Question about Airfix 1/48 AH-64 Apache.

Hasegewa is the best one out there. Use the latest release of the Japan JGSDF Longbow AH-64D to get the lastest version available in plastic. It's got the new nose sensors.

No idea on the Airfix one, but I've never seen it mentioned here. I think that it's a very old one, probably a prototype.

Regards,

Gerard

According to online reviews, the hasegawa one is a ton o' parts (around 300 if I remember correctly), and very detailed, with raised rivet detail, seperate rotor components, complicated engine, etc. Aires also makes a cockpit for the hasegawa Ah-64D,

4137 - AH-64D LONGBOW APACHE cockpit set

Scale: 1:48

Kits: Hasegawa.

I've only looked into this kit the past couple of days as a future build. Hope this helps!

I haven't heard that Airfix ever did one in 1/48. It's almost never talked about when mentioning 1/48 Apaches, so I'd imagine that it's old and not very good. Hasegawa is the best by far for -A or -D versions. Next for the -A are probably Academy and then Monogram. Next for the -D are probably RoG and Italeri.

• 13 years later...

I've been doing a little research into 1/48th scale AH-64s. 

The Airfix 1/48 scale kit is in fact a Phase II Pre-production Prototype. It was the very first 1/48th scale AH-64 model kit to be released. It is now one of those kits that you either love or hate. You'll love it, if like me, you want to construct a prototype AH-64. You'll probably hate it if you want a production-standard AH-64A. I purchased one recently at a very good price and it looks to be quite nice but bear in mind that this is a kit from 1983. That being said, that period was possibly the golden era of production for Airfix/Humbrol. It is certainly the best starting point for an AH-64 prototype. I might try to improve the kit with a few relevant after-market components like photo etch and a brass Chaingun. 

I  don't have one but the 1/48 Hasegawa AH-64A Apache appears to be the best A-model, by all accounts. Their D (Longbow) and E (Guardian) kits appear to be the best late model kits of the MMW Radar 64s. 

in 1/72, Italeri has a basic kit that represents an AH-64D Longbow prototype. Are any of the earlier 1/48 Longbow kits a good representation of the AH-64D first flown by the  McDonnel Douglas Helicopter Company back in the 1992? Thanks.

LD.

Edited by Loach Driver