New R/M Tomcat releases

I pulled out my new F-14B release from R/M to scavange some parts and noticed something I hadn't when I first looked through it. They give you the provision to do the duel Sidewinder mounts. That's really cool. So, even though some of the new parts aren't all that great, the new releases give you cleaned up molds, dual Sidewinder mounts, and a Bullwinkle pod. Not too awfully bad.

Edited by Darren Roberts
I pulled out my new F-14B release from R/M to scavange some parts and noticed something I hadn't when I first looked through it. They give you the provision to do the duel Sidewinder mounts. That's really cool. So, even though some of the new parts aren't all that great, the new releases give you cleaned up molds, dual Sidewinder mounts, and a Bullwinkle pod. Not too awfully bad.

All for only three times what you can get the Delta for at Michales! :cheers:

If it's the original Delta, it's not really a Delta. Still not a bad kit, but the moldings were getting really old.

The only real issue I saw with my last one (a few months ago) was the pig nose; not much flash or warped parts. (aside from the droopy right wing that seems to have afflicted every single 1:48 VG-winged kit I've built!)

I have a question for the F-14 experts out there regarding the new Revell D kit. Did the F-14D actually carry the AQL-167 pod?? I tried searching on Google for information regarding that pod and got nothing. I want to use it and the TARPS pod (which looks decent) and I am curious what time frame the pod would be appropriate for.

I got the new F-14D kit today and compared to my old unbuilt D kit in the stash, the older parts look pretty good. I love the new parts that allow you to do the dual AIM-9's. Both the B and the D kits have the parts, it's just not mentioned in the D instructions. I just wish Revell would have put four of the new missile rails in the kit instead of just two.

Edited by muswp1
Hey Mike,

The D comes with ALQ-167. I don't have the D kit yet, but there are pictures on the "other" site that rhymes with "bone jive".

Hey Darren,

Great, thanks! I went to look at the pics but they're no longer there. I hope somebody parts with them as I could use a few!

How did the -167 get nicknamed the 'Bullwinkle' pod? I've always wondered....

I've always thought this was one of the coolest shots of an F-14 carrying a unique loadout that I'd like to build one day....

F-14_from_VF-102_with_TARPS.jpg

Edited by Scot M

Wow those parts look cool but did they rescribe the panel lines. Probably not at least that's my guess. I'll never buy another RM Kitty. To much work to make worthwhile model IMHO. DR don't try to talk me out of this one. You will lose.

Oh yeah... I know who Rocky and Bullwinkle are....but how does a jamming pod relate to them (him)? I guess I'm going to need it to be spelled out for me.. Time to go make some coffee...

Edited by Scot M
They give you the provision to do the duel Sidewinder mounts.

Darren, could you please show some detail pictures of the dual mount? Very curious about this, and always thought it would be cool to model

Just perhaps the Bullwinkle reference was created to keep the Ordies from getting confised? That theory makes the most sense to me! :bandhead2:

Seriously though, the Delta never carried the ALQ-167 Bullwinkle pod. It is however, very very cool to actually see one of these in plastic, and anyone not using theirs can send it my way, as I have a Hasegawa Alpha I am gonna do as a VF-154 CAG in full TARPS regalia. The Bullwinkle just completes it out!

Well dang! Looks like I'll try to pick up one or two of those kits Looks like its the squard end version, not the domed ended version like the one carried by that Diamondbacks jet. Still pretty cool that it has those options. The tanks look lame as does the LANTIRN instalation, but if I can do duo winders, it'll be well worth it.

ATAC7A.jpg

Any closer images of the new parts available?

Fuji, I still had my kit and camera out so I hope this helps:

IMG_0323.jpg

EDIT: Now the pics are fixed. Sorry about that.

I really want to 'talk' to the individual that eliminated that LANTIRN pod/pylon, looked in the bowl, and thought it would make a good model component.