Whether or not accepted as a viable entry (not sure since it's included in another kit instead of a standalone kit), I figured this was the best place to post progress pics of it.

The Academy 1/72nd Kubelwagon. AC put out a 3-vehicle kit with the Kettenrad, the Kubelwagon, and the US Willy's Jeep, and then later on split these up onto their own sprues and added them as bonuses in aircraft kits. Example I built the kettenrad with my 109E kit, and this Kubel comes with a Fw190A8 kit.

I started last night, did most of the cleanup and some basic painting. Then went at it today for a long time and made a lot of progress.

I only just opened up the sprue bags last night, so it has to be a new record for me!

The kit contents:

kubel_contents_sm.jpg

The parts (no flash so you can see some of the details ridges):

kubel_partstree_small.jpg

Assembly (I followed my own series of steps, didn't adhere to instructions):

kubel_assembly1_sm.jpg

I carved the door open as an afterthought, just scored until it did this:

kubel_assembly2a_sm.jpg

kubel_assembly2b_sm.jpg

General paint:

kubel_assembly3_sm.jpg

(to be continued)

The major reason I didn't follow the default steps is I wanted to wash it all, and things got in the way.

I discovered a new toy this time: applying the wash with a Q-tip!! Worked great, will have to try again. I normally brush it on. Use dry end of Q-tip to soak up excess.

kubel_wash_qtip_sm.jpg

Fresh application (still wet):

kubel_wash_wetfloor_sm.jpg

Has to dry flat, so it can be tricky:

kubel_wash_side_sm.jpg

Other parts:

kubel_wash_parts_sm.jpg

As of tonight it's done, but I'm working on a few things I want to put in/near it and I haven't taken any "nice" photos of it yet.

These are the extra "bits" that Academy included with the Kettenrad sprue. I left them in my "spares" box until now. I'm thinking of making a diorama base with grass/dirt, a luftwaffe plane of some sort, and these drums/boxes and having the car in it as well, but that idea hasn't fully formed yet.

kubel_drumsboxes1_sm.jpg

kubel_drumsboxes4_sm.jpg