Trumper-kv-1s-ehkranami-boxtop.jpg

Well here is the start of my build thread and I am ready to prime now.

Kit goes together like a charm and I have drilled holes above the appliqué armour between the return rollers to allow insertion of thin metal (steel) wire to create track sag.

Does anyone know what the Cyrillic slogan on the turret says? A club colleague reckons it says...

"This way to Vodka!" :beer4:

kv-1s-01.jpg

I used a turned aluminium barrel to replace the kit F-32 76mm gun. A inexpensive investment of US$1.10

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

Hello Madmike,

I must have missed this....it is always to see someother genre here as well as Jets,

and this is refreshing to see. The primer has come out well..The aluminium gun looks

pretty nifty.... Keep up the Good work and I will be back for more.... :thumbsup::beer4:

"This way to Vodka" sound about right to entice the opposition{ but really I do not know!} :taunt:

HOLMES

Oops! No turret slogans image!

84811.jpg

This is boxart for the 1:35 Trumpeter kit. Wish they did box art like that for their 1:72 range! The markings for both scales are the same.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by madmike
  • 3 months later...

Been a goodly while since last update BUT images soon.

Wordy update thus far. Paintwork 99% done, pin washes 50% done. The decals were difficult to lay down over those big bolts holding all the appliqué armour on to the turret sides. But Microscale Sol came to the rescue and all looks good.

Trumpeter tracks are evil things. Lovely mouldings but they do not hold paint well and need to be sewn together not glued. Tackling them at the moment!

• 4 weeks later...

After much further ado at the lower Urals Tractor factory, the result is as below.....

Base is next!

kv-1s-quik01.jpg

kv-1s-quik02.jpg

kv-1s-quik05.jpg

Hope to be finished this shortly. The first (technically) finished build for 2010!

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike
From what I could research (I don't remember my Russian too well) "беи фашистcкую габину" is "Bei Fashistskuyu gabinu" which roughly means "crush the fascist serpents".

Romanator21

Thanks for that! Makes more sense now :thumbsup:

I still like "This way to vodka!" :P

Base is now completed, with only minor stuff to be done.

The only issue I had with this kit was were the tracks. Trumpeter tracks are finely moulded, accurate and commendably thin. However they are made from a vinyl that refuses to be joined together by model glue or CA. This means you need to sew them together with black thread for the best results and careful sewing means a near invisible join. When the upper track work can be hidden by skirts, the join is not seen, but when you do not (as in the KV-1 above) then you need to get creative to conceal it as best as possible.

That said, I would recommend this kit highly.

Edited by madmike
  • 2 weeks later...