ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
rotorwash

AH-6C, MH-6 photos from AH6C-SIP-PICS ARE BACK!

Fantastic series of shots. 

If you have Photoshop, run them though the Shadows/Highlights filter, you would be amazed at what you can see.

The CARC paint plays hell with the sensors and film before that.

Regards,

Bryan Wiblurn

Associated with that training exercise in LA, this cool picture made the news.   Love to see a closer view of that nose art, looks like they are still rocking that "No Fear" logo.  Quad tube NVG's on the operators are noteworthy...

message-editor%252F1549589647686-dy18wuu

Guesswork I've read about suggested that they're DEVGRU. Also I loved reading the discussions regarding the 160th's affinity for 90's pop culture when referencing the No Fear artwork.

51 minutes ago, hawkwrench said:

I wonder if the 160th has flown using the quad-NVG's?

Tim

You would think at some point these things would be flight-rated.   The really cool advance in night vision is color enhancement.  Looks just like day time, no more 50 shades of green....

I didn't know they were color enhanced. Got a pic of it? I thought all NVG's were green and gray.

Tim

No idea if they are using these things for flying duties but they are becoming more common as the technology improves.  I gotta believe that if they aren't flight-rated yet, it's only going to be a matter of time.  

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/25803/this-is-what-color-night-vision-looks-like-and-it-stands-to-be-a-game-changer

BTW, it's worth checking out The Drive.  They get slagged by some of our "experts" on this site but IMO, they break some very interesting stories, often on subjects that are typically well hidden in the classified world.   

15 hours ago, 11bee said:

You would think at some point these things would be flight-rated.   The really cool advance in night vision is color enhancement.  Looks just like day time, no more 50 shades of green....

AN/AVS-10 Panoramic NVGs (PNVGs) have been out for a while. I have flown with them and do not like them as much as the AVS-9s. They block out any ability to look "over" the goggles due to the platform, the tubes are not as adjustable, and they weigh more. Finally they have a "shadow" on the field of view where the images from the tubes are combined in your brain. The AVS-9s have better fidelity and once a scan pattern is developed they are just as good as the AVS-10s.

050426-F-0000S-001.JPG

Edit: It also looks like the pilots are using SPH-4 helmets vs the standard HGU-56.

Edited by Clinstone

Ground Panoramic NVG were derived from the aviation goggles. Having used a fair number of NODs (-5, -7, -14, -15, -21, -31, F5050, F5032, GPNVG, ANVIS-6, NYX, TYTO, Mini-N/SEAS etc.),  I’m not a fan of GPNVG, especially when driving a vehicle with doors/windows fitted. You bump the goggle into the window when trying to scan. 

21 hours ago, Clinstone said:

Edit: It also looks like the pilots are using SPH-4 helmets vs the standard HGU-56.

That's interesting.  Wonder why they'd be using the older helmets.   Do pilots have the option to go with whatever flight helmet they prefer (I wouldn't think so but maybe the 160th is a bit more relaxed)? Otherwise, I'd be curious as to what advantage the old helmets would provide compared to the current -56's.  

If you're talking about the A-10 driver, that is not an SPH-4 helmet....

I have my old unit I used in the 70's-80's and commercial mountain oil exploration work in the 80's and it decidedly does not look like what the A-10 driver is wearing...

Bryan

PS: We also had possibly two of the VERY few OH-58A's with Oxygen system in them, that's what the white bayonet clips are for.  We had two UH-1H's and two OH-58A's with O2.  We eventually used a Navy system that went to the bayonet fittings vs the snap on fittings 

BWDenver_SPH-4.jpg

Edited by BWDenver
add

1 hour ago, BWDenver said:

If you're talking about the A-10 driver, that is not an SPH-4 helmet....

I have my old unit I used in the 70's-80's and commercial mountain oil exploration work in the 80's and it decidedly does not look like what the A-10 driver is wearing...

Bryan

PS: We also had possibly two of the VERY few OH-58A's with Oxygen system in them, that's what the white bayonet clips are for.  We had two UH-1H's and two OH-58A's with O2.  We eventually used a Navy system that went to the bayonet fittings vs the snap on fittings 

BWDenver_SPH-4.jpg

No, I was referring to Clinstone’s comment above on the MH-6 pilots.   

Not sure I would say that looks like an SPH-4, the ear cups on the RH pilot look too sharp, not as flat as an SPH-4.  

The LH pilot does look like he's actually wearing a different helmet, ear cups look a bit more contoured but the camouflage marking on the helmet are doing it's job.  Looks very much like the Gentex HUG-56/P

- Bryan

Here are some tweeted pictures from SOFIC 2018 (May) that definitely has the pilots wearing SPH-4s.

Edited by Clinstone

Lot of SOF guys have gone away from the quad-tubes in favor of PVS-31s due to weight and size concerns, as well as some of the issues mentioned above in this thread.

As for who it was in the pic I've heard it was one of the SFGs, not SEALs.

According to information on this page, 68-17357 was a "Special Ops Communications bird" due to its unusal radio mounts.

https://slideplayer.com/slide/1661852/

I have 68-17358 down in my list of references as being an "EH-6B" but either this is possibly another EH-6B or there is confusion regarding which of the two was a Spec Ops Little Bird. Apparently NASA required it for some test or other in 1973.

LD.