I have a spare table that I put a colored foam board. The foam boards can be purchased at art and craft stores and come in many colors I have one of every color. You don't need to buy white - the back of every color is white!

Can I ask a question?? How do you determine which color background to use?? What if I wanted to takes pictures of a white Avro Arrow, gray Hornet, and then a shiney red Ferrari, what color foam board would you use?

thanks

DaveT

Can I ask a question?? How do you determine which color background to use?? What if I wanted to takes pictures of a white Avro Arrow, gray Hornet, and then a shiney red Ferrari, what color foam board would you use?

I use light blue poster board for all my photo shoots.

140059220-M.jpg

140059293-M.jpg

140059811-M.jpg

140059460-M.jpg

I'm shooting with a Canon 30D (on a tripod) with an external flash (with defuser) and 100W lights (in reflectors) on either side. More samples here http://moose135.smugmug.com/gallery/2649779

Edited by Moose135

I use a sheet of light blue-gray photo backdrop paper for everything:

65.jpg

This is great stuff to use; it's opaque, and stiff enough to resist wrinkling. However, it's expensive...the roll I bought costs about $40, but if you got a few people together to buy a roll, it's a good investment. I think that the roll I bought was either 12' or 20' long, so there's plenty for several people to share.

• 4 weeks later...

i would shy away from black or dark brown as these colors will absorb light and under expose you shot. and when you try to compensate for the exposure you will burn our the detail of your shot. in my experience i have found that like the rest light grey or light blue is the best bet. hope this helps

Dan

The light blue allows the model to contrast well without washing it away in the background. Even a grey scheme will show up well. If a model was going to be used in the middle of a page, without any framing, it would be shot against a white background. A white aircraft could be shot against a darker blue or gray background. You'll just have to experiment a bit. You can buy rolls of background paper a most major craft supply stores.

• 1 year later...

Right now im using my washing machine as a background its the only place with lots of light and thats a uniform color ;)

i need to move my but and go bye some color cardboard maybe light blue or green depending on witch of those is easier to remove with Photoshop

Cheers

NEo