Roden OV-1D build commences

This has been sitting on the shelf for a while. I have the Eduard detailing set for the exterior but will detail the cockpit myself. Wish me luck!

Here are the first few stages. Cockpit has been started with some detailing and painting/weathering to be completed.

3789876102_72c1894697.jpg

3789851708_f5be8f03f8.jpg

3789852540_05060824d4.jpg

Edited by Ian Cooper
This has been sitting on the shelf for a while. I have the Eduard detailing set for the exterior but will detail the cockpit myself. Wish me luck!

Here are the first few stages. Cockpit has been started with some detailing and painting/weathering to be completed.

The OV-1D kit

The cosy cockpit

More cockpit work

Ian,

Noticed your build here. I have the Mohawk and it is on my to do list. I just went to Oshkosh and they had one on display and flying. I took some pictures of the cockpit and the outside for my references. The one I saw was a pretty weathered bird. If you are interested, I can send you pictures or try and post them here.

Chuck B.

OK - here's a quick update. Looking at more reference material, plans on the cockpit have changed slightly. The seats are being reworked with a few detail additions and changes in colour, seat padding in my reference shots being a pale blue (which looks nicer than the green in the first shots). I've also now added some wiring and have had a bash at scratch building some oxygen hoses (which are prominent in all OV-1 cockpit shots) using a technique picked up from Gary Wickham's F-4G build - see for yourself at www.scalespot.com

Mohawk Build 004

Mohawk Build 005

Mohawk Build 006

Lots of work still to fo before this cockpit can be glued to the fuselage!

Ian

OK - here's a quick update. Looking at more reference material, plans on the cockpit have changed slightly. The seats are being reworked with a few detail additions and changes in colour, seat padding in my reference shots being a pale blue (which looks nicer than the green in the first shots). I've also now added some wiring and have had a bash at scratch building some oxygen hoses (which are prominent in all OV-1 cockpit shots) using a technique picked up from Gary Wickham's F-4G build - see for yourself at www.scalespot.com

Mohawk Build 004

Mohawk Build 005

Mohawk Build 006

Lots of work still to fo before this cockpit can be glued to the fuselage!

Ian

Ian,

Looking good. I like the revised cockpit. More like the photos I just sent you. Keep up the good work.

Chuck B.

UPDATE 8th August 2009

A little more work has gone into detailing the cockpit, including the instrument panels this time. Trying to add a little interest, I've put in some additional boxes on top the instrument panel and have thrown in some kind of manual/file (which just needs to have some pages and a title added before it's attached). Everything is such a tight fit in this kit's cockpit!

3802270036_b449b4f1a5.jpg

3802270800_b01c722782.jpg

3801455257_8798341f71.jpg

3802272504_1ccaf83620.jpg

Any comments welcome!

All the best

Ian

Edited by Ian Cooper

UPDATE 11th August 2009

The cockpit detailing has been completed as far as it can be at this stage and the fuselage sides joined together. The little green file just needs it's paint touched up and it'll be finished. I'll need to find a couple of nice standing pilot figures to go with this when it's finished.

3812134185_4e395b74d2.jpg

3812948448_a33d0c1b1a.jpg

3812135581_e6e1c888fe.jpg

I've just realised, while typing this, that I've forgotten to add ballast to the nose. Oh dear (he said politely)! I'll need to push little bits of blue tac through the wing join holes and hope that'll do the job. I'll put some in the nacelles too (as they're forward of the main gear) and pray that does the job.

More detailing on the cockpit will need to be done when the canopy and doors are fitted.

I've started working on the wings. Although Mohawks seeem to have a tendency to park with control surfaces all lines up neatly, I wanted to add a little bit of interest and have decided to separate the ailerons and have these resting at a slight angle. The ailerons have been cut off and some packing done to fill the resulting gaps. Holes have been left for some scratchbuilt hinges to go in.

3812132665_32723f91b6.jpg

3812946700_18696ea7b7.jpg

The other wing - yet to be 'cut up' ....

3812133593_2f6b9ca3a0.jpg

Can anybody help me here ... my reference drawing says that at the end of the aileron/wingtip is the "aileron mass balance". I think that means part of the wingtip is part of the aileron. Does anyone have any pictures of a Mohawk's control surfaces that I can use for reference, please?

I've also started on the Eduard detailing parts for the engines. I'm dreading painting the metal exhausts - I'm new to Alclad and not very confident with it yet!

3812136321_77665a22de.jpg

So - that's it for now. Off to do a little more ....

Ian

PS - Thanks to Guy (geedubelyer) for the lesson in posting images and to Chuck (cbreeze) for the great cockpit reference photos!!

Hi Ian, you've certainly added alot to the cockpit.

Not a subject that's often seen here so this will be fascinating.

Neat work so far, thanks for sharing.

:bandhead2:

p.s,.....you can paste your images straight into the post for easier viewing if you wish.

I took the liberty of adding this one of MohawkBuild 007 above. I hope you don't mind?

3802270036_b449b4f1a5.jpg

Thanks Guy. I'll sort the images out now I know how

Hi Ian,

You're welcome, glad to help. Now even more folk will see your great work. :salute:

Regarding the nose weight........use as much as you humanly can! :unsure:

This is a real tail-sitter, even with weight in the nose. If you can get hold of any lead or fishing shot etc, that would certainly help. Good luck.

cheers,

:cheers:

UPDATE 17th August 2009

Haven't done as much as hoped over the last few days. My son bought some 1/35 Modern US Infantry and wanted me to build and paint them for him. Also, his friend asked me to finish off a 1/72 Centurion tank. So there have been a few distractions from the Mohawk.

I've been sanding seams on the fuselage and rescribing panel lines and preparing the engine exhaust for Alclad.

These photos show part of the upper forward fuselage having been sanded and primed. A little more work is being done on this area and it wasn't quite free of bumps. You can see, though, the difference between the sanded and primed surface forward of the Tamiya tape and the part aft of the tape.

Engine exhausts have been bent a little to check how they fit when 'coiled'. Then they've been unwound for painting. I'm hoping that the Alclad can be applied with the exhausts unwound and, when dry, bent to the desired shape without cracking the paint. We'll see. Could be OK, could be a disaster!

Ian

3829689422_603bc0e28b.jpg

3829689206_42098847e6.jpg

3828890313_ab3c523410.jpg

3828890539_5510c11c2f.jpg

Oh, tricky that..... I think it might depend on what color you´ll use since different Alclad II colors have different properties..... if you´re shooting jet exhaust or pale burnt metal I think you´ll get away with it but if you´d use white aluminum it would crack.

Good luck! :beer4:

Oh, tricky that..... I think it might depend on what color you´ll use since different Alclad II colors have different properties..... if you´re shooting jet exhaust or pale burnt metal I think you´ll get away with it but if you´d use white aluminum it would crack.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Thanks for that Aigore. It'll be Pale Burnt Metal I'll use for that so I'm a little more hopeful than I was before!

Ian

UPDATE 17th August 2009

Managed to get the wings attached to the fuselage today and the tailplane parts are assembled ready to fit. It's starting to take on that Mohawk shape a little now. ;)

Fuel tanks are getting a little attention ... the molded detail isn't good on the tanks especially the raised bands that go round the tanks. I've sanded everything flat (in the photo below one tank is sanded and one retains its original features) and will scratchbuild new bands. I've also got some detailing parts for the tanks in the Eduard set.

That's it for now. I hope the build is of interest to a few of you out there!

Ian

3831697322_250c7fe84e.jpg

3830902325_c72260211e.jpg

3831698558_fc48cbe71b.jpg

Edited by Ian Cooper
Can anybody help me here ... my reference drawing says that at the end of the aileron/wingtip is the "aileron mass balance". I think that means part of the wingtip is part of the aileron. Does anyone have any pictures of a Mohawk's control surfaces that I can use for reference, please?

Ian,

found this one on PrimePortal

Hans

Ian,

found this one on PrimePortal

Hans

You are the man, Hans!!!! This is enough evidence for me to model my OV-1 with the ailerons slightly raised. Thanks for taking the time to look this up and post it.

All the very best

Ian

UPDATE 20th August 2009

Slowly but surely ....

I managed to stuff plenty of bluetac into the wing join holes and engine nacelles having glued the fuselage together without noseweight. I'm pretty sure I've added enough to avoid this Mohawk becoming a taildragger!

Ailerons and wingtips have been glued in place and sanded. Wings were then glued to the fuselage and using just a little filler have been sanded to a good fit. Tailplanes have been glued along with a couple of air intakes on the fuselage.

3839689770_f2d1a77253.jpg

3838900553_915c2f3a45.jpg

Some detailing work has been carried out on the fuel tanks ....

3838900865_2fc0e7d895.jpg

Some detailing work on the pod too ....

3838901097_5ea9616990.jpg

And I've Alcladed the engine exhaust parts ....

3839690866_8befa8439f.jpg

3838901703_1dd536a9dc.jpg

Progress seems slow but then I'm only getting to spend a couple of hours on this in the evenings - just have to be grateful for that!

Ian

UPDATE 22nd August 2009

I've added the Eduard detailing on the airbrake compartments, drilled out some holes where new (Eduard) grilles will be used and have started probably the most difficult part of this fit - attaching the windshield and canopy roof. Filling and sanding on the front canopy is underway. The port and starboard tail fins have also been glued in place.

Ian

3846553564_a940d005a1.jpg

3846553814_36d731e2be.jpg

3846553998_5724cef857.jpg

3846554232_66064ebec6.jpg

3845764387_1ca599789b.jpg

For me, the Mohawk sits firmly in a group of aircraft including the Bronco and Warthog. No-one could accuse them of being pretty but they are all very distinctive. Function over form I think......lovely!

With the addition of the vertical tails and canopy your Mohawk is really shaping up now Ian. Great stuff, looking forward to more soon. ;)

;)

UPDATE 26th August 2009

Not much progress in the past few days.

The nose cone has been added (with a little more Blue Tac inside to weight the nose), the ADF loop aerial has been added along the spine of the fuselage using plastic sheet. With the kit, the ADF aerial is depicted with just a round panel line. On the real thing, the aerial stands proud and is more a rounded square shape. Easy enough to do. A few PE parts have also been added to the fuselage and underwings.

Still loads more to do before I can start painting this!

Cheers

Ian

3860412308_57f7943b26.jpg

3859628155_6c7bf02839.jpg

3860413110_f5e77a2614.jpg

3860413472_40a585835d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fellow modelers. Advice needed please!

I'm getting close to the stage of this build now when I need to think about painting the airframe. I'm keen to replicate the worn look displayed on 'mature' OV-10s. ARC member CBREEZE sent my some images of the OV-10 recently on display at Oshkosh and this shows distinctive staining to the lower fuselage as a result of oil leakage (apparently).

Any ideas on how best to replicate this effect. Dark pre-shading? Mask and paint like a second camoflage colour? I don't want to try this and mess up the whole build so I want to give it thought in advance. Any ideas gratefully received!

Here are the images ....

3907411128_c14174c5bd.jpg

3907410042_abf9562fe5.jpg

Thanks in advance

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm planning to replicate that same kind of weathering on a MiG-25, oil leaks and all. I couldbe wrong, but i guess that stains like those could be due at least in some part to the matt finish of the aircraft, which allows them to spread to a much wider area compared to a gloss finish. If that's the case, I believe that a very thin oil wash applied extremely carefully over an acrylic matt coat might do the trick. Of course it would be very tough to remove in case something goes wrong, unless you can cover up the "damage" by spraying some base colour over it. Another option could be using pastels or pigments, but I can't say I have a lot of experience with any of those.

Hi Ian,

I'm planning to replicate that same kind of weathering on a MiG-25, oil leaks and all. I couldbe wrong, but i guess that stains like those could be due at least in some part to the matt finish of the aircraft, which allows them to spread to a much wider area compared to a gloss finish. If that's the case, I believe that a very thin oil wash applied extremely carefully over an acrylic matt coat might do the trick. Of course it would be very tough to remove in case something goes wrong, unless you can cover up the "damage" by spraying some base colour over it. Another option could be using pastels or pigments, but I can't say I have a lot of experience with any of those.

Thanks for that idea. Simulating oil stains by using thin oil wash might be the trick. I guess I'll need to have some trial runs on an old kit to see what happens, build up some confidence and then go for it. If it does work ... maybe I can think about starting something else that's sitting on the shelf!!!!

Cheers

Ian