Sanka Mk.b Completed Pics 2/13/10

This is model 1&1/2, I have taken a 20 yr break from the hobby. More of an answer in my F-14 build.

This is the first time i have built a finemolds kit and must say it is sweet. :D

10075181a.jpg

I started with the cockpit. it went together well, fine detail everywhere. The only issue I have with the kit is where are the seat belts??? :bandhead2:

I used pics of a 109 cockpit & scratched the belts.

sankapit1.jpg

sankapit2.jpg

sankapit3.jpg

on the instrument display i painted the background color on the raised besel & then used microset for the decal.

sankainstr1.jpg

Please tell me what you think.

Cheers,

Jason

Edited by USMC Herc

I have built the kit too. Great little thing. I still dont understand why fine molds wants you to put the decal on a flat panel. As can be seen i fits perfectly on the detailed panel. I did the same thing. More please.

I have built the kit too. Great little thing. I still dont understand why fine molds wants you to put the decal on a flat panel. As can be seen i fits perfectly on the detailed panel. I did the same thing. More please.

I agree, the raised detail with the deacal looks much better than i could ever paint. thanks for all the feedback & I hope the rest of this build lives up to expectations.

Cheers,

Jason

Just had a short time work on this lil hunny. I glued the aircraft intakes onto the fuselage and closed the fuselage up.

Note: when putting the fuselage together make sure the bottom lines up. I was an idiot and left them slightly off while worrying about the top :coolio: . The top will be totally covered by another part. I am an idiot for not thinking about that even after looking at the instructions a dozen times. Well here she is closed up.

sankafus1.jpg

the next step was to put the wing together. It went together well, the only thing i did not like was the large gap at the end of the ailerons. i filled this in with putty and sanded. there was a lil bit of a seem on the leading edge so i put a lil putty there to.

sankawing1.jpg

I am thinking about drilling out the gun ports and placing a lil styrene rod in to simulate the guns.

All comments and suggestions welcome.

Konnichiwa,

Jason

I so gotta have that kit!!! Awesome following your build of it :cheers:

Would be cool to see it next to a Shinden...they look pretty similar :D

Cheers!

I took mine to a club meeting. Same night another guy brought a Shinden. ALot of the guys in the club thought the Sanka was a real aircraft and the Shinden was a fictional one :beer4: The shinden is a bit bigger and sleeker. It does have the look of a fake aircraft next to the sanka for some reason.

I took mine to a club meeting. Same night another guy brought a Shinden. ALot of the guys in the club thought the Sanka was a real aircraft and the Shinden was a fictional one :beer4: The shinden is a bit bigger and sleeker. It does have the look of a fake aircraft next to the sanka for some reason.

How weird.....

I assume the other guy wasn´t a total clutz at building either? I mean so there wasn´t a quality gap between the kits?

-Sorry for the delay in posting....

Here are a few pics from a couple days ago, I have since thrown a lil paint and hope to get pics up soon.

Here is another pic of the pit before it gets closed up.

IMG_1246.jpg

Here is a dry fit of a few parts... The Fuselage went together with no issues at all. I must say that fine molds makes a fine fitting kit.

IMG_1255.jpg

The actual working counter rotating props is nice. I thought it was cool to see that they made the electrical slip ring for providing power to the prop.( copper colored ring, on most props this is used to power the de-iceing on the spinner & blades)

IMG_1256.jpg

I hope to have more pics up soon.

Thanks for looking,

Jason

:) I am wanting to kill the local Air Force weatherman. D@mnit man give me a few days of good weather, no wind, no rain, low humidity!!! I have had this bird ready for final colors & spraying Future for decaling for a week. :D

Sorry bought the rant & rave :crying2: Guess that is what happens when you live on a little sub-tropical island.

Kannichiwa,

Jason

• 5 months later...

Alot of people became obcessed with this movie, the combat scenes are awesome. The Writer wanted all the aircraft in the film to be the pintacle of prop driven aircraft. I think the design team did a terrific job of making sleak, High performance, and deadly looking models for the movie. IF you haven't seen any of the combat scenes you need to youtube em.

I painted the props black and then I had to add the safety stripe. Only problem was the stripe is not on the blade tip, so I made a marking jig from card.

20090111_IMG_3075.jpg

Placed the prop hub in the jig and applied tape.

20090111_IMG_3076.jpg

20090111_IMG_3077.jpg

Note to self... do not leave Masking solvent on model for months at a time. it stained the paint and pulled it up when I removed it. I repainted the wells grey then painted in white.

20090113_IMG_3079.jpg

20090114_IMG_3080.jpg

Decaled the props and stabilizers.

20090116_IMG_3083.jpg

The aircraft decaled up.

20090116_IMG_3084.jpg

20090116_IMG_3085.jpg

20090116_IMG_3086.jpg

20090116_IMG_3087.jpg

I completed the panel lining and final assembly. I had issues with turpentine for a thinner, it made the paint on the tails seperate and I had to repaint. I broke the nose landing gear in 3 pieces and snapped the nose gear door at the hinges. >:( but I have been able to repair em all. ;)

Cheers & Semper Fi-Jason

Awesome!!!!! :thumbsup:

Really happy you got on with this fantastic build!

Cheers!

Very, very nice! :worship: The prop band jig is ingenious! :)

I agree with both of the above ...

Looking VERY good, Jason .... :rofl:

Gregg