P-51D Mustang Question

Hello all,

I'm building a P-51D, 364th squadron, serial 44-72164, C5-R "Shilleilagh" of J. Storch.

Question 1 : would it have metal or fabric elevators, I'm reading all P-51D's after february 45 had metals. C5-R was a late Mustang, but late enough to have metals? I think 364FS got their P-51D's around august-october 44?

Question 2 : I found a drawing of the aircraft, having a APS-13 tail warning radar, is this correct? What factor determined which P-51D got that radar?

Question 3 : any more pictures that google does not offer are welcome! (I only find a bare metal Shilleilagh, but maybe there were invasion stripes at some point...)

many thanks

I have no time to look for photos but the answer to both 1 and 2 is yes.

It had metallic elevators and the APS-13 was installed at the factory starting with 44-72127.

However you should look at photos in order to check for the APS-13, getting it at the factory doesn't mean it always stayed there in the field.

Some earlier aircrafts were also retrofitted with them (just like the elevators).

Can't help directly, but here's a little bit of inspiration for you - Leiston airfield (Yoxford is a nearby town, but not the name of the airfield) as it was a couple of years ago. It's a holiday caravan (trailer) park. No I wasn't staying there, this was a "drive-by".

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

Hope this is of interest.

Hello all,

I'm building a P-51D, 364th squadron, serial 44-72164, C5-R "Shilleilagh" of J. Storch.

Question 1 : would it have metal or fabric elevators, I'm reading all P-51D's after february 45 had metals. C5-R was a late Mustang, but late enough to have metals? I think 364FS got their P-51D's around august-october 44?

Question 2 : I found a drawing of the aircraft, having a APS-13 tail warning radar, is this correct? What factor determined which P-51D got that radar?

Question 3 : any more pictures that google does not offer are welcome! (I only find a bare metal Shilleilagh, but maybe there were invasion stripes at some point...)

many thanks

A good site for you to look things up:

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/

http://www.cebudanderson.com/

I'll try to give you some input on what I can advise you on:

APS-13 Tail warning radar: Just like today, self defense equipment is constantly beeing developed and installed even in early models of a perticular fighter. In the case of the APS-13, it was installed late in the war in most fighers, but like already said, not all. Late model P-51D/K's came with it from the factory, but pictures exist showing it retrofited to P-51B/C's aswell.

The 357FG wich the 364FS was part of was the first P-51B/C/D Mustang group in Europe during WW2. They arrived with P-51B/C's in October 1943, receiving the first P-51D's around May/June 1944. I do think however that serials 44-72xxx started arriving around the time you mention, but this is for others to verify or contradict.

Bare metal/silver started arriving around the same time as the P-51D, firstly because air superiority was beginning to be achieved by the allies, but also because it eased the work load at the factory and a bunch of other reasons. Many P-51D's were however repainted in the UK and in the field with various camouflage schemes, usually Olive Drab over Grey.

The 357FG had atleast 3 schemes:

1) Olive Drab top with bare metal/silver lower areas

2) Olive Drab top with grey undersides

3) Bare metal/silver overall -> applies to your choice.