Philadelphia Freedom A-10A

Hey all -

I finally finished up the A-10 monster that somehow made it, intact, after over 3,000 miles of travel! This is the first kit where I truly learned how to do some seam filling (I'm still not entirely good at it, but it's coming along). I think that that next step will be to perfect my masking so as not to create small build ups of paint at the border of the tape.

I'd love some comments. And yes, I do know that I got some random spray onto the canopy, which was a very unhappy surprise when taking the masks off.

006-1.jpg

008-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

And here is the one where the decal somehow ripped between the Gloss Coat and the Dull Coat.

003.jpg

I think you're being too hard on yourself. Overall the model looks pretty good. You've pointed out areas that need improvement so go from there and strive to do better on the next one. Main thing is keep building and have fun.

highest regards,

Jerry

I have to agree with Jerry, overall your build looks good.

I would suggest the additon of a panel wash to highlight them, and also the addtion of a nice weapon load would bring your A-10 to life.

As Jerry pointed out keep building and enjoy it, otherwise its more like work, and we all know how much we enjoy work.

:cheers: Ted

Cheers!

I actually couldn't decide on a load out, hence the naked Hog I've got! If you have suggestions, I'm all ears!

- Ian

I have to agree with Jerry, overall your build looks good.

I would suggest the additon of a panel wash to highlight them, and also the addtion of a nice weapon load would bring your A-10 to life.

As Jerry pointed out keep building and enjoy it, otherwise its more like work, and we all know how much we enjoy work.

:rolleyes: Ted

Hi

Looks good to me. It's clear that you've airbrushed the kit - that's one of the techniques I've been trying to adapt to having returned to modelling a couple of years ago after a long break. Persistence with the airbrush does pay off but it's that balance between getting the pressure, paint consistency, etc right and then being patient. Thin coats, letting dry inbetween coats. Underspraying panel lines with a darker colour is way of bringing depth to the paint job. I've found that there are some great articles around on the net, not least here on the ARC and, a real inspiration to me, Gary Wickham's scalespot.com site. Gary's site gives a good guide to panel washing and many other things.

I've recently finished my Hobby Boss 'hog build (recently displayed in this section). Choosing the European 1 camo option was a real challenge for a relative newcomer to the airbrush.

Keep up the good work though. And feel free to build another 'hog sometime - I love 'em!

All the best

Ian

Ian -

Your 'hog looks great, fyi. As soon as I saw that one posted, I felt a sense of dread posting my own pic!

I really appreciate the encouragement on the airbrush. That is definitely one of the hardest things to do, and it is really hard to remain positive with it! I hope that next time I'll be able to build a 'hog that even approaches yours!

- Ian

Hi

Looks good to me. It's clear that you've airbrushed the kit - that's one of the techniques I've been trying to adapt to having returned to modelling a couple of years ago after a long break. Persistence with the airbrush does pay off but it's that balance between getting the pressure, paint consistency, etc right and then being patient. Thin coats, letting dry inbetween coats. Underspraying panel lines with a darker colour is way of bringing depth to the paint job. I've found that there are some great articles around on the net, not least here on the ARC and, a real inspiration to me, Gary Wickham's scalespot.com site. Gary's site gives a good guide to panel washing and many other things.

I've recently finished my Hobby Boss 'hog build (recently displayed in this section). Choosing the European 1 camo option was a real challenge for a relative newcomer to the airbrush.

Keep up the good work though. And feel free to build another 'hog sometime - I love 'em!

All the best

Ian

Ian -

Your 'hog looks great, fyi. As soon as I saw that one posted, I felt a sense of dread posting my own pic!

I really appreciate the encouragement on the airbrush. That is definitely one of the hardest things to do, and it is really hard to remain positive with it! I hope that next time I'll be able to build a 'hog that even approaches yours!

- Ian

I don't think you needed to dread posting, Ian. The great thing about ARC is that modellers at all stages seem to be welcomed and encouraged. We learn from doing and from seeing what others do. When I look at how far I've come in the last two years - by taking advice from other modellers through the internet and picking up ways of doing things and trying them myself - it's heartening. Then, when I look at some of the high quality builds out there, it inspires me to do better still. It's the "glass half full" approach we need to hang on to I suppose!

Again, you hog was a nice build. In terms of putting the pieces together, filling, applying decals - I couldn't criticise. More practice with the airbrush and then tips for finishing off with panel lines, matt coat, perhaps a base to photograph your model on, will take you to a new level.

Airbrushing - do you use enamels or acrylics. I'm not very patient when it comes to painting so I use acrylics as they dry quickly and you can recoat without much of a wait inbetween. I like that! Have a search for the Testors Workshop Videos on the internet (I think you can get them on You Tube) They take you through some good exercises on airbrushing and lots of other modelling techniques.

I'll keep an eye out for future postings of your completed builds. If you want to contact another "modeller learning the trade", feel free to e-mail me .... ian.coop@virgin.net

All the best!

Ian