Hi Guys,

I've been chomping at the bit with this one now for months so please excuse the eagerness. Opened the box to a multitude of sprues (14 all up) Including a brass fret and a piece of string which will go in the rubbish basket.

tiger1.jpg

The detail is as per Dragons usual high quality. However there is some flash and the detail isn't quite up to their modern standasrds but very good anyway.

SH100010.jpg

SH100009.jpg

First view of the instruction sheet shows it to be in the wonderfull photo format that Dragon often use. This makes fitting quite easy without having to decipher a bunch of squiggley lines as sometimes happens with smaller intricate parts.

SH100014.jpg

And there are 2 versions depicted. I don't think I'll do either of these as I have a particular vehicle in mind but that will be decided tomorrow.

GOODLUCK ALL

Geoff

Well I've thought about it and I am in fact going to option A which is Schwere Panzer abteilung 503 in the Adennes in 1944. I am going to do a reasonably well used vehicle even though we know that historically 503 as attached to the 12 SS Panzer Division at the time had recently been re-fitted. So the vehicles would be in pretty good nick - but there would still be some degree of wear. Starting with the side fenders I will be depicting some missing and some damaged, so to start with we need to seperate the fenders at certain points....

SH100031.jpg

If some fenders are missing, the edges of the remaining ones will be visible so we will need to thin them out a bit.

SH100032.jpg

I do this by cutting away excess material on the edge and then thinning down carefully.

SH100035.jpg

SH100024.jpg

The result speaks for itself, till next time..... :D

Geoff

I have completed the fenders

SH100022.jpg

and the drive sprockets

SH100037.jpg

And it is time to start with the zimmerit. I do the turret first using Tamiya putty and the Tamiya tool. The pattern is the typical late pattern which was fairly rough on the King Tiger.

SH100016.jpg

And even though they generally never put zimmerit on the fenders, I have seen them often enough so this one will have on the fenders too (some anyway)

SH100039.jpg

Sorry about the irritating shadows guys i'll try and not get them in future shots.

Geoff

Yea and I bought the Atak resin Zim for mine, just a word of warning to you all that want to use the Atack product. the fit is terrible and you will need to make a plan, oh and BTW Atak don't reply at all to mails so dont waste your time trying to complain :P

And this is the turret complete with the barrel support.

SH100030.jpg

And the back plate.....

SH100015.jpg

Added some basic zimmerit to the lower hull and added the swingarms, drive sprocket and idler..

SH100028.jpg

and the upper hull is complete..

SH100029.jpg

And this is just a shot of all the pieces that required zimmerit...

SH100020.jpg

I promise the next pics WILL NOT HAVE SHADOWS

Geoff

Excuse my ignorance, but what the heck is zimmerit and what does it do?

Zimmermit is a coating that would prevent magnetic mines from being stuck to the side of the tank. It was in a paste form and was trowelled on at the factory or in the field.

You`re doing a great job on the coating, geoff. Tried doing it once or twice myself. Never tried it again. Man, that was an expensive try.

Don

Magic work!

I cheated and purchased my Tiger's with Zimmerit on them :woot.gif:

I would hate to attempt 1:72 zimm

:rofl:

MikeJ

Me too Mike,

great work what do you think of those colour instructions I hated em myself.

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

Geoff I am not sure you need the Zimmerett underneath? I don't think you do check your references. And don't leave those gaps on the back plate! Looking great though. Keep it coming.

Edited by jimz66