Well, after admiring and collecting rotorcraft kits for many years, I have finally "taken the plunge" and begun my first project. I had actually started it several years ago but lack of knowledge, and skills left the project tucked away in a box. After dusting off the parts, this is what I began with.

CGJR01.jpg

Once the interior was painted, and fuselage halves joined, I started working on the seams.

CGJR04.jpg

My first attempt at masking off the windows.

CGJR06.jpg

Here she is with a first coat of gray primer.

CGJR08.jpg

Seams were touched up, primer sanded, and white primer applied. This was followed by more sanding, and a few gloss coats of Tamiya white.

CGJR12.jpg

After much consideration, I debated whether to paint this after the aircraft utilized by the Los Angeles County Fire Department, or the United States Coast Guard. I was unable to find any reference material or photos that either agency used JetRangers. I decided to go with the USCG graphics scheme, as I really like the look, and the decals are readily available. The finished product should look something like this.

USCG206protoype.jpg

While this project is far from perfect, I have learned a lot while working on it thus far. As with any project, there are ups and downs... I hope to touch up a few rough areas, and make them more even. I know that I will need to pay more attention to the fit of the doors/windows, seams, etc. in the future. The craftsmanship displayed here has been a great inspiration. I hope to get the International Orange, and proper color blue paint for the stripe at the hobby shop tomorrow. I also need to order decals. I hope that this will be the first of many rotorcraft projects. I have many ideas that will require extensive conversion. Thanks for checking it out. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

David

Hey David

How are you? Great to see your lovely Jetranger on here.

You sell yourself too short my friend, that looks pretty awesome from where I am sitting!!! Love the choice of colour scheme as well. White can be a real pain to spray, but you seem to have suceeded with it.

Looking forward to the next installment and many more rotor projects from you

Cheers

Anthony

Hey David

How are you? Great to see your lovely Jetranger on here.

You sell yourself too short my friend, that looks pretty awesome from where I am sitting!!! Love the choice of colour scheme as well. White can be a real pain to spray, but you seem to have suceeded with it.

Looking forward to the next installment and many more rotor projects from you

Cheers

Anthony

David,

I concur with Anthony. Nothing wrong with that bird, my friend. i wish my first helo had looked that good! I really like the USCG scheme as well. Should be a real eye catcher when you're finished.

Ray

Well, after a successful day of puttying, sanding, mixing and masking, I was ready to take the plunge, and put some color on the JetRanger. Unfortunately, the Testor's Acryl Coast Guard Red that I received from Sprue Btothers the other day was chunky, gloppy(is that a word?), and useless. I played around with some Tamiya paints that I had, I was able to come up with a pretty good match, and began to prepare to practice airbrushing. As I have never been an accomplished airbrush user, I have used rattle cans with good results over the last several years. So, I primed some water bottles, and practiced spraying. After coming up with the right combination of pressure, thinning, and paint, I went to work. Here are the results:

CGJR15.jpg

The rear end of the fuselage is masked with tape, pending airbrushing the next layer, a blue stripe. The Parafilm M is pulled back to reveal the area for the stripe. Once cured, I will then mask off for the stripe.

CGJR16.jpg

The tailboom is also masked. The bottom half of the tailboom will remain white. The tail of the aircraft will be red as shown. Decals have been ordered, and hopefully will be on their way soon. In the mean time, I am working on the seams for the floats, and they will be painted and attached to the skids. I still have to work out color scheme for rotor system. Let me know what you think.

David

Looking pretty good. A note on the colors though, in the white/orange scheme Coast Guard Red is not used. It is actually International Orange. The Coast Guard Red is an overall color, such as on the current MH-65C Dauphin. As its a ficticious aircraft though, I guess it doesn't really matter. It looks like th paint went on well and it will look nice though.

David its looking good so far. Not sure what you are doing for markings but I was thinking, the USCG used some Bell 47's with floats for patrolling the harbors around NYC. Photos of those might help with station markings etc.

Looking pretty good. A note on the colors though, in the white/orange scheme Coast Guard Red is not used. It is actually International Orange. The Coast Guard Red is an overall color, such as on the current MH-65C Dauphin. As its a ficticious aircraft though, I guess it doesn't really matter. It looks like th paint went on well and it will look nice though.

USCG red would still be used in the "racing stripe" as far as know, the International orange is only used for added visibility, typically nose and tail.

USCG red would still be used in the "racing stripe" as far as know, the International orange is only used for added visibility, typically nose and tail.

No, the International Orange is the color in the White/Orange scheme. The USCG Red is used on the MH-65 only. I researched it and had it confirmed when I was building my 1/35 MH-60J Jayhawk. It was confirmed by a couple MH/HH-60J crewchiefs.

I still have not found any confirmation that the USCG used Bell Jet Rangers/OH-58s either. If you have some pics, they would be most appreciated.

David its looking good so far. Not sure what you are doing for markings but I was thinking, the USCG used some Bell 47's with floats for patrolling the harbors around NYC. Photos of those might help with station markings etc.

Hey Guys,

Didn't mean to stir up any controversey. Since I like both the standard white/red/ blue and high visibility international orange/white color schemes, and I was unable to locate any photographic evidence, I decided that the former would probably be more "period correct". I am just begining to learn about and develop an appreciation for the USCG. My hat is off to all of you whose fine work is represented on this website. I can only hope that my final effort does some justice to the men and women of the USCG. I am grateful to all of you who have shared your knowledge and projects here. I have ordered markings from Joseph at Fireball Modelworks. He gave me some guidance and ideas about what might be appropriate service numbers and aircraft type. My only concern is that the "stars and bars" may be too big for the area that I had planned. I will have to wait and see... I have to wait for the Tamiya paint(custom red acrylic mix) to cure, before I can mask for the blue stripe. The pictures above do not accurately represent the paint job, as I have since removed the masking. Overall, I am pleased with the results thus far. As with any finish, there will be some minor touch up work required. I had thought about airbrushing the blue on clear decal film and trying to apply it(the easy way out), as opposed to masking and airbrushing it. I am afraid to ruin what work I have done so far... Well, I am off to sand the primed floats, and paint them. Then I will try and decide about the blue stripe. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

David

No controversy, just setting the record straight. Yours looks good for a what-if scheme. Can't wait to see it finished and with the markings on it. One addition you might want to make to the scheme is to add a flat black anti-glare panel in front of the canopy, on the nose. It would be similar to the MH-65Cs and MH/HH-60Js.

For the stripe on my MH-60J, I used Testors Model Master French Blue and masked and sprayed it with an airbrush. Here's how it came out.

IMG_0410-7.jpg

I also used Joseph's decals. He upscaled them to 1/35th for me.

The finished product.

IMG_0406-5.jpg

More here.

Good luck on yours.

Edited by HeavyArty

What color is on the Stingray?

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.sear...68A&submit=

I am know expert, but I would of thought the Dolphin was the same color as the other helicopters, and testors just came up with a paint for them? Is there an actual FS for International Orange? or is it just a Name like safety Orange.

The Dolphin was first painted "Full" with the color for the Arctic?

Raking my brain, I though testors International Orange was the Red used on the old WWII truck engine blocks.

The HH-65 is Tangerine, a bit redder than International Orange. It always opens a can of worms but Chevy Engine Red works well for the HH-65. International Orange is correct for all other orange and white USCG aircraft except perhaps the overall red / orange HH-52 Sea Guardians, but I'm not sure what color they actually were.

I did not realize the stripe was orange, I always thought it was red like on the ships. I have an older painting guide that is pretty specific about the stripe being red, but it is older than the orange and white scheme. I haven't had much luck finding the USCGs current painting regs. Someone sent me one for the HH-65 but unfortunately I have misplaced it.

I've been told the MM USCG red and orange are not accurate for modern aircraft anyway, they are apparently older colors from the 50's or 60's. I've had no luck with them either, I've bought two bottles of each and all have been unusable, not my usual experience with MM paints.

The USCG has not used any Bell 206's David is just having a little what if fun.

This site lists all USCG aircraft past and present

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/coastguardseries.html

What color is on the Stingray?

I am know expert, but I would of thought the Dolphin was the same color as the other helicopters, and testors just came up with a paint for them? Is there an actual FS for International Orange? or is it just a Name like safety Orange.

The Dolphin was first painted "Full" with the color for the Arctic?

The MH-68A Stingray is also in the Orange/White scheme.

1291061.jpg

International Orange is FS12197. I don't know why the MH-65C Dauphin is the only aircraft in overall Tangering (red-orange). I don't think it is for Arctic ops though, the HH/MH-60Js work out of Alaska in the Arctic as well and are in the white/orange scheme.

One addition you might want to make to the scheme is to add a flat black anti-glare panel in front of the canopy, on the nose. It would be similar to the MH-65Cs and MH/HH-60Js.

Gino,

I had actually considered adding the anti-glare panel after doing the original line drawing/paint scheme. I just have to decide where to make the paint break lne.

For the stripe on my MH-60J, I used Testors Model Master French Blue and masked and sprayed it with an airbrush.

I have a bottle of French Blue Acryl sitting here in front of me. I also have a tin of Humbrol 109. It is a flat color(not a problem as the whole model will get a coat of Future), but since it is an enamel, I decided against it due to compatibility issues. I had placed the model in a food dehydrator yesterday for a few hours to expedite the curing of the Tamiy red. I hope to get the blue stripe masked and shot today. Gino, I have been admiring your HH-60 J for several months. I have bookmarked many of the articles/pages on which it is featured. Someday I hope to build one half as good as yours.

Ray, Thanks for the photo. I like the proportions of the Canadian Coast Guard stripe. I probably should have made mine narrower. Oh well, there is always next time... Thanks for all of your replys and comments. I will post more pictures as progress continues.

David

The MH-68A Stingray is also in the Orange/White scheme.

International Orange is FS12197. I don't know why the MH-65C Dauphin is the only aircraft in overall Tangering (red-orange). I don't think it is for Arctic ops though, the HH/MH-60Js work out of Alaska in the Arctic as well and are in the white/orange scheme.

What color would you say this is? Looks like a 60 right in back of it.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Coast...826699c581f6c2e

To bad most of the time when I see them, it is only in the air :thumbsup:, Would be interesting to see both schemes side by side.

International Orange is A Redish Orange, I will have to buy another bottle Of testors paint and see if they changed it, To me their color by the name has always been closer to a Safety Orange.

----------------------------

I would have to look up to see if I can find pictures of the older White/Orange HH-65s. They were that color till they changed over to the full one color. If I recall right it was even called the Arctic scheme. Painted one color similar to the Icebreakers etc.

Here is a picture of an HH-65 in the Arctic,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39044187@N03/...070325/sizes/l/

They use to use them there till they contracted the Rangers from, site I posted previously.

http://maritimehelicopters.com/arctic.htm.

----------------------

Will keep this stuff in the back of my mind, hopefully I see both schemes side by side one day to check it out. Mainly I only see a 65 is when I am at the southwestern part of Rhode Island, since it borders Long Island. If there is a USCG copter out side my house, it is mainly a 60 from Cape Cod.

Edited by Wayne S

I found the email I've been looking for about the paint schemes. When I built my HH-65 a few years back, I got an email from a retired coastie who worked on the HH-65 from their adoption until he retired in the late 90s.

This is the short version

HH-65 orange / white 1985-88 or 89. Aircraft 6596 was the last orange / white HH-65 re-painted to overall orange in 1992.

HH-65A overall international orange

HH-65C overall PPG Tangerine

So that explains part of the confusion of the International Orange vs Chevy Engine Red (Tangerine) argument. Only the later version of the HH-65 is painted Tangerine.

What color would you say this is? Looks like a 60 right in back of it.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Coast...826699c581f6c2e

----------------------

That one is an A model painted in international orange as Aaron posted above. Like he said, the confusion comes from A models in international orange and C models in tangerine orange.

That one is an A model painted in international orange as Aaron posted above. Like he said, the confusion comes from A models in international orange and C models in tangerine orange.
I found the email I've been looking for about the paint schemes. When I built my HH-65 a few years back, I got an email from a retired coastie who worked on the HH-65 from their adoption until he retired in the late 90s.

This is the short version

HH-65 orange / white 1985-88 or 89. Aircraft 6596 was the last orange / white HH-65 re-painted to overall orange in 1992.

HH-65A overall international orange

HH-65C overall PPG Tangerine

So that explains part of the confusion of the International Orange vs Chevy Engine Red (Tangerine) argument. Only the later version of the HH-65 is painted Tangerine.

I see now,,,, Thanks guys :)

hooknladderno1, Sry if the chatter took your heli off subject, will be watching this one,

hooknladderno1, Sry if the chatter took your heli off subject, will be watching this one,

Wayne,

No worries. I enjoy learing about the history and reasoning behind the different color schemes. I just wish that I had some historic reference to go by for this project. Oh well, it kind of gives me a little "artistic license". No offense intended to anyone if it is not historically correct. Anyway, I received the fine decals from Joseph at Fireball Modelworks. His work is exceptional, and his customer service fantastic! I was able to get the blue stripe masked and painted, before a marathon shopping trip and dinner with the family. I hope to apply some Future tomorrow, and then get some of the decals applied in the next few days.

CGJR17.jpg

CGJR18.jpg

I do have a question. As shown in my original drawing, I had planned on yellow floats on the skids, simply as a high visibility, safety cue, to visually differentiate the skids/floats on final approach when landing. I do not know if this is a historically correct color, or should they be some other color? I have seen on the Bell 47 style kit(sorry, not up to speed with specific model designations yet), they were dark gray or black.

CGJR19.jpg

Either way, they will be toned down with some Pollyscale flat once painted. Just trying to make the aircraft look correct. Also, the paint has been touched up a bit since these photos were taken. I also lost(read broke off) the tail rotor guard in a little butter fingered mishap. Don't know how I will replace this yet. Thin wire or brass maybe... Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

David

It seems like floats are usually dark colors, probably a result of the materials used but I don't really know. I've only built one float equipped helicopter so I don't know much about them. Maybe some bright panels on an overall dark float would be an option to tone it down.

I don't know why the MH-65C Dauphin is the only aircraft in overall Tangering (red-orange). I don't think it is for Arctic ops though, the HH/MH-60Js work out of Alaska in the Arctic as well and are in the white/orange scheme.

I was looking through the Schiffer book on the HH-52A Seaguard and many of them also used an overall red-orange (USCG Red #40) scheme. It doesn't come right out and say it but it appears that it was used on those aircraft assigned to icebreakers or arctic / antarctic operations.

It's just a theory but I'm thinking as the HH-52s replacement the HH-65 started with the overall orange in a similar way to the HH-52 except it spread to all the aircraft to reduce logistics. The HH-3F Pelican never used the overall orange scheme either, since the HH-60 replaced the HH-3 it makes sense that what ever logic resulted in a special scheme for the HH-52 and not the HH-3 would carry over to the HH-65 and HH-60.

The HH-65 is a pretty small helo too, so it maybe it was felt it needs all the extra visibility it can get.