tamiya gloss coat tips

Guest phill

hey all i have been working on a hasagawa f-15c and have spent several months fixing it up,(sanding painting, glueing) then was ready for the gloss coat so i thought i would try tamiya gloss in a spray can. Big mistake! i followed the instructions on the can and had left my asthetical paint coat to dry for about two weeks and then applied. the Tamiya paint pealled the under lyining paint off i tried pushing the paint back down and some sections worked all right and other i had to get a shatp bade and tooth brush to try and get it of so i could attempt to redo it.

it was pretty frustrating and the plane almost flew into the WALL but i composed myself and evaluated the situation and figured i could try and save all the time spent on it.

So my advice is to have an old plane and when u have finished praying the asthetical coat place some on the old plane so when u get to the last coat u spray it on the test plane first and observe what happens the proceed on the current project. also i think i will us future the next time. Also the tamiya spay can doenst seem to give u a good cover and u need to apply several coats or silvering will occur on the decals.

PS: also does anybody know if i can apply future over this enamal gloss coat or will it effect where the paint is lifted and been pushed back down? :blink:

• 1 month later...

Phill,

How long did you wait for the paint to dry before you gloss coated the model?

I let the paints dry at least a week to make sure that all the thinners and chemicals that are volitile have a chance to outgass or evaporate.

What kind of paint did you use for the model?

If you used an enamel it might have reacted to the thinner in the clear coat.

How close to the kit were ya spraying?

Too close can cause the thinner in the rattle can fomulation to soften the paint on the kit. this could cause the paint to let loose its grip and peel off in blotches

and finally.

What were the atmospheric conditions where you paint?

High humidity can cause fisheyes, and also cause the paint to bubble in some areas. Too low a humididty can cause the paint ot dry too fast on its way tot the kit sausing it to peel up in sheets. I had an F-8 that I found this on and had what looked like a snake shedding its skin.

Also low humidity can cause static to build up when spraying causing very rough paints.

Tamiya clear gloss spray is a hot solvent based product. It will wrinkle and peel any kind of enamel very quickly unless you apply a few mist coats before applying it a little wetter. I have used it no problem on top of Tamiya acrylic, Gunze Mr Color laquers and the like, but wouldn't let it anywhere near a normal enamel painted model.