MM Metallizer Differences

Can someone please tell me the difference between Model Master Metallizer Aluminum and Aluminum Plate? I know one is buff and non-buff but is there more of a difference? ANd also what is Metalizzer Exhaust all about? is it a color or a coat?

For example for any of these Metallizers if I was to paint a plane Blue then coat it with Aluminum would I have a Blue metal looking plane? or if I was to coat the blue plane with Exhaust instead would it be a dark blue-colored plane?

Sorry if this is confusing but I am going crazy :beer4: about this and cant afford to buy them to experience. Thank you very much.

Model Master Aluminum Plate should be buffed. Metalizer Aluminum is sort of semi-flat Aluminum colored.and is more like paint. The Buffing Metalizer should be sprayed on bare plastic and then buffed. Once buffed you can't mask over it, the tape will lift it off the mode.

Exhaust is looks like burnt metal.

If you spray it over any painted surface your basic color will be replaced by the Metal color. Trying to buff it out may give you a hint of the base coat, but don't count on it.

Just to add what Terry already said:

Use the metalizer in the following order:

1) Airbrush with metalizer color (on bare plastic works best)

2) buff metalized area (a clean tee-shirt like material works well.)

3) If necessary, metalize again and rebuff.

4) Airbrush metalized area with 'metalizer sealer', This will cover area with clear layer that will protect metal finish. Until this point, handling the unsealed area will rub off the metalizer paint.

5) Decals/weathering

6) Gloss/Dull cote.

7) Shelf

As far as masking, I have had great luck in using frisket paper on areas 'metalized' AND 'sealed'. I have not tried using frisket paper on just metalized areas.

Concerning the burnt iron or Exhaust colors, I consider these accent colors:

When painting areas like engine exhausts, I usually paint the area with stainless steel first and buff. Then using burnt iron, add hints only otherwise your engine exhaust pipe looks like it was made of copper. When finished with the burnt iron, then buff. Finally, even though the Exhaust color is a buffing metalizer, I usually don't buff it as exhaust isn't normally shiny and it doesn't really buff that well anyway when I have tried. I also only use hints of exhaust as it will otherwise just make everything black. Finally, airbrush the area with the 'sealer'.

Anyway, that is what I have learned from using the stuff.

thank you model_junky and terryt for the great knowledge.

the problem I am having is that you guys are using and have all the metalizer colors. but what if i am "poor" and only need the "common" ones. i will end up having most of them in the future. but i am planning on building or would love to build a Mig-21/Su-17, Saab Gripen and Eurofighter Typhoon 2. Do you think just having Aluminum Plate and Burnt Metal will be enough? If you can recommend what 3 metalizers paint you would have or need.

I have heard people say that if you prime surfaces with gloss black enamels, you can indeed mask over it and it won't come off. Kind of like an Alclad II method. Anybody know about this?

I've done it, and it seems to really work well. Mind you, I haven't tried it with the buffing colors, but it really does help the non-buff colors to stick.

thank you model_junky and terryt for the great knowledge.

the problem I am having is that you guys are using and have all the metalizer colors. but what if i am "poor" and only need the "common" ones. i will end up having most of them in the future. but i am planning on building or would love to build a Mig-21/Su-17, Saab Gripen and Eurofighter Typhoon 2. Do you think just having Aluminum Plate and Burnt Metal will be enough? If you can recommend what 3 metalizers paint you would have or need.

I have mixed MM Black with Aluminum Plate before to create a darker shade. Similar to stainless steel. With a little experimentation, you could achieve the correct shade for other metals such as steel or titanium for the engine areas. Flat black could also be used instead of exhaust (assuming you use an air brush).

I think you could get away with just Aluminum Plate and Burnt Metal.

• 1 month later...

Hey you guys, do you have any more mixtures I can do to create a different type of "metal"?

Right now I have Exhaust (got it for $1.50), Aluminum and Burnt Metal. Debating on buying Burnt Iron. I have only brushed on Burnt Metal and have not even opened the others yet. I'm wondering is there a BIG difference on brushing on metalizers and airbrushing it? Because on the jar it says airbrushing only, but I've read a few people who brushed them on. And I'm guessing it is okay to mix the metalizers with other enamel paint right? I do not have the metalizer sealer yet, cant I just use Future to seal it or other acrylic clear coats?

I'm the type of person who is scared to experiment. Even if I did experiment I wouldn't know what color I am trying to achieve and how to fix and correct it. I would rather listen to others and learn that way. THANKS.