AH-6C, MH-6 photos from AH6C-SIP-PICS ARE BACK!

Here is a photo of Dillon Aero's MD530FF in an interesting configuration. Could this be a possible configuration for the AH-6M? It gives a slight increase to the number of rockets that can be carried.

14278968_1126113274090783_442689592_n_zp

I don't know the date of this photo or the copyright owner of the image. Apologies. The image was found during a google search.

LD.

10 hours ago, Loach Driver said:

Here is a photo of Dillon Aero's MD530FF in an interesting configuration. Could this be a possible configuration for the AH-6M? It gives a slight increase to the number of rockets that can be carried.

14278968_1126113274090783_442689592_n_zp

I don't know the date of this photo or the copyright owner of the image. Apologies. The image was found during a google search.

LD.

That's actually a decrease from the 19-shot pod that can be carried.  The rocket pod in the photo is the newer LWL12.

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

9 hours ago, FM-Whip said:

That's actually a decrease from the 19-shot pod that can be carried.  The rocket pod in the photo is the newer LWL12.

I didn't think of it like that. I was looking at it more from the point of view of an increase in comparison with the 7-shot rocket pod. I thought that rocket pod was a 19-shot pod that had been cut down in somebody's workshop! Interesting that it is an actual design. Thanks for identifying the pod, John.

LD.

6 hours ago, Loach Driver said:

I didn't think of it like that. I was looking at it more from the point of view of an increase in comparison with the 7-shot rocket pod. I thought that rocket pod was a 19-shot pod that had been cut down in somebody's workshop! Interesting that it is an actual design. Thanks for identifying the pod, John.

LD.

That was my initial thought too.  

22 hours ago, FM-Whip said:

Is this pod operational or just some sort of trials rig?

Edited by 11bee
22 hours ago, FM-Whip said:

Duplicate post

Edited by 11bee
20 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

If I ever get the approval for the photos for the Night Stalker book I had this as one of the 'surprises' in the book.

Floyd

Sorry for posting up that pic, as it now detracts a little from your book. 

LD.

Both Flight Concepts and AATD at Eustis cut the 19 shot pods down.  A former NCO of mine worked at AATD and told me about them back in 2009.  19 shot sits to low...won't upload/download to a 130.   Both Dillon and Fulcrum Concepts created the pods.  http://fulcrumconceptsllc.com/airworthiness/

11B:  It's not a model, it's real world.  

BTW, our Owner and Retired CW5 (160th) has purchased a 530 for delivery next month.  So if you need any photo's for a build please ask and I'll see what I can do.

Here is a page from our website:  http://www.iomax.net/archangel/avionics/

Check out the 360 of the cockpit.

GT

Edited by AH6C-SIP
forgot something
2 hours ago, AH6C-SIP said:

BTW, our Owner and Retired CW5 (160th) has purchased a 530 for delivery next month.  So if you need any photo's for a build please ask and I'll see what I can do.

GT

Does this mean you'll be getting back in the air in that 530F? Will it be a company test ship or just for the owner's private use? Bet you'd like to get back on the range and spin up some M134s again! :chain-gun:

LD. 

6 hours ago, Loach Driver said:

Sorry for posting up that pic, as it now detracts a little from your book. 

LD.

Nope no problem.  If you have anything else laying around I'd be interested in seeing what we can include.  There are plenty of other 'neat' things to include that won't detract at all.  Besides not everyone knows about this page or site.  It will still wow them.

Floyd

5 hours ago, AH6C-SIP said:

Both Flight Concepts and AATD at Eustis cut the 19 shot pods down.  A former NCO of mine worked at AATD and told me about them back in 2009.  19 shot sits to low...won't upload/download to a 130.   Both Dillon and Fulcrum Concepts created the pods.  http://fulcrumconceptsllc.com/airworthiness/

11B:  It's not a model, it's real world.  

Here is a page from our website:  http://www.iomax.net/archangel/avionics/

Check out the 360 of the cockpit.

GT

Arnold also:

http://www.arnolddefense.com/lwl-12-a-lightweight-rocket-launcher/

John Hairell

(tpn18@yahoo.com)

23 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Nope no problem.  If you have anything else laying around I'd be interested in seeing what we can include.  There are plenty of other 'neat' things to include that won't detract at all.  Besides not everyone knows about this page or site.  It will still wow them.

Floyd

Floyd - if it helps the cause, please feel free to use the AH-6C cockpit shot I had in my First Littlebird build from a few years back.  I think it's the only detailed cockpit shot of an AH-6C out there. Technically, it's not mine anyway, I just submitted the FOIA request and Special Operations Command did the rest.  Hope it's useful.    

Hey GT - I seem to recall that you provided info on most of the non-standard fittings on the IP but do you happen to know what the instrument is mounted above the APR-69 RHAW display on the glareshield?  Not sure if you ever ID'd that one. 

John

AH-6Cinterior-2.jpg

Edited by 11bee

Apologies for the slight thread drift but it appears the LWL12 rocket pod is designed with the Little Bird in mind so I thought this might be of interest here.

After seeing that 12-shot rocket pod in the photo of Dillonaero's MD530FF, I thought that it might be possible to convert an existing 1/72 19-shot pod into an LWL12. I am assuming that the LWL12 was adapted primarily for the H-6/530 but is offered for use on other platforms. I had a Special Hobby AH-1S IDF kit handy and I don't plan on building it with the 19-shot pods. 

P1010980_zps8lwcsxrl.jpg

I started off with parts 27,28 and 23. I glued the front and rear parts to the upper half of the rocket pod. I had cut off the lower section of the rocket pod front and rear so that only 12 tubes were visible. Then I blanked off the underside with some 0.5mm plastic card. 

P1010973_zpszrvoqypc.jpg

Here it is, put togther before clean-up.

P1010977_zpsdt3lgb7f.jpg

Bottom of pod blanked-off with plastic card.

P1010985_zpso0ulivlf.jpg

The underside tidied up. I used tiny strips of plastic card to fill the gaps between the plastic card and the rear corner edges of the rocket pod front and rear. 

P1010982_zpsg9iaiwc4.jpg

Here is the pod from the side after cleaning up the plastic card join. I haven't sanded down the join between the front and rear parts of the pod. I am not sure if this is apparent or not on the real thing so I have left it for now. If I discover that there is no join line or panel line in this area, I will sand it smooth. I am presuming the length of the pod as it comes in the kit is accurate for an LWL12.

P1010984_zpssd0dlmae.jpg

Front shot. Overall, it looks like an LWL12. I apply the 90% rule to anything scratch-built in 1/72. If it is 90% accurate, it is alright. It is usually hard to find all the flaws and inaccuracies in this scale on small items unless you use a magnifying visor. I am happy enough with it.

Now I just need two things, a 1/72 Little Bird or 530FF to hang this pod from and for someone to make a GAU-19 in 1/72 scale!

LD.

Edited by Loach Driver

John, you asked a couple of slides back:   Hey GT - I seem to recall that you provided info on most of the non-standard fittings on the IP but do you happen to know what the instrument is mounted above the APR-69 RHAW display on the glareshield?  Not sure if you ever ID'd that one. 

Answer:  I believe that some 35 years ago we had APR-39's, and I think that above that display is the Mag Compass.  

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to an interview with the guys at Dillon Aero that reveals the recent history of the minigun and how the 160th almost had to change to another gun in the 1990's.

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/the-evolution-of-the-m134d-minigun/

There is a photo of the 160th testing the M2 machine guns that also flew on the Kiowa Warrior. I guess they were really looking for an alternative to the minigun. I'm sure they are pretty happy Dillon came along and revitalised the M134.

LD. 

Sorry to steal the thread, but is also 160th SOAR related.

I am looking into any info on MH-47Ds in Gulf war. One info I have from THIS SITE states that there were MH-47Es. That does not correspond with the serial numbers, starting just after Gulf war.

Also, there is only one pic of MH-47D carrying underslung Mi-24 from Chad (ex-Lybian airframe).

So, any help is really appreciated.

Also, looking for serial numbers for the newly build MH-47Gs, not rebuilds ....

Thanks

Jakub

P.S. In the enclosed table you can find the story of SpecOps H-47s, some of them has more lives than cats LOL !!

spec_ops_mh-47.xls

Wow GT! Your boss purchased possibly the finest 530FF on the planet right now. If I recall the sales website I saw it on a few weeks ago, it has a really modern and complete avionics fit and it really is a dream machine.You'll enjoy flying that 530 for sure!

LD.

• 2 months later...

Don't know if these pics have been posted already, but I come across these tonight over on smugmug. Some good pics of a MH-6M I guess. Here's the link:

https://photo01aviation.smugmug.com/Military/23649-14Nov14/

Here's the 2nd page:

https://photo01aviation.smugmug.com/Military/25355-14Nov14/

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
On 4/28/2017 at 8:33 PM, hawkwrench said:

Don't know if these pics have been posted already, but I come across these tonight over on smugmug. Some good pics of a MH-6M I guess. Here's the link:

https://photo01aviation.smugmug.com/Military/23649-14Nov14/

Here's the 2nd page:

https://photo01aviation.smugmug.com/Military/25355-14Nov14/

Tim

Nice pics Tim, thank you for the links.   I just noticed that both these helos have that flat video display installed, folded up against the IP.   I always thought that display was only used for the FLIR (which isn't present on those two helos).  I wonder if those displays also provide other data (maybe something like the UAV "ROVER" video feeds or a moving map function)?    Lastly, check out the rectangular sheet metal covers on the aft upper fuselage of 355.  Never realized how pronounced they are, almost look more like armor plating.   Any idea if they are standard access panels, present on all H-6's or these are unique to SOAR helos?  I haven't been able to find any pictures of civilian versions with these plates present but there are so many different types out there, I might be looking at earlier variants.