1/35 Tamiya M1A2 Abrams - pics

Thanks so much, guys!

Regarding the correct color for the habs on the wheels - I'll remember that for the next one! :lol:

Well good new is you can tell me or other to pound sand......

http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/abrams_25.jpg

http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/abrams_28.jpg

Just throw a little more dust/dirt on the green rims and your gtg.

:)

Great work there Gabe!

As for the hubs - technically, they are clear so that the oil level inside can be easily seen, and the dark colour is just the oil seen through the clear cover. The latest M1A2 SEP and M1A1 AIM kits by Dragon even include them as separate parts on the clear sprue.

However, just like anything else in a tank, it will end up covered in dust and grime, plus I doubt that crews would go to the trouble of masking them if they painted a NATO green replacement wheel into a desert sand colour after it was fitted to the suspension.

I doubt that crews would go to the trouble of masking them if they painted a NATO green replacement wheel into a desert sand colour after it was fitted to the suspension.

Yes they would. The crew is required to check the fluid level daily as part of Preventative Maintenance Checks and Services (PMCS) before operating the vehicle. This helps reduce breakdowns and parts failures. They are also wiped clean periodically to see the levels. It would be easy to go back and paint them black to replicate the oil-filled covers. Be sure to leave the center bolt either sand or green, whichever the overall wheel color is.

Gabe,

I am wowed by your detailing expertise on this beautiful...STUNNING Abrams..

I particulalry like the detailed workmanship on the bags on top ,

and the way you managed to get the writing on the "parcel"look so perfect.

The tracks and the wheels looks clearly as if they have been " hammered " thru such tough terrain...WOW !!!

So was this Armor used in the Iraq conflict and ARE THEY STILL THERE now?

HOLMES :P :whistle:

Gabe,

I am wowed by your detailing expertise on this beautiful...STUNNING Abrams..

I particulalry like the detailed workmanship on the bags on top ,

and the way you managed to get the writing on the "parcel"look so perfect.

The tracks and the wheels looks clearly as if they have been " hammered " thru such tough terrain...WOW !!!

So was this Armor used in the Iraq conflict and ARE THEY STILL THERE now?

HOLMES :P :whistle:

Thank you Holmes. :whistle:

Regarding your question: whether they still serve there - I don't know. But actually (not 100% sure), the M1A2s were brought to Iraq AFTER the war as a peace-keeping weapon - During OIF I believe US forces used earlier models such as the M1A1 and M1A1HA.

Regarding your question: whether they still serve there - I don't know. But actually (not 100% sure), the M1A2s were brought to Iraq AFTER the war as a peace-keeping weapon - During OIF I believe US forces used earlier models such as the M1A1 and M1A1HA.

Well, sort of. The first M1A2s arrived in Iraq in late April '03 with 4ID. They were too late for the initial invasion, but were heavily used in Falujah and the Sunni Triangle to the west of Baghdad.

The tank depicted is from 3ACR and would have arrived in Iraq in May '03. They were quickly moved to the west of Baghdad to take care of insurgent uprisings and mop up operations there.

M1A2s are still in Iraq with 4ID, 1CAV, and 3ACR when those units rotate in and out. These are the only 3 units in the Army that use M1A2s. All other units use M1A1 AIM tanks. Most in Iraq are M1A2 SEP tanks now though.

Edited by HeavyArty
Yes they would. The crew is required to check the fluid level daily as part of Preventative Maintenance Checks and Services (PMCS) before operating the vehicle. This helps reduce breakdowns and parts failures. They are also wiped clean periodically to see the levels. It would be easy to go back and paint them black to replicate the oil-filled covers. Be sure to leave the center bolt either sand or green, whichever the overall wheel color is.

Thanks Gino,

Its good to find out the truth from someone in the know! It was just a guess on my part to explain the pics where the hubs look the same colour as the rest of the road wheel.

Trent

Dammit man! I dove under my desk, knocking over my chair and causing a cat (not sure which of the 2 it was...) to rip a hole in my arm!

Be more careful where you point that damn barrel! MUZZLE CONTROL!

oh and awesome model... looking down the barrel of anything that realistic... it's better to be safe and hit the deck, you understand. Now where is our Bactine....

actually the center bolt is bare metal

Dammit man! I dove under my desk, knocking over my chair and causing a cat (not sure which of the 2 it was...) to rip a hole in my arm!

Be more careful where you point that damn barrel! MUZZLE CONTROL!

oh and awesome model... looking down the barrel of anything that realistic... it's better to be safe and hit the deck, you understand. Now where is our Bactine....

Lol! well... Thanks! :worship: