F-35B with full external load

:D, It would say this; "I am a dogwhistle"

Wrong. Dogwhistles have a limited range at which they can be heard. The Mighty Tweet™ has a noise that says “Your plane sucks!" in every available frequency.

Here's what the crew was actually saying that moment ...

dvic261.jpg

Actually, I think the guy on the right is about to puke. Again.

Guy on the left just wants to go wash off the vomit.

Edited by Trigger

As a general rule, to me at least, the constant "Tweet" insertion to threads has long since lost its humor factor, but the above picture with added captions is really funny (didn’t add anything to the discussion, but having flown the beast in pilot training still really funny) :thumbsup:

Regards

Jim Barr

When the Tweet is mentioned there has to be mention of the Tomcat also to balance thing out, no thread is complete without the word Tomcat in it.

You weren't around when it all started three years back when the Tomcat had it's "Old Yeller" ending, so long story short: other way around. The Tweet reminds everybody that their favorite plane, no matter the version, branch or nationality, blows dead bears.*

P.S. - You also can't say "mighty tomcat" (or "mighty eagle" or "mighty flanker" etc...) That's a trademark infringement upon The Mighty Tweetâ„¢ :cheers:

* Thank you Canada, that's the phrase that pays!

When the Tweet is mentioned there has to be mention of the mightly TOMCAT also to balance thing out, no thread is complete without the word TOMCAT in it.

I'm doing a reference book on the Tomcat - Uncovering the Modern F-14 Tomcat Guide Walkaround. It will be better than anything yet published and anything anyone has even dreamed of publishing. Here's a sample:

razor_blade.jpg

Speaking of which, I'm having trouble coming across photos of a disassembled Mach III . If anyone has these and sends them my way, I'll list your name in the credits (spelled correctly, even) and give you a discount on the book when it's available. Of course I'll need at least 300 angles to choose 295 pictures. It's just about ready to publish so look for it 2011 Q3. Or, look on all your favorite modeling sites where I'll be hawking it direct. Lots.

Edited by Sean Bratton

"Speaking of which, I'm having trouble coming across photos of a disassembled Mach III ™. If anyone has these and sends them my way, I'll list your name in the credits (spelled correctly, even) and give you a discount on the book when it's available. Of course I'll need at least 300 angles to choose 295 pictures. It's just about ready to publish so look for it 2011 Q3. Or, look on all your favorite modeling sites where I'll be hawking it direct. Lots."

Here's one I think...

P8300192.jpg

It's only a partally disassembled Mach III though!

Curt

No one's commented/asked/explained about the different attitude (in the aviation sense) of each pylon? The outboard ones are angled down (independently of being angled 45 degrees to the side), the middle is angled up, the inner one is level.

I think the "angle to the side" is just parallax. The picture is taken with a fairly wide-angle lens. The angle down is real. It's probably because they want the sidewinders pointing straight ahead in flight and the aircraft is slightly nose-up in normal flight? F-16s missile rails are angled down, about 4 degrees I believe, for that reason. The bombs don't care if they're not exactly level in flight.

And as for the capabilities of the F-35, remember back in '90 when all the "experts" claimed the M-1 was waste of money and a hunk of junk that wouldn't last a day in the desert sand and dust with that stupid gas turbine engine? Let's give it a chance to prove itself. I'm expecting the data-link and DAS to be way more important than stealth. The situational awareness that an F-35 pilot is going to be able to wield is going to be tremendous.

I think the "angle to the side" is just parallax. The picture is taken with a fairly wide-angle lens. The angle down is real. It's probably because they want the sidewinders pointing straight ahead in flight and the aircraft is slightly nose-up in normal flight? F-16s missile rails are angled down, about 4 degrees I believe, for that reason. The bombs don't care if they're not exactly level in flight.

And as for the capabilities of the F-35, remember back in '90 when all the "experts" claimed the M-1 was waste of money and a hunk of junk that wouldn't last a day in the desert sand and dust with that stupid gas turbine engine? Let's give it a chance to prove itself. I'm expecting the data-link and DAS to be way more important than stealth. The situational awareness that an F-35 pilot is going to be able to wield is going to be tremendous.

No, the angle to the side is real...

I would think that the F-16 wingtip rails angled down was due to wing twist rather than any specific need for the missile to be precisely aligned; remember that the missile can be fired throughout the flight envelope, which includes high-AOA flight with the missile rather significantly off-axis to the incoming flow.

No, the angle to the side is real...

I would think that the F-16 wingtip rails angled down was due to wing twist rather than any specific need for the missile to be precisely aligned; remember that the missile can be fired throughout the flight envelope, which includes high-AOA flight with the missile rather significantly off-axis to the incoming flow.

'dunno, that's what I was told. I only loaded them on the airplanes. And that is a wide angle shot, that certainly exaggerates any tow-out on the pylons.

Edited by Grey Ghost 531