Revell 1/72 TFX

That sounds like one of the old 1960's Revell renditions of the F-111. It had swing wings and retractable landing gear as I recall. You could build it as an Air Force A or a Navy B. It had pretty good shape for a kit of that vintage.

this is the old matchbox bristol beaufighter tfx its just been released over here

Ah, the posting of this thread in the Jet Modeling section is what threw me off then.

If so, the contents of the RoG Beaufighter repop can be viewed here.

HTH,

Andre

Ah, the posting of this thread in the Jet Modeling section is what threw me off then.

If so, the contents of the RoG Beaufighter repop can be viewed here.

HTH,

Andre

No, I am not asking about the prop job. I am asking about the F-111.

Hi Dutycat,

Scott on MM did an inbox review Click here

If you want a super duper all bells and whistles model to sit next to your Tamiya masterpiece (with about 3Kgs of resin details) then it's probably not to be recommended, if however, you want a nice shelf sitter of the F-11B then go for it....

Looking at Scotty's pic above, I've bought (and built) worse looking kits of similar vintage in current manufacturers boxes. I'd like one to do the F-111B but never seen one for sale.

HTH

Roy

Hi Dutycat,

Scott on MM did an inbox review Click here

If you want a super duper all bells and whistles model to sit next to your Tamiya masterpiece (with about 3Kgs of resin details) then it's probably not to be recommended, if however, you want a nice shelf sitter of the F-11B then go for it....

Looking at Scotty's pic above, I've bought (and built) worse looking kits of similar vintage in current manufacturers boxes. I'd like one to do the F-111B but never seen one for sale.

HTH

Roy

Man..that is freakin awesome!! I'm 55 and remember building this kit as a kid. The retractable landing gear was a real turn-on to me. Ahhh...those were the days. Where'd all the retractable landing gear kits go!!!??? We need to have some updated kits from Revell that have modern, well engineered retractable landing gear! They'd sell like hot cakes...

Is there anywhere I can get my hands on this kit?

Thanks,

Paul

Man..that is freakin awesome!! I'm 55 and remember building this kit as a kid. The retractable landing gear was a real turn-on to me. Ahhh...those were the days. Paul

I was always amazed at how delicate the gear pieces were, but when finally assembled how stout it turned out.

I blew mine up with a firecracker. The surprise was that the blas blew the escape capsule out infront of the carnage by aobut 3 feet. too bad the chute didn't deploy.

I was always amazed at how delicate the gear pieces were, but when finally assembled how stout it turned out.

I blew mine up with a firecracker. The surprise was that the blas blew the escape capsule out infront of the carnage by aobut 3 feet. too bad the chute didn't deploy.

LOL!

I've seen some nice builds done over the years with the ole TFX kit. It was one of Revell's better efforts. Maybe not Hasegawa, but certainly passable in 1/72 and you had both the long and the short wings. So even an RAAF F-111C was possible from the kit if you had your own decals.

Edited by Jay Chladek

Were there any diagrams for a production version? Where were they going to hang the weapons on this thing, especially the AIM-54's? There doesn't seem to be much room for pylons. I am not that familiar with the F-111's configuration.

Were there any diagrams for a production version? Where were they going to hang the weapons on this thing, especially the AIM-54's? There doesn't seem to be much room for pylons. I am not that familiar with the F-111's configuration.

I think the plan was to hang two AIM-54's under each wing and two in the weapons bay. The wing pylons on 'B pictures I have seen are shaped rather like those of the F/A-18 Baby Hornet.

There is some good info, including diagrams, here and here.

HTH,

Andre

Well, is it worth having? ..... if i can pick one up cheap?

I'd think so, I paid some €5 for mine and it's worth it from a nostalgia viewpoint alone.

It's not comparable to Hasegawa's Vark kits, of course, but for a Sixties kit it is rather nicely done.

Cheers,

Andre