Updated BUFF - the B-52J??

How about four F117-PW-100s in place of the eight TF33s?? She'd be good for another 50 years! Just don't drop that wing too low on a crosswind landing (ouch!).

:)

J

B-52J.jpg

Edited by Jennings

That is way too cool, Jennings!

Someone at Boeing Wichita made a really nice 1/72nd model of the PW2040-powered B-52 proposal from the sow's-ear AMT H kit. Saw it when I was back there for the B-52 50th anniversary. Looked a lot like your illustration!

Or you could just strengthen the wing a tad and mount the engines over top of the wing Antonov An-72 style.

Give her big blown flaps and you've got a STOL BUFF :(

So... you mean she takes off in only a mile and a half?

Jennings,

Great drawing, can you do one of the EB-52 Mega Fortress from the Dale Brown series? Pointy nose (like the Concorde), Big "V" tail, straight (0 deg anhedral) rigid unflexed wings, air mine launcher out the back, Amraam missiles under the wings and all black!

That's cool Jennings! How about some of those turboprops for the A400M?

Plus ça change, plus c'est la meme chose, non?? Some of the first design studies that led to the B-52 were turboprops :P In Russia they call it the Tu-95..

J

has the USAF actually looked into this?

Many times over the past few decades the USAF has looked at similar re-engining programs. I don't know if they've ever gotten past the artist's conception stage... :thumbsup:

Edited by DonSS3
That is great Jennings! May not have to worry about scraping on those crosswind landings if you made the engines like a 737 :

800px-Boeing_737-400_Engine.JPG

But just think of table full of "what if" models you could do from that series alone :whistle:

Yeah, have a heart :thumbsup:

Plus ça change, plus c'est la meme chose, non?? Some of the first design studies that led to the B-52 were turboprops :thumbsup: In Russia they call it the Tu-95..

J

YAY the First Rush Quote of the day!!!! Well sort of

Circumstances

I also think the engines above the wing would be a killer idea.

I never thought the EB-52 was a bad idea for fiction...

William G

How about four F117-PW-100s in place of the eight TF33s?? She'd be good for another 50 years! Just don't drop that wing too low on a crosswind landing (ouch!).

It should be a hack of a lot quieter than the older TF-33s

Jim