Looking pretty good. Only critique I could give would be needing a larger bow wake. With that much wake coming off the stern you should probably at least see some kind of white cap all the way up to the bow.

pennsylvania01.jpg

Other than that your water looks excellent. Its something I havent attempted to tackle yet, but its something I really want to learn.

thanks Adam! I thought the water looked a little calm around the hull too, so i roughed it up more. Pics on the way in a day or so. progress is slow because Im trying to finish a few other builds at the same time. Sweet shot of her BTW, thanks!

I went really HIGH TECH with the water-

DSCN1214.jpg

:thumbsup:

My Grandfather was based in Panama back during the 1930's - here are a couple of shots of the Pennsylvania that he was able to get. I'll take a look for anything more I can find.

Mike Kopack

bw13.jpg

Seen at Pier 18 is the Canadian Pacific Line's Empress of Britain. The Empress was the largest vessel ever built for a Canadian line, in 1931. In 1939 she became a troop transport and in October 1940 she was bombed and heavily damaged by Luftwaffe patrol aircraft. While under tow she was sunk by a German submarine, the largest noncombatant to be lost in the war.

Alongside the Empress of Britain is the USS Pennsylvania (BB-38). She was commissioned in 1916, the first of her class. She survived the war and both of the Bikini Atoll atomic tests and was scuttled in 1948. The Pennsylvania earned 8 battle stars for her service during WWII.

bw4.jpg

Back in Panama these are the aircraft of the USS Pennsylvania (BB-38).

Back in Panama these are the aircraft of the USS Pennsylvania (BB-38).

The rear-most floatplane is interesting. Dark painted fuselage with "US Fleet" on the side. IIRC Pennsylvania was the flagship of the battlefleet for a while (at least she was on 12-7-41, and for a time before). Wonder if that's the Admiral's personal ride ...

Thanks for sharing those pics Mike-especially the first one. Cool to see all the deck awnings fitted out.

I'm converting the 1/350 Banner Arizona to the big Penn as she would have appeared the first week of December 1941, before going into drydock. Pennsylvania was purpose built as a flagship-hence the little "pillbox" on the forwardmost superstructure. Those were the Admiral's quarters/bridge.

Good stuff.

Ken

• 1 month later...