Dornier Wal flying boat

Sorry to say I haven't been doing much of anything model related for the last little while. I've sold my townhouse and need to start getting packed up. Its also the start of boating season so I am working on them again. I am planning on living aboard starting May of next year so i have to start liquidating my stash and everything with an eye on living in 1300 cubic feet of space. :wave:

As soon as I get moved I'll be setting up my bench again and will start working on the Wal. I do want to get it finished.

Heres a new link to the LSP thread. It should work, I was just there.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=24792

Sabre

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Sabre,

Thank you for the linky to your SUPERB work.

I see you have gotten quite a lot done and I think its looking far better than I thought in MY mind.

Hope your move abroad{ just out of curiosity where in the World are you moving to?} goes according to plan and that everything runs smoothly in your transition form One country to another......

Hope also that your Boating season is fruitful..

BEST WSHES...

Have fun and see you here when you restart the project again..

Bon Voyage .. :touche:

HOLMES :doh:

Hey Sabre,

Thank you for the linky to your SUPERB work.

I see you have gotten quite a lot done and I think its looking far better than I thought in MY mind.

Hope your move abroad{ just out of curiosity where in the World are you moving to?} goes according to plan and that everything runs smoothly in your transition form One country to another......

Hope also that your Boating season is fruitful..

BEST WSHES...

Have fun and see you here when you restart the project again..

Bon Voyage .. :touche:

HOLMES :lol:

Thanks for the good wishes.

I will be finishing this project come hell or high water. The fellow who was instrumental in showing the way just passed away suddenly, so the Wal will be finished as a tribute to him. Russ Camp was a fantastic person to watch in action, his builds were prolific, and inspiring in a way seldom seen anymore. He went boldly into methods and techniques that would normally not even be considered, and pushed the envelope just about every single day. Not only that, he was one of the most friendly helpful people you could ever hope to meet on line, always there to offer assistance on a project. It came as quite a shock to me to find out he'd passed. So the Wal is now dedicated to him. He will be missed.

I expect I'll be starting back up on this sometime in July, boats not withstanding. Stay tuned, enjoy the summer and look forward to new posts in a while.

Sabre

Thanks for the good wishes.

I will be finishing this project come hell or high water. The fellow who was instrumental in showing the way just passed away suddenly, so the Wal will be finished as a tribute to him. Russ Camp was a fantastic person to watch in action, his builds were prolific, and inspiring in a way seldom seen anymore. He went boldly into methods and techniques that would normally not even be considered, and pushed the envelope just about every single day. Not only that, he was one of the most friendly helpful people you could ever hope to meet on line, always there to offer assistance on a project. It came as quite a shock to me to find out he'd passed. So the Wal is now dedicated to him. He will be missed.

I expect I'll be starting back up on this sometime in July, boats not withstanding. Stay tuned, enjoy the summer and look forward to new posts in a while.

Sabre

Hello Sabre

I am sorry for the loss of your Friend and mentor Russ Camp. May he rest in peace and MY prayers go out to his family and Friends and you too.

I think Russ would have been delighted to know that this is being built in his Honor as a Tribute to him and I am

sure you will make him proud. :thumbsup:

Good Friends are hard to come by and those that impart their knowledge without any reward in return are exceptional, and your friend Russ

Sounds like that kind of a person...

Take care and see you in July..Sail safely....

HOLMES :blink: :blink:

HOLMES

• 1 month later...

Hey Sabre I was just going thru MY posts and I just wanted to say hope that you are okay and

that you come back to this build soon.

I for one am loking froward t seeing the completed Dornier wal Flying Boat...

HOLMES :jaw-dropping:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm making some progress towards getting a modeling space together, but man o man its difficult. The Wal is in a couple of boxes sitting on my filing cabinet, so I know where that is. My desk is now sitting in the dining room, but there is so much stuff in this place that getting to do any modeling is still a couple of months off. I hardly have room to move but I expect that by the time the boat is out of the water, I should have brought some order to this chaos. Tonight I managed to get the dining room table set up, been searching for the bolts for that since I moved back in June. (Silly me, put them in the truck for immediate use and then forgot about them :bandhead2: ) Of course now there's no room for the desk chair to move until I get some more stuff out of the way.

One thing I need to do is to screen some 375 VHS tapes for old discovery channel and history channel stuff I taped, so I can convert it to dvd. OF course the only way to do that is real time fast forward. Something to be done in the cold winter months, but if I do it now, I can disappear another dozen boxes from the dining room. I don't even want to contemplate the bedroom, there are boxes of aviation books piled floor to ceiling two rows deep down one wall.

If I can get the desk cleared off I'll unpack the Wal and have a go at it. Maybe this weekend. If I can figure out where to put the tools n stuff that are sitting on top of it.

Sabre

Hey Sabre .....

Its nice to have you back...and I see reading you comments that you are topsy-turvy and wanting to do things that take time...

just take it slow and nice and easy... the Dornier is safe right ,and in a place where you left it, so just concentrate in making your home

full of warmth and cozy before the winter sets in and that is around the corner..

Looks like your hands and mind for that matter is full of things that need to be done....Of course you should take the time to do those and the Dormier will

be just worth the wait..

Nice to have you back..and when yo get to it in another few weeks /days I will look forward to your amazing build..

TAKE CARE... :thumbsup:

....Dont break your back getting things done at once .. :rolleyes:

HOLMES :wave:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, I can see the back wall of the apartment now. And my desk is put back together with the lighting, and the boxes with the Wal subassemblies are sitting on the floor next to it. Hell there's even room for the chair now! Espina is coming out of the water tomorrow, and I think I may have sold her. One less thing to worry about. I'm also off on medical leave for depression but that's being sorted out as we speak. I have a couple of medical issue that needs to be figured out. Ones a real mystery, my hemoglobin levels are dropping slowly, no idea why. Various tests, and so forth. In the mean time I'm tossing out stuff left and right, trying to get order out of this chaos. I've managed to sort thru all those VHS tapes and tossed out about 315 of them. The rest have things on them I feel I need to copy so thats next. Winter is coming, time to do that later. But in the meantime there are 3 less boxes to trip over.

Once the boats out and covered up, I will clear the desk off, and get the parts out. I hope to be back at it in a week or two. Pics to follow. OH yeh, I'll also be completely debt free by the end of November if all goes according to plan. In these times of unemployment and other problems, that's a biggy!

Sabre

Those Dornier flying boats were groundbreaking in their day. They plied the Atlantic with ease, even establishing mail routes to South America when such things were unheard of.

The amount of punishment the later military ones could absorb was also legendary. They were thought to be very stout and seaworthy and could go a long way on the surface, chuggin' along through heavy seas when too overloaded to get aloft.

Nice effort on an unusual subject.

Edited by dahut
  • 1 month later...