Hasegawa 1/72 T-33 Shooting Star

@dragan_mig31 & ReiRei0: Thanks a lot :)! Well, I really don't know much about the FAG. All information I'm using for my build is courtesy of the fine folks at www.laahs.com!

Washday: well, not literally, of course. I mixed some black and white oil paint to get a grey washing. To dilute my oil paints I use Humbrol enamel thinner. The washing was applied with a small brush, panel by panel. After drying for a minute or so I wiped the excess paint off.

26_small.jpg

After the washing - again - some future. Here's the result. Let's face it: I'm not really happy with this. The panel lines turned out way too dark! Even with my grey washing they look black. But I didn't feel like trying to correct that with a second washing. So you and me will have to live with it :) :D

Next the anti-glare panel etc. will be painted flat clear and then it's time to demask the canopy. For me that's always one of the milestones during my builds - a moment to hold your breath, indeed :pray:

27_small.jpg

Thanks for your comments, they keep me motivated :thumbsup:

Sooo...I demasked the canopy. I should have left the tape on it because what I saw didn't make me that happy. Luckily it's not so visible in the photos: There's some fog in the rear part of the canopy. Moreover some putty is visible where I filled the gap between the canopy and the rear fuselage. Not much but you see the mistake when you look closely inside the cockpit :monkeydance: Ok, keep cool. There are two possibilities. 1) Open the canopy, fix everything, reattach it, fill again, sand again, paint again, hope all this correction work doesn't make things worse. 2) Live with it. Well, I didn't have to think about it for long. I'm in a stage where I ust want to finish this one... So forgive me...

28_small.jpg

@johnsan: About the landing gear. It's pretty much ready for assembly but I didn't take any extra photos. You'll see it attached to the model in the next installment :)

29_small.jpg

Done! The landing gear is attached and it's not a tail sitter - that's a big relief. My last two models were tail sitter, a Gannet and a Gnat.

I also added all the other small parts that come only right at the end because they would break off again if they were attached early. That's a small blade aerial(?) at the nose, the pitot tube made from wire and the fuel drain pipe at the rear.

01.jpg

Here you can see that there's absolutely nothing in the gear wells. I guess (hope) the Sword offering will outshine this Hasegawa kit by far!

33.jpg

And this is kind of my favourite shot. Sanding the air intakes thinner was well worth the effort!

27.jpg

Ok, I'll end this in-progress thread with a photo of my major buidling mistakes mentioned earlier :( Clockwise beginning in the left upper corner:

Here you can see some of the putty that was squeezed into the cockpit when I filled a seam. Next we have the fog at the rear part of the canopy. Then there are the panel lines looking exaggerated due to the washing. And last but not least we have the glue spilled on the wing. Luckily not so visible any more...

26.jpg

I'm glad this one is finished :) You and me now know the flaws but I think they are always most striking to the builder himself lol

I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did and I'm looking forward to see the first Sword T-33 at this place. However, that won't be mine.. I decided to build a kit next that has recessed panel lines from the outset :whistle: : Hasegawa's F9F-2 Panther

• 2 weeks later...