I have the old Yellowhammer decals and just recieved the CAM decals yesterday in 32nd scale. One set is almost a gold color and the CAM is the standard yellow. I've read several threads before about this but which is correct? Both sheets say they are for the 1969 team. Next question is about burner cans...did the 1969 team fly with the C,D,B,N short burner cans? If so, I can use my C,D cans from the one that will be a E,G. And did the Angels use yellow intake covers on their F-4's...haven't decided if I want to feel the pain of fixing the intake problem or just put a pair of Harold's intake covers on! Thanks for helping an old Air Force guy out!! :)

Blue Angel yellow (F-4J) - According to The Official Monogram US Navy & Marine Corps Aircraft Color Guide Vol 1960-1993 in Appenidix B Blue Angels "In keeping with changes in the fleet, the Blue Angels switched to the F-4J Phantom in 1969....While Yellow was still specified to match 13538"

FS13538 is a "Orange Yellow" which has the goldish appearance that you mention.

Blue Angel F-4J burner cans - Yup, use the short ones like the B/C/D/N for the Blue Angels F-4Js.

Blue Angel F-4J Intake covers - I haven't a clue.

Hope this helps.

Here's the real story on the Yellowhammer F-4J decals. This isn't rumor, it's fact, because I'm the guy who did the original artwork for that sheet in 1992. Back then Hal Tippins was the guy behind Yellowhammer. He hired me to do the artwork for the Blues F-4J sheet, which I did. The original was done using original McDD factory documents that Hal had obtained, as well as help from several former Blue Angels. The *original* printing of that sheet was in the correct deep chrome yellow.

Some years later, Hal got out of the hobby biz and sold the Yellowhammer name to Dave Klaus of Meteor Productions. Mr. Klaus reprinted the sheet (and I believe also had it scaled up to 1/32 IIRC). I have no idea who printed the decals, but the yellow that was used was a deep mustard yellow, almost orange. That is *not* correct. The original yellow was correct.

J

So what you're saying is that the original Yellowhammer Blue Angels F-4J sheet (in 1/48th) is the right color and ALL the ones that followed are incorrect?

So if I had the original Yellowhammer F-4 Blue Angel sheet, the reprinted Yellowhammer (Meteor) F-4 Blue Angel sheet, and CAM F-4 Blue Angel sheet side-by-side, they'd all be different shades of yellow? AW CRIMENY!!! :bandhead2:

Edited by John B
Here's the real story on the Yellowhammer F-4J decals. This isn't rumor, it's fact, because I'm the guy who did the original artwork for that sheet in 1992. Back then Hal Tippins was the guy behind Yellowhammer. He hired me to do the artwork for the Blues F-4J sheet, which I did. The original was done using original McDD factory documents that Hal had obtained, as well as help from several former Blue Angels. The *original* printing of that sheet was in the correct deep chrome yellow.

Some years later, Hal got out of the hobby biz and sold the Yellowhammer name to Dave Klaus of Meteor Productions. Mr. Klaus reprinted the sheet (and I believe also had it scaled up to 1/32 IIRC). I have no idea who printed the decals, but the yellow that was used was a deep mustard yellow, almost orange. That is *not* correct. The original yellow was correct.

J

Good information!

So what you're saying is that the original Yellowhammer Blue Angels F-4J sheet (in 1/48th) is the right color and ALL the ones that followed are incorrect?

So if I had the original Yellowhammer F-4 Blue Angel sheet, the reprinted Yellowhammer (Meteor) F-4 Blue Angel sheet, and CAM F-4 Blue Angel sheet side-by-side, they'd all be different shades of yellow? AW CRIMENY!!! B)

Essentially yes, that's what I'm saying.

J

that stinks that you had it right once, and then it got morphed into that mustard

Especially when certain people, who shall remain nameless, were insisting that their baby poop color was absolutely correct. It isn't, wasn't, and never will be. A quick look at any photo of a Blue Angels airplane will confirm that. The original had white behind two layers of yellow to ensure opacity against the blue.

J

Thanks for the replies guys. I must have a "re-issue" sheet cause my Yellowhammer sheet is a mustard gold color...Dang-it!!!!!!!!!!

Drop me an email (jrh - at - pemtel - dot - net). I can fix you up.

J