carry fuel tanks but the extended pylon is not plumbed for transferring fuel. This feature is different on the Coast guard 60 because it is plumbed for fuel on the extend pylon as well.

Naval AV8R

I´m awaiting the two Hobbyboss kits of the HH-60 and the SH-60 to arrive via mail... :tumble:

HAJO

Excellent walkaround, thanks a lot for the link!

So, am I correct if I build a SH-60 with a Penguin on the port side and a torpedo on the starport side?

HAJO

Hey HAJO,

Just to let you know, the SH-60B kit DOES NOT come with Penguin missiles, the SH-60F and HH-60 kits do, so if you want to build a SH-60B armed with Penguin, you'll have to take it out of the HH-60 kit. None of the kits have Hellfire missiles.

I know, that´s why I bought the HH-60 and the SH-60 kit. :tumble:

I have some Hellfire-launchers in my stash, so no problems in this case.

Next question: How many sensor-operators in a SH-60? One, two? Looks like there is only workplace for one in front of the console, but there are two seats.

HAJO

Next question: How many sensor-operators in a SH-60? One, two? Looks like there is only workplace for one in front of the console, but there are two seats.

HAJO

There are two enlisted guys in the back. One is a Tactical Sensor Operator (TSO) (more senior guy) and the other is an Acoustic Sensor Operator (ASO). The way this works in the back is that the guy in the far left (ASO) operates the sonar and buoys and sends the TSO in the center seat sensor information as he operates a TACNAV (Tactical Navigation) console to help the pilots build a tactical picture. The top half of the console that is on the right side of the aircraft slides into place so it is directly in front of him (TSO) when he is flying. He is able to slide this back into a stowed position while he is flying if he needs to reload the buoy chutes.

Hope this helps.

Naval AV8R

Did you guys also had the problem that when you tried to paint the model the paint wouldn´t stick to it? I´m using the new Revell acrylics and they barely hold on the plastic. I already washed it with soap and water, but I think I need to wash it with alcohol as well. What a waste of stuff... :monkeydance:

Colour-Question: I just saw the Revell 1/48 SH-60, and it has a darker grey on top of the aircraft. Hobbyboss instructions say only one grey over all of the aircraft. What´s right? One grey for all or two tones, with a darker tone on top?

HAJO

Did you guys also had the problem that when you tried to paint the model the paint wouldn´t stick to it? I´m using the new Revell acrylics and they barely hold on the plastic. I already washed it with soap and water, but I think I need to wash it with alcohol as well. What a waste of stuff... :whistle:

Colour-Question: I just saw the Revell 1/48 SH-60, and it has a darker grey on top of the aircraft. Hobbyboss instructions say only one grey over all of the aircraft. What´s right? One grey for all or two tones, with a darker tone on top?

HAJO

Two tone. Lighter color on the bottom and darker grey on top. I'll be able to post pictures tomorrow. So far I've got the extended pylon and I'll see if I can get any that capture the difference in color.

Naval AV8R

That would be cool! With "bottom" you mean the rest of the aircraft, including the sides? Because I saw this darker grey only on the "roof-top".

HAJO

ATT00030.jpg

This is the inside of a 60F with the TSO console in the center position.

ATT00033.jpg

This is the inside of a 60F with the TSO console stowed.

ATT00036.jpg

070913-N-5681S-043.jpg

As you can see the bottom of the helo is close to white...like an off white. the rest of the helo is grey. the top of the helo might be a little darker on top but not by much if any.

Hope this helps,

Naval AV8R

Thanks a lot! The B-version of Hobbyboss I have does not have anything that looks like the console of the F-version you posted here. Maybe some new type of equipment, compared to the B?

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I´d like to show you some progress on the helo. So far you can see the finished interiour and two crew figures. The pictures were taken some days before, so I can assure you that in the meantime the crew (consisting of 3 crewmembers, I didn´t had more figures here and the space behind the sensor console is a bit limited) has been finished also.

IMG_0113.jpg

I didn´t do much scratchbuilding here, although some more patient builders could do a lot to make the still nice interiour look really "woooow".

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

Some friendly ARC-member gave me an excellent link to the original aircraft, just have a look on the "Research Corner"!

HAJO