• 3 weeks later...

I finally found some much needed modeling time last week end.So here goes

IMG_0840.jpg

This is the donor kit for this conversion project the Revell 1966 Edition of the Fokker Dr.I in 1/28 scale.This new project is to convert the Fokker Dr.I to a Fokker E.V/D.VIII.Always any and all commits are much appreciated.

I'll attempt to give you a sort of running commentary as I go .

IMG_0842.jpg

In this photo I've made the first cuts to the fuselage.Both halves were cut straight across the lower section to correct the profile to that of a Fokker E.V / D.VIII

With the fuselage halves cut down you need to increase the depth of the rear fuselage.This was done using thin plastic card stock cut to match the enlarged drawing taken from my Fokker E.V / D.VIII datafile

IMG_0846.jpg

Next the plywood pieces were fabricated and the beginning of the fuselage frame.Again using my trusty datafile

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

At this point I set aside the fuselage parts for later and started the wing.

Wing Construction.............................

Using information from the November 1989 Fine scale Modeler as a guide,the first bit of business was to transfer the FSM drawings to the supplied kit parts with carbon paper.I should note that in this conversion you will be using all three wing from the Dr.I kit to make up the single wing of the E.V / D.VIII.Once all the pieces are cut out it's really like assembling a jigsaw puzzle. Now on with the Frankenwing construction photos.

Left side panel pieces not shown are the right side panel,both side are identical except for they are Handed for left and right.

IMG_0852.jpg

The upper right side panels are assembled and reinforcements added.Just alittle over kill on my part but if you want a strong wing it needs to be done.

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

The new wings upper surfaces and lower surface together. The white card piece is a correction for a miscut.Must remember to measure twice and cut once.

IMG_0854.jpg

The semi finished wing is now ready for putty and filler.

IMG_0855.jpg

That's all for now fellas.Time to putty and sand and sand and the putty and sand some more. Thanks for looking and Happy modeling.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

• 3 months later...

Morning All,

A small update for you today.I'm been out of the Country due to family business and a general lack of time as well.So on with the update.

Work has begun on the interior details.

IMG_0134.jpg

The upside down airfame.

IMG_0132.jpg

Cockpit floor and fuselage side pieces. :lol: Only took two redoes

IMG_0136.jpg

Lozenge decals applied to the interior of the fuselage halves.I using Doug Bauman's excellent Lozenge Decals.

IMG_0137.jpg

[iIMG_0140.jpg

Now for the really fun bits, Frankenwing is now completed.

IMG_0130.jpg

If you at the underside of just about any Fokker E.V/D.VIII you'll notice it's far from perfectly smooth as you would expect.What you'll notice is what I call cupping.This caused by the securing the ultra thin plywood to the wing internal frames.I guess it's safe to say you can't expect perfection of the under surfaces when using 1-1.2mm plywood.

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

That's all for now,actually there is more done than shown but photographed yet.I'll post again soon with much more to show.Thanks for taking a look.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

• 1 month later...