This started out a few years ago as an interest in building "Oddball's" Sherman from Kelly's Heroes. I picked up the kit and a few bottles of Testor's Flat Green and sprayed the parts. When I got into the research (watching the movie looking for details) I noticed that the kit is not representative of his M4-it's the wrong model. It went into The Naughty Closet for that.

Over time it bugged me and it was the color that got to me. After my vacation last year I had noticed that a lot of military display pieces quietly rusting away in parks and in front of Veterans Halls are painted a very similar color. And since there's actually a Sherman sitting in front of the VFW hall in Appleton Wisconsin, a plan slowly came together.

I'm gonna build this as an outside display piece. It should go quick. Most of them have external details removed so kids don't get hurt playing on them. And since it's sealed up, I can skip a bunch of inside details too.

Here's the kit:

VFWM4002.jpg

And here's what I'm starting this project with. I don't normally use a started kit for a group build but it's a chance to finish it and all I've done is spray parts on the sprues and clean up the road wheels:

VFWM4001.jpg

I could even have this together this weekend :whistle:

Ken

And some progress already. I filled in the holes for the tools. I considered making empty straps and brackets but I figured after 60 years most if not all of it would be broken off, ripped off or rotted away. I'm also skipping the add-on armor that was common on the battlefield. This was likely a training vehicle that wouldn't have it anyway. I also clipped the bow gun off and drilled a hole where it was. The exhaust piping will stay off too-the engine's likely removed so it wouldn't be there:

VFWM4004.jpg

VFWM4005.jpg

I'm off to do laundry but I still want to get the gaps in the hull filled with some sheet styrene and build up the turret tonight. Cleaning up the bogie carriages will be the most time consuming part of this build, I think.

Ken

This started out a few years ago as an interest in building "Oddball's" Sherman from Kelly's Heroes. I picked up the kit and a few bottles of Testor's Flat Green and sprayed the parts. When I got into the research (watching the movie looking for details) I noticed that the kit is not representative of his M4-it's the wrong model.

Not to get you off track....http://www.hlj.com/product/FORF100

http://www.track-link.net/gallery/4603

Yup-remember seeing the build when I was researching mine. Found the figures too. Now that I'm off in a different direction tho, I don't think I could build a better one :thumbsup:

Gaps closed up:

VFWM4.jpg

Ken

And the hull is built up:

VFWM4006.jpg

VFWM4007.jpg

There are plenty of leftover parts :D I put the tow hitch mount on but skipped the hitch itself. The turret periscope hatches are closed. I skipped the gun detailing and glued it into place. The headlights are drilled out of the housings and I bent one back as if a vandal nailed it. I considered bending the guard too but I don't want to wreck it trying.

Once I get the suspension cleaned up the whole thing can be painted. Then for some weathering :deadhorse1:

Ken

Here it is, with a fresh coat of green and a couple coats of Future:

VFWM4008.jpg

VFWM4009.jpg

I don't care much for Future as a gloss coat. It never gives me an even coat and it'll run on me from time to time. However, with this thing I figured it doesn't matter and it's cheap. And it won't react with oils. I also went with RLM 66 for the rubber on the bogies as I wanted to depict extreme deterioration.

Here it's on the shelf next to a Tamiya Tiger II I did a few years ago for a size comparison:

VFWM4010.jpg

I did the overkill thing with the markings as it would be appropriate for a display piece.

And I was wrong about the bogies being the most time comsuming part. It's painting the tracks...

Ken

Thanks Holmes. It's actually a fun little build when you don't have to worry about accuracy or perfection or any of that nonsense :salute:

A little update. Started weathering by depicting rust in the places where water would stand. Of course this wouldn't happen in an active duty AFV but this one's been sitting stationary for years. I paid particular attention to the welds, as I see this a lot in junkyards:

VFWM4012.jpg

I'll let this dry for awhile before I proceed. I'm using oils and they're pretty delicate when they're still wet. Next will be fading the paint. I can see this being faded nearly chalky white in places where the sun is intense.

And I figured out how to deal with the tracks. Here's a pic of an M5 Stuart rotting away in Winnemuca NV I took on my vacation last year:

DSCN7034.jpg

I found the best way to depict the damage and wear was to sand the pads on the vinyl kit track with 36 grit auto fileboard sandpaper. It made for a lot of material to pick off, but I think I got the effect. I followed that with a coat of cheap flat black spray paint:

VFWM4013.jpg

I then hit the steel link connectors with a bit of Metallizer Burnt Iron to depict the steel rusting through the black paint. I'll weather these with some gray pastels before they go on.

Ken

Thanks man, but I don't know if I'd base a build on what I'm doing to this one;)

Started trashing paint tonight:

VFWM4016.jpg

VFWM4015.jpg

I started out using the technique at the link Tank posted. Great way to get the look but I didn't think it was quite enough for a derelict. I ended up scrubbing the oil paint on with a stiff wide brush. I skipped the suspension for tonight-I'll give it some dry time so I don't get fingerprints in the stuff that's already done.

It's pretty heavy, but again the paint is quite neglected on this and it'll tone down considerably under a dull coat.

Ken

Thanks Mark. It's gonna look odd next to the rest of them, that's for sure.

I'm going to dullcoat this tomorrow and see how it looks:

VFWM4017.jpg

I hit it with a mix of burnt umber and yellow ochre oils, thinking the paint would have worn thin and rusted or held dirt on spots over time from kids playing on it. I also kept the top of the 75mm barrel relatively clean for the same reason. I'm also thinking it could use some more rust streaks along the joints but we'll see what it looks like tomorrow.

Ken

I'm gonna call this one done, even tho I'm not entirely satisfied with it. After washing it with white oils, I hit it with some light gray pastels and then a dull coat. It didn't seem 'aged' enough so I hit it again with pastels and it didn't change the look any. So I added a couple rust spots where the paint chipped on the sides over time and left it at that. It really needs a display base but I also want to get a 1/35 "father and son" type set of figures who can be examining it while on display.

Sometime down the road tho. I have an AFV M-10 that I have to focus some energy on:

VFWM4019.jpg

VFWM4027.jpg

VFWM4025.jpg

VFWM4029.jpg

VFWM4028.jpg

Ken

Edited by WymanV

I like it. You basically got what your after. Just paint the figures as someone from the 60's-80's that way it would be 'aged' correctly. :rofl:

Edited by Tank