AH-6C, MH-6 photos from AH6C-SIP-PICS ARE BACK!

Bad news gents,

Just returned from a couple of weeks in sunny SC and found a letter from Special Operations Command waiting for me. Unfortunately, I am informed that the search generated by my Freedom of Information request has turned up no pictures of the mythical EH-6B. Sorry folks, after lucking out on the request for AH-6C pictures, I struck out on this one.

Maybe one day something will turn up. As GT mentioned, it doesn't sound like this helo was that unique, at least externally (although I thought someone posted that it carried an early model FLIR) but it looks like we may never know.

If any of you require information / pictures on obscure topics like this, you really should give this request a shot. You never know what you may get back. Just go to:

www.soc.mil/FOIA/FOIA%20Request%20Form.doc

Regards,

John

John,

Thanks for trying. I'll keep looking on my end. We'll find one one day if photos exist.

Ray

John,

Thanks for trying. I'll keep looking on my end. We'll find one one day if photos exist.

Ray

I second that. If there were only a handful of EH-6Bs converted, it is possible that we might never see a photo of one. Maybe, one day, a photo will appear out of the blue. Fingers-crossed!.

LD.

If any of you require information / pictures on obscure topics like this, you really should give this request a shot. You never know what you may get back. Just go to:

www.soc.mil/FOIA/FOIA%20Request%20Form.doc

Still appreciate the effort. I've singled out this bit because I just wanted to ask what format the photographs you did receive in previous requests came in. Were they hard copies or electronic?

Still appreciate the effort. I've singled out this bit because I just wanted to ask what format the photographs you did receive in previous requests came in. Were they hard copies or electronic?

They were photocopies of B&W pictures. Not the greatest quality but hugely appreciated nonetheless. It's possible that other info could be in electronic format though.

Somewhere buried in the back of this thread (or maybe on my AH-6C build thread - I'm not sure) are the cockpit pictures the Army sent me.

Regards,

John

Edited by 11bee

Good to know. I've had variable experiences with images in reproduced documents that I've requested, so I was interested to see whether you got an actual copy of the photograph or just a photocopy when it was the specific item requested.

• 1 month later...

Here is what looks like an AH-6C in Iraqi markings!

http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://...Lz6GcqQONy63NYE

I think this is the OH-6A from the George Clooney film "Three Kings". It appears to be done up as an AH-6C but I guess that it is a mock-up of some kind. Maybe it was a real AH-6C in a previous life, though.

LD.

Edited by Loach Driver
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the M261 19-tube pod was ever tested? There's a copy of FM 3-05.60, Army Special Forces Aviation Operations online here and in it it suggests that the rocket pod system (also interesting in that it identifies the system as the HGS-17, which appears to be an old Hughes company nomenclature, like HGS-5 and HGS-55) could be fitted with either the 7- or the 19-tube pods. This is also appears to be pretty clearly not the armament plank currently used.

Does anyone know if the M261 19-tube pod was ever tested? There's a copy of FM 3-05.60, Army Special Forces Aviation Operations online here and in it it suggests that the rocket pod system (also interesting in that it identifies the system as the HGS-17, which appears to be an old Hughes company nomenclature, like HGS-5 and HGS-55) could be fitted with either the 7- or the 19-tube pods. This is also appears to be pretty clearly not the armament plank currently used.

1006.jpg

1002.jpg

1004.jpg

Edited by empeter

Awesome pictures (and it looks like there's a GAU-19/A on the other side of the plank), but I should have been clearer. I'm interested to know if the 19-tube pod was ever tested on the mount developed for the AH-6C, usually fitted with the 7-tube pod, which was the weapon system in service before the plank.

As far as I know, the AH-6C never flew (or even test flew) with that big gun pod. It would probably have been too heavy for the AH-6C and in particular its main rotor gearbox. However, there is only one man on this forum who can answer your question for sure. I'm sure he will be along shortly with the definitive answer.

LD.

• 2 months later...
As far as I know, the AH-6C never flew (or even test flew) with that big gun pod. It would probably have been too heavy for the AH-6C and in particular its main rotor gearbox. However, there is only one man on this forum who can answer your question for sure. I'm sure he will be along shortly with the definitive answer.

LD.

Hi everyone, I've been away for awhile, but dropped in to see how the thread is going. LD, is right, the AH-6C would have not gotten off the ground with the C20B engine, the transmission would have not handled it, and the T/R authourity would also have been compromised. It was not until later with the J models (C30s), I believe, that could handle this weight.

BTW, I talked to one of my old Army NCOs that is currently working, as a Civil Service, with AATD, Applied Aviation Technology Divsion at Fort Eustis, VA. He indicated that they have taken the 19 shot M261 pod and removed the lower seven tubes, giving the pod a 12 tube D shape. Although in the pictures here, the pods clearly have 19 tubes, I wonder if the mod to the pod is for weight/balance or on/off load consideration. Doesn't look like, in the picture, the intervelometer cannon plugs are in place for the rocket management system.

On the EH-6... I don't know if you will ever find anyting on them. As I recall, from 1980, we only had like two OH-6A aircraft that had been configured with SATCOM radios, and perhaps with the airworthiness release they were designated as EH-6s.

Regards, GT

• 4 months later...

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_f8ldizutzFw/Sqay83jh...g%20EGABRAG.JPG

Photo linked from one previously posted on this thread: Courtesy of Ray and GT.

Hi GT. I am back again trying to get more info on the EH-6B. Is the antenna on the top of the tail-boom on the AH-6 in the photo above the same type of aerial that was fitted to the EH-6B tail-boom? Again, if this info is sensitive and it is not a good idea to discuss, let me know. Thanks.

LD.

Edited by Loach Driver

Hi GT. I am back again trying to get more info on the EH-6B. Is the antenna on the top of the tail-boom on the AH-6 in the photo above the same type of aerial that was fitted to the EH-6B tail-boom? Again, if this info is sensitive and it is not a good idea to discuss, let me know. Thanks.

LD.

Post deleted

Edited by 11bee
I always loved the Little Bird! I spent quite a bit sitting on the outside bench from time to time! Man, excellent trained pilot, flying low, sitting outside the on the bench, what a rush!

160th Has got some damn good pilots!

This thread is a wonderful (and I believe, unique) repository for pictures of Littlebirds. Most of them have never been seen before. If you have any pictures of your own, post away! I know you said you have an SF background, so any pictures of other SOAR helos (MH-47, MH-60s, etc) would also be very welcome.

LD.

The ongoing discussion on the mythical EH-6B prompted me to do yet another Google search on it in hopes of finding something. Nothing useful found but I did come across a reference to another version that I never heard of, the EH-6E. See below:

EH-6E: Special Forces radio relay and C3I variant of MD369D with T-tail and 420 SHP Allison 250 C20R engine. Three built, based on 500D/500MD but with four-bladed main rotor?. Shrouded, side-mounted engine exhausts?

The info stated that after service, they were converted to standard MH-6 configuration.

Just wondering if anyone has info on this version?

John

Edit - the above referenced google search also led me to another picture I've never seen before:

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/9994/dfsn8410848tt3.jpg

I believe that this was during the Grenada invasion and shows an MH-6(?) offloading wounded on a USN helo carrier.

Edited by 11bee
This thread is a wonderful (and I believe, unique) repository for pictures of Littlebirds. Most of them have never been seen before. If you have any pictures of your own, post away! I know you said you have an SF background, so any pictures of other SOAR helos (MH-47, MH-60s, etc) would also be very welcome.

I had a crap load of pictures the ex-wife decided to keep those, family, most of my military career, kids, etc amonst 70% of my stuff when we got divorced, just to be a .....well you know.

I really never took many pictures, except in team photos when someone else was taking the pictures. I did take pictures of when I was out of country in surroundings, but not many as most of us didn't want our faces floating around.

Here is a training video we did a several years ago, (to promote Special Operations), prior to deploying as well as in country. I am in a couple of still pictures, (one of them I am sitting in the door of a Blackhawk on the right side of the door and some in the video, one you can clearly see me, but I am not in or on a bird in the beginning when the still photos start scanning fast.

There are several video shots of working with the Little Bird. One of my good friends was a Little Bird pilot who retired about 10 years ago and now flys for Fox News Corporation flying all over the country nad his wife is the camera woman.

Edited by TheHarleyMan2
I had a crap load of pictures the ex-wife decided to keep those, family, most of my military career, kids, etc amonst 70% of my stuff when we got divorced, just to be a .....well you know.

I really never took many pictures, except in team photos when someone else was taking the pictures. I did take pictures of when I was out of country in surroundings, but not many as most of us didn't want our faces floating around.

Here is a training video we did a several years ago, (to promote Special Operations), prior to deploying as well as in country. I am in a couple of still pictures, (one of them I am sitting in the door of a Blackhawk on the right side of the door and some in the video, one you can clearly see me, but I am not in or on a bird in the beginning when the still photos start scanning fast.

There are several video shots of working with the Little Bird. One of my good friends was a Little Bird pilot who retired about 10 years ago and now flys for Fox News Corporation flying all over the country nad his wife is the camera woman.

Cool video for sure. That clip of an MH-6 with 4 guys in civies on the planks, shooting up that car would certainly make for a pretty unique helo diorama. Thanks for posting and thanks for your service.

The ongoing discussion on the mythical EH-6B prompted me to do yet another Google search on it in hopes of finding something. Nothing useful found but I did come across a reference to another version that I never heard of, the EH-6E. See below:

EH-6E: Special Forces radio relay and C3I variant of MD369D with T-tail and 420 SHP Allison 250 C20R engine. Three built, based on 500D/500MD but with four-bladed main rotor?. Shrouded, side-mounted engine exhausts?

The info stated that after service, they were converted to standard MH-6 configuration.

Just wondering if anyone has info on this version?

John

EH6E

EH-6E: This designation identifies three Model 500Ds (81-23654/81-23656) procured by the US Army under a covert budget (a so-called 'black program') for electronic surveillance operations with the Special Forces. Like subsequent versions ordered for the Special Forces, this version is characterized by its five-blade main rotor, quiet four-blade tail rotor, mufflers, infrared suppression exhaust system, and advanced avionics.

Thanks for the youtube link. There is certainly some nice flying in it. The pop-up manoeuvre by the pair of AH-6Js is a neat little move. It is difficult to tell which would be more fun to fly in the Little Bird, guns or troop insertion.

LD.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Been awhile since anyone's been on this post but just came back across it from a while back. Dont know if anyone else is interested but I have ton of photos when I was over the Little Birds at L3 in Richmond, Ky. If so just let me know and I can try and post some. Anyone know of a secure type image hosting site that everyone can see? I usually use photobucket. thanks

Been awhile since anyone's been on this post but just came back across it from a while back. Dont know if anyone else is interested but I have ton of photos when I was over the Little Birds at L3 in Richmond, Ky. If so just let me know and I can try and post some. Anyone know of a secure type image hosting site that everyone can see? I usually use photobucket. thanks

LB - I know that many folks (myself included) would love to see any/all pics you have of A/MH-6's. I use photobucket and have never had any problems. Just copy and paste the IMG code on each picture into a message on this thread and you should be good to go.

Regards,

John

LB - I know that many folks (myself included) would love to see any/all pics you have of A/MH-6's. I use photobucket and have never had any problems. Just copy and paste the IMG code on each picture into a message on this thread and you should be good to go.

Regards,

John

as soon as i get a chance i will geta few up. i could prob fill up a couple dvd's of pics so theres no way i could post all i have. i even have a few when i was in 2nd batt/75th rangers at the range. let me see what i can do...