I started this on Monday.

This is the first Italeri armor kit I have built....not horrible, but very simplistic compared to the Tamiya and even Trumpeter kits I am used to.

Here is the chassis, all complete minus road wheels.

M109_1.jpg

M109_2.jpg

Starting on the turret today. If it goes as well as the chassis did, this kit doesn't have long to go before it's on the shelf.

Edited by paul.nortness

I got the turret finished today, just need to spray it.

The only real trick was the baskets in the back....and those took all of about 15 minutes.

I'll try and get some pics taken tomorrow when wake up. Working nights suck!

Getting closer.......

M109_3.jpg

M109_4.jpg

The treads are not attached yet, I need to weather and finish them first.

Still needed to do......

paint and attach all tools and gear

paint and attach mg at commander's station

future and decal

flat coat and weather

This bad boy is done!

M109_5.jpg

M109_6.jpg

M109_7.jpg

M109_8.jpg

I hate the Italeri tracks. They are super stiff! I had to apply CA glue to the tops of the road wheels and then jam the handle of a hobby knife between the track and the top of the "wheel well" to get the tracks to lay down like that. Still...I am pretty happy with the way they came out. I first painted them with Tamiya Metallic Grey. Once they dried, I applied a sludge wash made from crushed up Burnt Umber pastel chalk, water and a drop or two of liquid soap. After that dried, I took a dry paper towel and wiped off the tops of the pads. Then went back over the pads with flat black to give them that hard rubber look.

To finish the body, I gave it a coat of future. Once the future cured, I then applied the insane amount of decals (total of 5...took about 5 minutes to decal). Then immediately applied a coat of Testors flat coat. That stuff dries really fast. After a few hours, I came back and applied a thick coat of the same sludge I used on the tracks. After the sludge had dried, I dipped the corner of a paper towel into some water and started to wipe the sludge. I like to just wipe enough with the wet to moisten the dried sludge a little....then with the dry part of the towel wipe off the excess...this gives you some nice streaks and stuff.