AH-6C, MH-6 photos from AH6C-SIP-PICS ARE BACK!

Any chance you have a template of the blade holder in your pic? That would be a nice addition to a future Littlebird I have planned.

No such luck, I based mine off the pics that were posted in this thread way back. GT posted one above but I'm pretty sure there are 1-2 more buried in here.

I just eyeballed it. Took me about 8 tries to get it close, still isn't perfect but it works for me.

One note - I think it's pretty cool that the 160th guys apparently just went down to their local Home Depot and bought a sheet of plywood, a can of orange spraypaint and some misc hardware. 30 minutes with a sawz-all and the job is done. If the regular Army needed this, it would have been made out of precision fabricated aluminum and probably would have cost the taxpayers $10,000 per unit.

At some point I plan on taking this part off my model and repainting it. When I built the original, my airbrush had just died, not entirely happy with the colors.

Good luck with yours.

PS - GT, in looking at the pics above, I just noticed the guy with the 101st patch. Before the 160th came out of the black world, did you folks wear this patch on your uniforms?

Edited by 11bee

My CO in the 2/82nd was Cpt. Kurt Heine. The same Cpt Heine that was the door gunner on Bob Johnson's hawk in Grenada. On his arm was the 101st patch. I always wondered why because the 101st did not take part in Operation Urgent Fury. Also one of my instructors at AALS wore the patch also and he flew in Grenada as well. So my guess would be all of TF 160 wore the patch.

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

The initial elements that formed Task Force 160 came from 158th, 159th and 229th Aviation Battalions, all from the 101st Airborne Division. It was called Task Force 158 first after the 158th Aviation Battalion.

Edited by thatguy96
  • 3 weeks later...

What a coincidence. I'm reading Relentless Strike (history of JSOC and a very interesting read btw). I just read about the opending stages of OEF and it was mentioned that on a few occasions, they would load Littlebirds into Combat Talon C-130's, fly from Masiraj Island to various remote lakebed landing strips in Afghanistan. From there, they would offload the Littlebirds, set up a FARP and fly a couple of night attack missions. They would then load up everything and fly back to Oman. On one mission, the book specifically mentions that due to the long distance to the target, the Littlebirds flew with a single 7 shot rocket pod on one side and a .50 cal (GAU-19?) on the other.

I've just read this section of "Relentless Strike" referring to the AH-6 Little Bird patrols in Afghanistan in October 2001. The pilots had to contend with severe brown-out conditions at some of the FARP sites and the nights were moonless and so lacking in any kind of natural light that the NVGs were almost useless! I think the MELB was only in development at that time so it's likely the Little Birds employed on these missions were AH-6Js. I had a look at the few AH-6J/GAU-19 photos on the web and its seems likely that they flew with full-length armament wings for the GAU-19/7-shot rocket pod combo (with miniguns deleted). It looks like the mounting for the rocket pod and GAU-19 are different to those used for the miniguns. I am not sure the GAU-19 can be fitted to the inner station in any case. They probably had the standard long range fuel tank fitted in the rear cabin too. An LB in this configuration would make for an interesting model. :thumbsup:

LD.

Edit;Spelling.

Edited by Loach Driver

I've just read this section of "Relentless Strike" referring to the AH-6 Little Bird patrols in Afghanistan in October 2001. The pilots had to contend with severe brown-out conditions at some of the FARP sites and the nights were moonless and so lacking in any kind of natural light that the NVGs were almost useless! I think the MELB was only in development at that time so it's likely the Little Birds employed on these missions were AH-6Js. I had a look at the few AH-6J/GAU-19 photos on the web and its seems likely that they flew with full-length armament wings for the GAU-19/7-shot rocket pod combo (with miniguns deleted). It looks like the mounting for the rocket pod and GAU-19 are different to those used for the miniguns. I am not sure the GAU-19 can be fitted to the inner station in any case. They probably had the standard long range fuel tank fitted in the rear cabin too. An LB in this configuration would make for an interesting model. :thumbsup:/>/>

LD.

Edit;Spelling.

I can't speak to GAU-19, BUT A MINI-GUN, if you are in the left seat is pretty awesome, I mean it's just outside the door, and probably why my hearing ain't so good in the left ear. But a fifty, at a 1000 rpm, must really rattle your cage! the UAE has them available for our Border Patrol Aircraft (BPA), in a link-less pod, but who wants to get within 3000 meters of the bad guys with 12.7s and 23.4s! So, check out the Roketsan Cirit, a 70mm missile we equip the BPAs with, direct hits on a moving target (45mph)at 9 km's. Also Google the following to see how the Yemeni Air Force is using our AT-802 aircraft: AT-802, Yemeni, Air Force.... I know it's a fixed wing, but this is the most awesome aircraft today for COIN operations. Go to IOMX.COM for some cool video. Yes, I'm proud because I'm the Tech Pubs Manager!

Best to all, GT

I can't speak to GAU-19, BUT A MINI-GUN, if you are in the left seat is pretty awesome, I mean it's just outside the door, and probably why my hearing ain't so good in the left ear. But a fifty, at a 1000 rpm, must really rattle your cage! the UAE has them available for our Border Patrol Aircraft (BPA), in a link-less pod, but who wants to get within 3000 meters of the bad guys with 12.7s and 23.4s! So, check out the Roketsan Cirit, a 70mm missile we equip the BPAs with, direct hits on a moving target (45mph)at 9 km's. Also Google the following to see how the Yemeni Air Force is using our AT-802 aircraft: AT-802, Yemeni, Air Force.... I know it's a fixed wing, but this is the most awesome aircraft today for COIN operations. Go to IOMX.COM for some cool video. Yes, I'm proud because I'm the Tech Pubs Manager!

Best to all, GT

Interesting about the Cirit, never heard of it before. I assume that they have a dedicated person to designate the target? Seems to be a bit too much for a single pilot. I also have to assume that the 160th is using a similar weapon (APKWS) on it's Littlebirds by now?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/big-obama-donors-stay-on-sidelines-in-2016-race-1447375429

John, go to the link above. Shows our 802s dropping LGBs. The guy in the back is the WSO. He uses the ISR ball to acquire the targets and either drops the bomb, fire the Cirit... each of the tan pods shown during pre-flight, four missiles in each pod, or fires the Hellfire. They also can mount the GAU-19. GT

Hey guys, back to ask a question about Hellfire launchers used in these birds.

I don't think this has been talked about in this thread before, but i recently came across this picture which seems to show a launcher that's different from Lockhead Martin's M310 which, if i'm not mistaken, is the Army's standard 2-missile launcher.

f9c79c796c1b9087531e843b7a8bc4c5.png

I did some quick digging and found this lightweight Hellfire launcher by Mace Aviation.

They indicate that it can be used in the AH-6, but don't specify whether it's used in Boeing's AH-6i or the 160th's "Mike" models.

6d9b847622b259bd4e2daecdb2a3840a.jpg

So my question is whether or not you guys know about this lightweight launher and if it's actually used or if they just tried it out that one time.

I don't expect anyone to know or share this type of information about the modern birds, but i thought some of you might enjoy it.

Thanks!

Nice find on the AH-6M/Hellfire photo. I am not sure if Mace Aviation have launched any Hellfires from their launcher yet. I think MDHI plan to test-fire the Hellfire from the MD530G sometime next year. I'm also not sure if Boeing have test-fired the Hellfire from the AH-6i yet but I'd guess it will be required for the Saudi order. The AH-6G/J have been used operationally with the Hellfire in the past.

LD.

Nice find on the AH-6M/Hellfire photo. I am not sure if Mace Aviation have launched any Hellfires from their launcher yet. I think MDHI plan to test-fire the Hellfire from the MD530G sometime next year. I'm also not sure if Boeing have test-fired the Hellfire from the AH-6i yet but I'd guess it will be required for the Saudi order. The AH-6G/J have been used operationally with the Hellfire in the past.

LD.

Please forgive me putting our Archangel Border Patrol Aircraft on a helo site, bur the topic is Hellfire's, I'll share some photos of our DRL's. The missile shown is a CATM, Captive Training Missile. It replicates the real missile but won't fire. Many of you might not be familiar with how the missile comes crated, and the loading.

IMG_2812_zpsdobwwg2e.jpg

IMG_2798_zpsqjzivcba.jpg

IMG_2803_zpsnfvypvhp.jpg

IMG_2777_zpsud0hknqo.jpg

IMG_2786_zpsqcvmmejf.jpg

IMG_2762_zpsxd5rtelz.jpg

IMG_2757_zps25fs6jkj.jpg

Edited by AH6C-SIP

That is an impressive load-out, Graham. It looks like a machine that might give I.S.I.S. a headache or two. :thumbsup:/>/>/> Is that one of the aircraft destined for the U.A.E.?

Yes, this a dated photo, it's probably already in the fight. I don't know if you saw this youtube video.

IMG_2760_zps8kcxkdbu.jpg

Edited by AH6C-SIP

I'm sorry, but those planes remind me of the old cessna cropdusters from a time ago.

In the age of fast-movers, why would anybody employ prop-drivens in a war where manpads are used effectively.

Especially against a brutal force like ISIS!

Tim

I'm sorry, but those planes remind me of the old cessna cropdusters from a time ago.

In the age of fast-movers, why would anybody employ prop-drivens in a war where manpads are used effectively.

Especially against a brutal force like ISIS!

Tim

Tim,

First off, not everyone can afford a multimillion dollar jet or the maintenance they require. Second, these are not your grandaddy's crop dusters, they are much updated machines! It's the same reason many South American countries still fly the Huey, because they work! We really don't need Apaches to smoke ISIS either. You could fly a fleet of F model cobras for the price of a few Apaches and the 20mm would kill them just as dead. We just feel the need to have the most expensive toys on the block here in the US.

Ray

I wholly understand Ray. Its just weird seeing props in combat in the 21st century.

As a pilot, I would feel more comfortable knowing speed is my best friend when I'm being tracked by an ISIS manpad.

Tim

Tim,

How about flying in a helo then? They are much slower than many fixed wing prop aircraft and they are flown into combat everyday.

Ray

I have a friend who owns a company that provides armed OV-1 Mohawks under contract that are used in the interdiction capacity. None have have been lost to ground/missile fire. I take that as an indicator that propeller driven aircraft still have a useful role to play in a conflict or adversary situation.

Chris M

Being an ex-helo guy, I know that helos are easy targets to shoot down, no matter the countermeasures on board. I would still fly the mission no matter what, but I'm not gonna lie-- I would be scared crazy knowing that if we were shot down, and happen to survive the crash, what they do to prisoners.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Now back to regular little bird programming-💻

Tim

Also Google the following to see how the Yemeni Air Force is using our AT-802 aircraft: AT-802, Yemeni, Air Force.... I know it's a fixed wing, but this is the most awesome aircraft today for COIN operations. Go to IOMX.COM for some cool video. Yes, I'm proud because I'm the Tech Pubs Manager!

Best to all, GT

I got to see (& hear) the AT-802 in action in Egypt last year. Never thought laser-guided 250 pound bombs would be used as a "curfew enforcement" tool.

Folks,

Another site, Foxtrot Alpha, has posted a thread concerning a Littlebird landing on a "tiny concrete barrier." It's the first time I have seen this (maybe you have already!)

I found it interesting because-

1. Great piece of flying

2. Crew wearing SPH helmet rather than HGU-55 - is this common, or an indication of the age of the footage?

3. Just how much duct tape and you wrap around a fast rope!!!

4. One of the operators is British, wearing desert DPM - again, this may be an indication of it being old footage!

All the best,

Michael.

Michael, thanks for sharing the info on the Foxtrot Alpha Little Bird article. It is indeed a nice piece of flying but, and I don't wish to downplay that bit of skill, this is a bread-and butter manoeuvre for the Night Stalkers. In fact, I'd say most good helicopter pilots should be able to perch their machine on that concrete barrier and hold it there.

The difference between any non-160th pilots on this forum doing a neat one- or two-skid landing on a barrier and a NS pilot doing a 160th tactical rooftop insertion is that the 160th don't tool around getting settled into a nice, steady, hover before touching the skids down in their own time, the 160th arrive at the (potentially hot) rooftop, flare and get the skids in contact asap so the "customer" can haul @ss and get their job done. It is dangerous, requires lots of skill and finesse, but is probably a hell of a lot of fun when they raise the collective, rise and nose-over hard to clear the area. :thumbsup:

LD.

Edited by Loach Driver

Folks,

Another site, Foxtrot Alpha, has posted a thread concerning a Littlebird landing on a "tiny concrete barrier." It's the first time I have seen this (maybe you have already!)

I found it interesting because-

1. Great piece of flying

2. Crew wearing SPH helmet rather than HGU-55 - is this common, or an indication of the age of the footage?

3. Just how much duct tape and you wrap around a fast rope!!!

4. One of the operators is British, wearing desert DPM - again, this may be an indication of it being old footage!

All the best,

Michael.

Didn't notice the SPH helmet, very interesting. I believe that is a late model MH-6 so I don't think it's an old video. HGU-55's have been standard issue for a few decades now.

No idea on the camo, someone speculated that they were US guys playing OPFOR.

I did note that the guys on the planks were securing themselves with carabiners. Not sure where they are tied off to in the helo but that finally answers my question about how these guys stayed secured.