Here I go with my next Maychbox entry, two PK-50 Spitfire IX\XVI. Both will be low backed with bubble canopies (just because I have not made this version before.) & clipped wings. Construction of the fuselage and wings is straight forward as there is no interior, all I did was add seat harness made from tape. The fuselage spine was cut away and the new low back attached. This is going to be fun as it is a poor fit.

test004.jpg

I intend to do one as a Greek MkXVI armed with rockets like this one:

Greek Spit 16

The other will be a South African Spitfire HF MkIXe as shown here:

SAAF Spit

I have converted the wings on both to the 'e' wing by moving the cannon to the outer bay, removing the kit cannon bulges and replacing them with some from the spares box. As you can see they are devouring green filler. :cheers:

Scrap04.jpg

I will try to get the canopies fitted today and then prime them. I am sure this will highlight more problems.

Just a quick update. After a final sand and surface touchup I have painted the underside of both with Xtracrylic Medium Sea Grey. This is where the two builds seperate. The South African Spitfire will have a top side colour of extra dark sea grey whilst the Greek one will be standard RAF Day Fighter Scheme.

I will post pics when I make some progress. Thanks for looking. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Made some progress on the South African bird.

SS851208.jpg

The decals are by Carpena and were wonderful to work with. Unfortunately the masking on the canopy did not work 100%. So I will need to clean it off before I progress any further.

The Greek Spitfire is still awaiting it's camo & rockets. I will post pictures when I make some progress.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice work on the Spit :worship:, how is the other one going?

The Greek Spit is wearing her camo but I don't think she will beat the deadline but I am trying. I have applied a coat of Future since this was yaken:

Greek01.jpg

The SAAF one is done however. This is the Matchbox PK 50 kit. Not to be recommended for a low back Spit as it takes a ton of filler to get the cut down rear fuselage part to fit.

top2.jpg

I converted the wings to an 'E' wing for good measure.

Front2.jpg

The decals are from Carpena and behaved beautifully.

under1.jpg

I just added a little weathering as all Spitfires leek oil.

front1.jpg

I still need to improve my canopy framing! :oops: I used WD40 to clean up the canopy after masking and it worked a treat.

side1.jpg

I used Xtracrylix paints of extra dark sea grey upper surfaces and medium sea grey undersides. It was finished off with a Humbrol dull coat.

top1.jpg

I did intend to put rockets on her but I could not bring myself to clutter up the graceful lines. Hope you like it.

Edited by old_Tonto

I made it! :stupid: this is a Greek Spitfire 16 circa 1947. She is tooled up with rockets, all ready for hunting commies in the mountains during the Greek Civil War. Here are a few pics for now, I will take some better images if the sun ever shines again! I just wanted to prove that it is complete before the dradline.

Top10.jpg

Side10.jpg

Rockets02.jpg

Rockets01.jpg

I dirtied her up a bit as the Greeks flew their Spits constantly. I used Humbrol rattle cans and Gator masks for the camo and they worked pretty well. More to the point I can reuse them! Her is the link http://www.gatorsmask.com/catalog.html

Here are all 3 of my Matchbox builds for this GB (apologies for the image quality, the camera is on it's last legs!):

Trio.jpg

I enjoyed these builds a lot. It's very satisfying to get a decent end result out of these old Matchbox kits. Looking forward to next year.