Tamiya vs. Revell F-84 Thunderjet in 1/48

I'm contemplating doing a Thunderjet for my next project.

Now, I know that the Tamiya kit is a no-brainer (suits me perfectly!), but I was wondering how the Revell kit stacks up. There are some pretty eye catching -E version decals out there...

Cheers,

Tony

The R/M kit is the same standards as the Dog Sabre and Strike Eagle. The tooling was done in Korea and they look alot like what an Accurate Miniatures jet would have looked like (I figure same tooling house did them)

The best thing I like about the R/Ms are the weapons. You get tiered 5" HVARs and a Mk 7 glowstick in the newest boxing that is out now for around $20 USD. Funny thing is the wings have flashed over slots for 2 HVARs per wing but they only give you one per in the kit.

The differances in the mold to accomodate the E and G are panels up on the nose and the wing refueling recepticle as well as the heavy framed canopy in the G versus the blown one in the E boxing. Right now I am not sure if they have all of the bits in the boxing of the current G release. The one thing it doesn't have is a gun bay as is in the Tamiya kit

Matt

http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/korean/graserf84e.htm

http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/korean/cleaverf84.htm

P.S. Tony since you did those Hobbycraft Mustangs a couple of years back now, any sign they are still doing the F9F Cougars?

For my money the RM kit is the better of the two. The Tamiya kit has some minor fuselage dimensional issues, and is strictly a G (no provision for an E). The RM kit has been issued with both long and short tail pipes and with/without the auxiliary intake, so you can truly do an accurate E or a G from it, depending on which version you get. I think the overall level of detail is slightly better on the RM kit as well, although the Tamiya kit isn't by any means terrible. Both make up into nice models with very little effort.

J

The Revell kit has also just been reissued and it is going for a pretty dang cheap price right now of only about $20.00 or so (while the F-14D is closer to 30, go figure). Only minor nit pick I've heard of with the RM kit was the tail shape was a little too rounded, but I don't see it and I can live with it.

Thanks, guys. I knew that the Revell kit was nice, but I was unaware that it was even nicer than Tamiya. Given the price difference, it looks like Revell is the bigger no-brainer of the two!

...any sign they are still doing the F9F Cougars?

I got the test shot gig through a third party, so I don't have any special insight into Hobbycraft's future releases. Your guess is as good as mine!

Cheers,

Tony

I've built both, and the only thing I didn't like about the Revell kit is the MLG struts which seem to be a bit weak-they seem to want to bend inward where the yoke meets the main strut, like is common on Phantom kits after a while. Some AM struts would be nice, but I think the only ones were fitted to the Tamiya kit, which really didn't seem to need the extra strength (go figure...). I don't know how well they would fit the Revell kit, if you could even find a set now-IIRC they were cast brass and marketed by Meteor Productions or one of their other lines (Cutting Edge, Teknics, etc.).

• 4 months later...

Each has good and bad points. The fuselage on the RevMonProMod is closer to correct than the Tamiya, and the tail shape is correct in profile but the Tamiya is not. The wings on the Tamiya are closer to correct than the RMPM but the tanks on the Tamiya are too big where the RMPM tanks measure nearly perfectly (dimensions provided to me by a friend who took a tape to the "E" at Dayton).

I have two gripes with RMPM; the nose gear is very flimsy (have not experienced any problems with the main gear but the Tamiya main gear is more-better so to speak), and the fuselage aft of the canopy has a difficult-to-define incorrect shape which causes the canopy to kick up in back that is not correct when posed open. The Tamiya canopy "levels" correctly when posed open.

I have built nine Plankwings (so far) of both Tamiya and RMPM kits, going so far as to severely kit-bash my "ultimate" Plankwing by combining the two kits best parts and adding numerous resin and PE aftermarket details. I should add that three of them were bashed/backdated to "D" version.

The short conclusion is that both kits can be built from the box to represent the Plankwing with no regrets, and any added resin, PE, or aftermarket decals just add to these already good kits. Now if we could get state of the art F-84F and RF-84F kits in 48th scale ... since Kinetic blew it ...