SH-60/HH-60 starport-side gun-mount and some other weapon-configuratio

OK, cockpit and crew are ready, have a look:

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

And then some moe updates:

I´m not too happy with main panel, because it leaves too much free space to look through when vieweing from the sides of the aircraft.

You need at least to scratch some kind of panel-cover, a pair of cables and stuff will be a also helpful.

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

And then my scratchbuilt port-side pylon for the Penguin.

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

HAJO

Some basic color has been applied, I will finish it in a lighter grey later. Also the blue tail has been brushed, looking quite good if you ask me!

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

Any idea if the ESM-panels are of a brighter color (=white?) than the rest of the aircraft?

HAJO

LOL, I used "Acryl-Paint" matt by "Lukas Deco", it´s a paint my girlfriend uses when she´s painting pictures... So no special model-product. Anyway, I plan to do a second and slightly darker coat with Revells blue "52", I think it better blends in with the decals of the kit.

HAJO

OK, decals are on and the first layer of matt clear coat as well.

The decals were quite ok, although they are glossy and don´t stick on the surface very well. But since they reacted good to Decal Softener they now have a good, tight fit.

Overall the helo looks reallyyyy nice, I do have some other SH-60s (of Italeri) at home and for some reason they don´t look as nice as this one. Maybe it´s the decal-option...

A bit blue, camera was warming up... :cheers: :

IMG_2560.jpg

And the other side. That Revell blue 52 corresponds very good with the Stars&Stripes decals.

IMG_2561.jpg

HAJO

Well, the Penguin mount has been scratchbuilt like mentionend in one of the previous posts. I used plasticcard (2mm) and sanded the three different portions front, center and aft section as single pieces. As for the weapon pylon I used the three (one of the SH-60 kit, two of the HH-60 kit) torpedo pylons, glued together.

The starter for the Penguin is the original piece from the HH-60 kit.

It´s hardly visible, but you can see it here if you look really carefully:

IMG_0127.jpg

Hope that helps!

HAJO

Hmm, should be an B, I´d say, I´m not an expert here. But I think the F is equipped with a dipping sonar instead of sonobuoys and the H has a different window-layout on the port side.

Stand by for some "H"-pictures soon, I just started to build the Hobbyboss HH-60H... :wasntme:

HAJO

Some update:

I finished the general cabin-layout, for some reason the FE-seats are facing outwards. That surely sucks when you have to look at the wall instead out of a window! So I rotated them back to aft view.

IMG_0155.jpg

And the first two members of the crew! I hope they both fit in the open cargo-door together with the minigun, one of them is the gunner, the other one a rescue diver. You can guess who is who. :o

The diver is a figure out of Preiser´s german pilots/ground crew-set, added the snorkel, mask and fins.

IMG_0158.jpg

HAJO

...and on we move!

The general cabin layout will see two divers and two gunners. Hope I still find some space for the ammo-can of the minigun and various rescue-equipment.

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

But the real challenge is waiting at the cargo-door: How will one diver, one gunner and a minigun with mount fit here?

IMG_0161.jpg

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...

OK, interiour is pretty much done. For the pilots I used two figures of Italeris Pilot & Ground Crew Set. I had to model a helmet for the port-side pilot using Plasto since he came "naked". As you can see I then painted the result in camoflage colours, no need to have a better and closer look at this... :worship:

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

The room itself is rather crowded, I wonder how it will be if they pick up one or two downed pilots!

The ammo-belt for the minigun is made of paper, I hope it will be flexible enough to fit to the gun when I attach it later.

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

Lumps and bumps and rucksacks are from Goffy, they look quite good, I think.

HAJO

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not updating, but I think that glueing the halves together and adding small antennas and stuff is not that interesting... :thumbsup:

Here is the bird, already painted and with decals, with a closer look at the gunner-station on the port-side.

IMG_0248.jpg

M-60 comes from Roco Minitanks, ammo-box and spent chute case scratchbuilt by me.

IMG_0247.jpg

HAJO

• 1 month later...

It´s finished!

IMG_0260.jpg

Diver ready to get wet:

IMG_0262.jpg

Lots of armament all over the helo:

IMG_0259.jpg

And the other side of the helo:

IMG_0256.jpg

Gunner watching out for any unpleasant surprise:

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

Definetely a neat kit, can recommend it to anyone!

HAJO

• 1 month later...

070913-N-5681S-043.jpg

As you can see the bottom of the helo is close to white...like an off white. the rest of the helo is grey. the top of the helo might be a little darker on top but not by much if any.

Hope this helps,

Naval AV8R

Great details!!

I just went back and reviewed S/S H-60 book and they don't include this photo.

My question is also Navy related,I just bought the new Dragon 2pk MH-60S "Knighthawk" 144th kits for colorful HSC-21/23 schemes.

Instructions just say two-tone greys as well (36320/36375),but I know SH/HH-60 "offical TPS" is three,is it the same for the newer MH-60S/Rs?

35237 Blue-Gray-top of engine/anti-glare

36320 Dk(Ghost) Gray-rest of fuselage/rotor/tail blades

36495 (Very) Lt Gray-underside of fuselage,from nose to start of tail boom/underside of SH-60B radome

The kit nice box art has the main/tail rotors in Dk Gray(is the hubs steel or gray?) but instructions show the colorful tail schemes color 35044 "insignia blue" and "flat/matt black" 35378 also on the tail rotors!!

The kit also includes not used refueling probe/radar/senors for MH/HH-60G/Ks

Lastly it looks like the HS-15 helos in Haiti have been thier HH-60H with the ESM round sensors behind cargo/crew bay?

And what I thought was a fuel tank is actaully a pod containing a life raft...!!?

Terry

Edited by Tophat25