NF-5A Turkish Stars colors & questions

Hello all,

I had the honor last year to see the TuAF Turkish Stars aerobatic team doing their stuff.

Since then i want to build one of them.

I get the CA F-5A. I'm guessing there are no decals for them, am i right?

I intend to paint the red stripes and red bird (in the bottom) by myself. The other signs will be printed.

My question is what red is that red? Also, in what colors the cockpit is painted?

TIA!

Danny

Hello all,

I had the honor last year to see the TuAF Turkish Stars aerobatic team doing their stuff.

Since then i want to build one of them.

I get the CA F-5A. I'm guessing there are no decals for them, am i right?

I intend to paint the red stripes and red bird (in the bottom) by myself. The other signs will be printed.

My question is what red is that red? Also, in what colors the cockpit is painted?

TIA!

Danny

There are decals in 1/72 scale, but none that I know of in 1/48. The cockpit is painted just like any other NF-5A, nothing special there. Note that the individual airplane numbers and crew names are painted in white, so you'd better have access to an ALPS printer if you care about accuracy. FS 13136 would be close enough for the red color.

You can probably buy a cheap PM 1/72 F-5A kit and use the Turkish Stars decals in that kit as a pattern; particularly when doing the "bird" (more accurately, the double-headed Seljuk eagle).

While the plastic is "ehhh"

Which is, eh, one way of putting it....

On my example the fuselage and one piece wing look like they come from totally different kits. :-)

Cheers,

Andre

Hi,

Thanks to all for your help.

Tobias, thanks so much for the link. Excellent stuff indeed.

But when I made an order, i received a message when i tried to pay through Paypal: "This recipient does not accept payments denominated in WS_Error_XClick_Pref_Foreign_Currency. Please contact the seller and ask him to update his payment receiving preferences to accept this currency".

What does it means?

Thanks again.

Danny

Hello all,

TIA!

Danny

I saw them last year at the Hungarian Air Show in Kecskemet. The Stars were great! I was able to meet several of the pilots who were friendly and put on an awesome high speed/low show. I understand that the F-5s are ex-RNAF. I have pictures, but from about 1000 metres away. Email me if you'd like to see them. They are not close enough to model, but it sounds like you may like them.

AC

Thanks all.

Gary - thanks for the airliners.net link - was there allready...

AC - i have enough pics to build the model. Thanks...

About the payment - i drop a mail to Babibi model regarding the problem, they email me back with a direct link to Paypal payment. Bottom line - everything is OK. Tomorrow they'll send the decal sets.

Thanks again all.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a duplicate of a post I did in general discussions. I think it is more appropriate here.

All:

This is my first post, so if I am in the wrong place tell me. I apologize in advance for any rule breaking.

I have recently acquired several PM Models Kit number PM-221, NF-5A, Turkish Stars.

The red of the decal color and the suggested red paint colors are very different. The instruction suggests Model Master Insignia Red (and some others that are not readily available to check) which is not even close.

The size of the decals is such that a difference in colors will clash big time.

Please make suggestions as to how I can match the decal color with a paint color.

My fallback is to experiment with adding drops of white to the Insignia Red, but I fear there are bits of other colors in there somewhere.

ORRIN

I seem to have posted in the wrong forum. I am going to duplicate as a reply to a related post in another forum

This post has been edited by Orrin: A minute ago